AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New York State Thruway  (Read 281731 times)

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: Today at 01:12:54 AM
Re: New York State Thruway
« Reply #1825 on: February 19, 2020, 06:53:38 PM »

Do the Thruway service areas not still have mechanics and repair shops?

I think those were taken out with the 90s renovations.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MASTERNC

• Last Login: February 19, 2020, 08:06:32 PM
« Reply #1826 on: February 19, 2020, 08:00:23 PM »

I'm doing some research for a project about the NY Thruway's service plaza. Iím looking for some information that can put NYís thruway stops in perspective. Are they run-of-the-mill, compared to other states? Do some toll roads have stops with more amenities (car wash? Showers? Mechanics? Non-fast food choices?). Is there one standout among rest stops? If so, Iíd love to know about it.
I'm trying to get a feel for how rest stops are reinventing themselves and if thatís a common trend or not and compare how NY stands up to the other states. Any help you can provide is most appreciated!

I think Illinois put car washes in many of their service plazas (oases) during the last renovation.

SignBridge

• Last Login: February 19, 2020, 10:01:48 PM
« Reply #1827 on: February 19, 2020, 09:24:13 PM »

It's regrettable that most rest-stops today only have fast-food fare.
When I was growing up in the 1960's all these service areas had sit-down chain restaurants. Howard Johnsons was the most common, but there were other brands as well.

Rothman

• Last Login: February 19, 2020, 09:45:23 PM
« Reply #1828 on: February 19, 2020, 09:44:22 PM »

Nobody has time to sit down and tip.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

• Last Login: February 19, 2020, 10:08:27 PM
« Reply #1829 on: February 19, 2020, 09:54:56 PM »

It's regrettable that most rest-stops today only have fast-food fare.
When I was growing up in the 1960's all these service areas had sit-down chain restaurants. Howard Johnsons was the most common, but there were other brands as well.
Not only rest stops but also Dunkin Donuts (now just Dunkin) had sit down with servers waiting on you before it went walk up and wait at counter and seat yourself.

For a while NJ Turnpike had Marriot when they owned Roy Rogers and Bob's Big Boy had your choice.  For sit down it was Bob's and for eat n run it was Roy's.  Do not know if the NYS Thruway had the two eatery concept of one sit down and other pay and wait like NJ did or not.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.