News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Have you been to every county in your state (or any other state)?

Started by golden eagle, March 04, 2011, 12:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiaman

Been   to  every  county  in  my  state  of  residence , New  Mexico,  (only  33).  and  clinched  every  county  in RI (not  hard ) ,DE,  and  all but  one  in  AZ  and  NV

deathtopumpkins

I've been to every county in CT, DC (not hard), DE, and NH. Close on MA (only missing the Islands).
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

mtantillo

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 22, 2013, 10:42:42 PM
I've been to every county in CT, DC (not hard), DE, and NH. Close on MA (only missing the Islands).

Have you been to all 8 wards in DC?

Wards 7 and 8 can be clinched by driving DC 295/I-295.  Ward 6 is Capitol Hill.  Ward 2 is downtown and the monuments.  Ward 3 is Upper NW.  Ward 5 you'll get if you do NY Avenue out into MD.  Ward 1 is the dead center of the District geographically, and Ward 4 is at the northern tip and you clinch those two by driving up 16th Street to Silver Spring. 

Interesting fact, I've lived in two of DC's wards, but never actually moved (they shifted the boundaries under my feet after the 2010 Census results were tabulated).

froggie

Since you went there, Mike, have you been to all 8 wards of DC via a travel means other than automobile?  I've done it both by bicycle and by Metro.  You can catch 6 of the 8 wards via the Red Line (except 7/8) or Green Line (except 3/7) alone.

KEVIN_224

Also, there are some states which don't mark their counties while on the road. Connecticut is a great example of this, as we only use counties (seemingly) during weather warnings and jury duty. When you cross from Newtown to Southbury along I-84/US 6 East (as an example) over the Housatonic River, the sign simply says "SOUTHBURY | TOWN LINE". The Maine signs indicate county along I-95/Maine Turnpike and any state highway. The cross from Old Orchard Beach into Scarborough (on ME Route 9) had the town name horizontally on a wood post, with the county name in a small rectangle vertically. It may have changed, since I lived in O.O.B. in the mid-1980s (you crossed from York into Cumberland County).

New Hampshire counties: Rockingham (Portsmouth, I-95 and parts of the Spaulding Turnpike), Cheshire (Chesterfield and Hinsdale), the county with Hanover (crossing the river from White River Junction on foot) and the counties with Salem, Nashua, Manchester and Concord. I've been as far north as Wolfeboro. Forgive me for not knowing every county there.

Vermont Counties: Bennington (enter VT lifetime in 1990 on US Route 7), Windham (especially Brattleboro) and the one with White River Junction (Windsor?).

Massachusetts Counties: Berkshire, Hampden, Hampshire, Franklin, Worcester, Middlesex, Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk and Bristol for certain. I've never been to Plymouth County, as far as I know. I've been as far as Dartmouth on I-195 (1990). I've never been on Cape Cod or the islands (so definitely no Dukes or Barnstable counties).

Rhode Island Counties: Providence, Kent, Washington and Newport. Likely missing Bristol County.

New York Counties: All 5 boroughs of NYC (Bronx, New York, Kings, Queens and Richmond), Westchester, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess, Albany, Rensselaer, Columbia, Schenectady (Troy?) and the county with Cooperstown. I think I've been in Rockland County as well.

New Jersey Counties: All the counties with Amtrak, the NJ Turnpike, I-80 and I-78. I've been to Atlantic City (1992) and Wildwood for baseball (2011). I've been to baseball in Bridgewater (Somerset County).

Pennsylvania Counties: Philadelphia, Bucks, Delaware, Lackawanna, Luzerne, I-84 in PA, I-81 in PA from I-84 in Dunmore south via I-81 in and including Harrisburg (Dauphin). I was west of the river on that trip in Cumberland County, by Camp Hill, I think? I've also once made a stop at PIT, the airport in western Allegheny County. I've also been in Allentown and Bethlehem, but forget which county those are in. I've been in Berks County for Reading.

Delaware Counties: New Castle

Maryland Counties: Cecil, Harford, Baltimore and Prince Georges. I've been to Silver Spring and much of the run involving the Baltimore-Washington Parkway.

More later. Gotta run! :(

froggie

Only 4 states east of the Mississippi where I'm "missing counties":  Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Conversely, there's 4 states west of the Mississippi that I'm missing entirely (MT, NV, OR, AK) and 4 other states west of the Mississippi that I've "completed" (MN, IA, AR, LA).

texaskdog

Quote from: froggie on May 23, 2013, 09:31:51 AM
Only 4 states east of the Mississippi where I'm "missing counties":  Florida, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Conversely, there's 4 states west of the Mississippi that I'm missing entirely (MT, NV, OR, AK) and 4 other states west of the Mississippi that I've "completed" (MN, IA, AR, LA).

