AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PA Turnpike News  (Read 508049 times)

Roadsguy

• Last Login: November 16, 2018, 09:50:01 PM
Re: PA Turnpike News
« Reply #2025 on: October 12, 2018, 11:57:45 PM »

Does the PTC plan to remove the toll plazas from the newly-AET sections at some point?

Since tolls are no longer being collected at 576's exits, I would assume they will come down.  The ones for 376 will probably have the canopies removed and replaced with gantries for the tag readers and cameras.

They haven't removed the plazas on 576 yet? I know they intended to since they put in that mainline gantry in the middle of it.
[thing you don't like] is better than [thing you like]

MASTERNC

• Last Login: November 15, 2018, 09:53:54 PM
« Reply #2026 on: October 19, 2018, 09:17:02 PM »

So they're just going to have traffic go slowly through the existing barriers at many spots?  Wow, they're REALLY cheaping out on this!

According to the latest electronic tolling RFP, open road tolling would be targeted for 2024 west of Lancaster.  You can see the approximate tolling point locations on page 229 of the PDF.

https://www.paturnpike.com/OUTPUT/PDFs/RFPs/101001.pdf

vdeane

• Last Login: November 16, 2018, 08:54:49 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #2027 on: October 19, 2018, 11:13:55 PM »

So the "use existing barriers" thing is temporary then.  That makes sense.  The ticket system is certainly a lot of work to convert.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadsguy

« Reply #2028 on: November 10, 2018, 06:47:31 PM »

I was just in a trip today going eastbound on the Turnpike approaching the Willow Grove interchange. For some reason, they put up a new diagrammatic sign for the two-lane exit. (It's not an option lane split.) What's really special about it, though, is that in addition to the I-276 shield on the pull-through side, it had a PA Turnpike shield. This is common practice on the NTJP now, but I've never seen this done on the Turnpike mainline before. BGSes for ramps leading to the toll plazas will have Turnpike shields, but once in the system, it's only signed as its Interstate designations.

I don't know exactly when this was put up, but it wasn't there the day the Turnpike-95 flyovers opened when my dad and I went over to drive them. The sign was entirely Highway Gothic, which makes it very likely that the PTC has not switched back to Clearview. (PennDOT I'm not so sure.)

Unfortunately I didn't get a picture since I wasn't expecting it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:49:49 PM by Roadsguy »

ipeters61

• Highway Safety Analyst

• Last Login: Today at 10:35:02 AM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2029 on: November 11, 2018, 07:51:08 AM »

I don't know exactly when this was put up, but it wasn't there the day the Turnpike-95 flyovers opened when my dad and I went over to drive them. The sign was entirely Highway Gothic, which makes it very likely that the PTC has not switched back to Clearview. (PennDOT I'm not so sure.)
"Has not switched back to Clearview"...what do you mean?  I thought Clearview was now officially deemed unacceptable?  And I thought PennDOT has now switched back to Highway Gothic too?
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram

ixnay

• Last Login: Today at 12:01:51 PM
« Reply #2030 on: November 11, 2018, 08:32:07 AM »

"Has not switched back to Clearview"...what do you mean?  I thought Clearview was now officially deemed unacceptable?  And I thought PennDOT has now switched back to Highway Gothic too?

"Did you ever have to make up your mind
And pick up on one and leave the other behind?"

Make up *your* mind, highway officials!

ixnay

Roadsguy

« Reply #2031 on: November 11, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »

ixnay

Wasn't it Congress that reinstated approval in a bill or something?

As before, it's up to the states to use it or not. Hopefully PennDOT and/or the PTC realize that maybe there's a reason the FHWA would yank approval.

ipeters61

• Highway Safety Analyst

• Last Login: Today at 10:35:02 AM
    • Personal Website
« Reply #2032 on: November 11, 2018, 11:52:23 AM »

ixnay

Wasn't it Congress that reinstated approval in a bill or something?

As before, it's up to the states to use it or not. Hopefully PennDOT and/or the PTC realize that maybe there's a reason the FHWA would yank approval.
Well I found something that did pass the US House (Title I, Section 125)... https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/3354?q=%7B%22search%22%3A%5B%22h+res+555%22%5D%7D
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram

briantroutman

• Last Login: Today at 02:17:24 PM
    • briantroutman.com/land
« Reply #2033 on: November 11, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »

Just to summarize—this isn't a matter of the FHWA or any DOT being indecisive.

After over a decade of review, FHWA decided to rescind its interim approval of Clearview—and by doing, in effect mandating that state DOTs revert back to using standard FHWA sign alphabets.

A group of legislators representing Texas ramrodded through a line item in a kitchen sink appropriations bill forcing FHWA to allow Clearview once again.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: November 16, 2018, 04:47:49 PM
« Reply #2034 on: November 12, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »

Just to summarize—this isn't a matter of the FHWA or any DOT being indecisive.

After over a decade of review, FHWA decided to rescind its interim approval of Clearview—and by doing, in effect mandating that state DOTs revert back to using standard FHWA sign alphabets.

A group of legislators representing Texas ramrodded through a line item in a kitchen sink appropriations bill forcing FHWA to allow Clearview once again.
And since that happened; three state DOT agencies (KY, TX & VA) have presently since reintroduced usage of the Clearview font per the original IA.

In PA, aside from some already-fabricated signs being recently erected, Clearview seemed all but dead until a couple of new ramp signs for I-95 northbound in Northeast Philadelphia that featured New York lettering in Clearview started appearing about a month ago.  In contrast, other related-new signs and/or mods (New York legends placed over Trenton legends) in the area featured such in Highway Gothic.

Time will tell whether or not those newer Clearview installs were just isolated instances; but that's for another existing thread topic.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:54:12 AM by PHLBOS »
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.