Wow, I'm just trying to GO to all 50 states

agentsteel53

Quote from: mtantillo on May 23, 2013, 01:55:10 AM

I have!  DC is ripe for old-sign hunting.  I don't think I've walked as through traffic into each ward, but I am quite certain I have gotten out and walked up to a sign worth photographing in each. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

oscar

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 23, 2013, 09:24:29 AM
Also, there are some states which don't mark their counties while on the road. Connecticut is a great example of this, as we only use counties (seemingly) during weather warnings and jury duty. When you cross from Newtown to Southbury along I-84/US 6 East (as an example) over the Housatonic River, the sign simply says "SOUTHBURY | TOWN LINE". The Maine signs indicate county along I-95/Maine Turnpike and any state highway. The cross from Old Orchard Beach into Scarborough (on ME Route 9) had the town name horizontally on a wood post, with the county name in a small rectangle vertically. It may have changed, since I lived in O.O.B. in the mid-1980s (you crossed from York into Cumberland County).

Some county lines elsewhere are poorly/unevenly marked for whatever reason.  For example, I saw no signs for Hooker County in Nebraska on NE 2 (gee, I wonder why?), even though county lines generally are well-marked elsewhere in the state.

The census areas in Alaska, and divisions in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Newfoundland are also unmarked, except sometimes in Alaska you can tell when you're entering a census area from a borough by looking in your rear-view mirror for the borough line sign.  Since those areas are defined by national-level census officials for statistical purposes rather than by the state/province as a unit of local government, it's unsurprising that highway crews don't bother marking them.  You can also argue about whether to count them at all for county-counting purposes.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NWI_Irish96

By car - All 8 wards
By Metro - All but 4 & 5 (though did get 5 on Amtrak)
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

empirestate

Quote from: oscar on May 23, 2013, 02:11:32 PM
The census areas in Alaska, and divisions in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Newfoundland are also unmarked, except sometimes in Alaska you can tell when you're entering a census area from a borough by looking in your rear-view mirror for the borough line sign.  Since those areas are defined by national-level census officials for statistical purposes rather than by the state/province as a unit of local government, it's unsurprising that highway crews don't bother marking them.  You can also argue about whether to count them at all for county-counting purposes.

From the state's point of view, aren't all of the census areas considered a single borough, the so-called Unorganized one?

oscar

Quote from: empirestate on May 23, 2013, 05:49:31 PM
Quote from: oscar on May 23, 2013, 02:11:32 PM

From the state's point of view, aren't all of the census areas considered a single borough, the so-called Unorganized one?

Yes, but Alaska's Unorganized Borough is not signed as such.  If it were, those would be some really neat county line signs.  :)
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

mtantillo

Quote from: froggie on May 23, 2013, 03:04:09 AM
Since you went there, Mike, have you been to all 8 wards of DC via a travel means other than automobile?  I've done it both by bicycle and by Metro.  You can catch 6 of the 8 wards via the Red Line (except 7/8) or Green Line (except 3/7) alone.

Passing through on public transit: I think I have all wards.  Ward 1: Taken Metro to Columbia Heights, and my apartment used to be in Ward 1.  Ward 2: Metro to downtown and Circulator to Georgetown.  Ward 3: I live there and take transit from my apartment.  Ward 4: I think the Red Line to Glenmont goes through Ward 4.  Ward 5: Red Line towards Glenmont and also Amtrak.  Ward 6: Metro to Capitol Hill.  Ward 7: Green line to Branch Ave.  Ward 8: Orange Line to New Carrollton. 

Actually leaving a mass transit vehicle: Wards 1, 2, 3, 4*, and 6...never had a reason to visit Wards 5, 7, or 8 via transit.  *Ward 4, I've walked to from Silver Spring, MD. 

Via car and actually leaving the vehicle, not just passing through: Wards 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. 

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 22, 2013, 10:42:42 PM

Wards 7 and 8 can be clinched by driving DC 295/I-295.  Ward 6 is Capitol Hill.  Ward 2 is downtown and the monuments.  Ward 3 is Upper NW.  Ward 5 you'll get if you do NY Avenue out into MD.  Ward 1 is the dead center of the District geographically, and Ward 4 is at the northern tip and you clinch those two by driving up 16th Street to Silver Spring.

I've driven 295, so yep 7 and 8. Been all over the mall, to the capitol, etc., so I presume that covers 6 and 2. I have done NY Ave, so 5 as well.  I haven't actually explored much of DC outside of interstates and the touristy area though, so I dunno about 1, 3, and 4.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Duke87

DC Wards

I have never been to Ward 3, but I have the other seven.

Of those seven, I've been through all of them by car, but I've only actually put my feet on the ground in 2, 6, and possibly 7 - RFK stadium is half in 6, half in 7. My seat when I saw the Nats there was definitely on the 6 side but I may have stepped across the line at some point.
I've only been on the Metro in 2 and 6.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on May 23, 2013, 08:54:08 PM
DC Wards

Of those seven, I've been through all of them by car, but I've only actually put my feet on the ground in 2, 6, and possibly 7 - RFK stadium is half in 6, half in 7. My seat when I saw the Nats there was definitely on the 6 side but I may have stepped across the line at some point.
I don't know what you call the lettered divisions (subwards?), but I'm pretty sure I have all of those.

mtantillo

Quote from: Steve on May 23, 2013, 09:12:26 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on May 23, 2013, 08:54:08 PM
DC Wards

I don't know what you call the lettered divisions (subwards?), but I'm pretty sure I have all of those.

ANCs, or Advisory Neighborhood Commissions. 
http://anc.dc.gov/

kkt

jp the roadgeek

All counties of CT,RI, and DE.  Otherwise
MA: All except Dukes and Nantucket
ME: York, Oxford, Cumberland, Androscoggin, Kennebec
NH: All except Coos
VT: All except Essex, Franklin, and Addison
NY: 5 boroughs, Long Island, all counties along and east of I-87 to Canada, along the Thruway to Buffalo, Niagara
NJ: All except Cumberland
PA: Bucks, Philadelphia, Delaware, Chester, Lehigh, Northampton, Monroe, Pike, Lancaster, York, Dauphin, Berks, Montgomery, Adams, Franklin
MD: Baltimore City & County, Harford, Cecil, Howard, Montgomery, Prince George, Anne Arundel, Washington, Frederick, Queen Anne's, Kent, Worcester, Somerset, Wicomico, Carroll
VA: Fairfax, Loudon, Counties of US 13 north of Norfolk and US 58 east of I-95
WV: Jefferson, Berkeley
NC, SC: Counties of I-95
GA: Counties of I-95 and Fulton
FL: Counties of FL Turnpike Orlando and South, I-4, I-95 north of I-4, Monroe
MO: St. Louis
HI: Honolulu, Kauai
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

The High Plains Traveler

I lived in New Mexico 6 years and got every county but Harding. I occasionally look at a route toward Texas from here using NM-39 so I can finally clinch that one. I lived in Minnesota 25 years and got every county but Lake of the Woods. Given that the County boundary follows the shoreline of that lake, I could argue standing on the shore in Warroad qualifies. I am heading northeast into Nebraska in a few weeks, and if time allows I can route myself through two rural counties in NE Colorado and clinch this state. I think my award in this category is CBNC.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Alps

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on May 24, 2013, 07:50:30 PM
I lived in New Mexico 6 years and got every county but Harding. I occasionally look at a route toward Texas from here using NM-39 so I can finally clinch that one. I lived in Minnesota 25 years and got every county but Lake of the Woods. Given that the County boundary follows the shoreline of that lake, I could argue standing on the shore in Warroad qualifies. I am heading northeast into Nebraska in a few weeks, and if time allows I can route myself through two rural counties in NE Colorado and clinch this state. I think my award in this category is CBNC.
I just got Lake of the Woods by heading east (:

Laura

I've clinched all of the counties in my home state, Maryland. I also have all of the wards in DC and all of the counties in Delaware and New Jersey. I am missing one county in Connecticut (Litchfield).

I lived in Virginia for four years and have 121/134 of the counties and independent cities. I am missing eight counties and one city in the southwest corner of the state (I had to back out of a planned trip down there in '09 and never rescheduled). I am also missing two random counties (Franklin and Lunenburg) and two cities (Franklin and Poquoson).

The link to my county clinch map is in my signature.

Duke87

Quote from: Duke87 on January 12, 2013, 05:25:59 PM
I have been to every county in DC (1990?), Delaware (April 2005), Connecticut (February 2010), Rhode Island (August 2010), Vermont (September 2011), New Jersey (December 2011), and New York (November 2012).

If I add another state to that list this year it will probably be New Hampshire.

Added New Hampshire and Maryland.

I also just wondered about something and so I looked into it: have I been to every municipality in Connecticut? The answer is no, but I am at 167/169 (missing Wolcott and Sprague). OK, that's not too shabby.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SteveG1988

I have been to every county in delaware. Albeit that is three counties so it is kinda easy to do, i think i ahve been to at least 18 out of 21 nj counties, i sometimes forget what places we went on family trips as a kid, but i have been up to the delaware water gap in NJ and over the GWB on the hudson side of the state, so i think a few of the extreme northern counties are due for me to go to, just incase i missed em as a kid.  all the counties below 287 i have been through, several times in fact.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

rte66man

I've been to all 77 counties in my home state of Oklahoma.  Been to the vast majority of the county seats as well.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.