AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Kentucky  (Read 71201 times)

tidecat

• I'm only here so I don't get fined.

• Last Login: September 06, 2021, 01:27:42 PM
Re: Kentucky
« Reply #275 on: May 08, 2021, 10:45:40 AM »

https://hmbpe.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=de6cc3161dfa41aeb6fc662dbe2e1b44
This is interesting. There are long-term plans to widen Interstate 64 through Cherokee Park east of downtown which includes the Cochran Hill Tunnels. Proposals include widening the tunnels to provide three lanes in each direction; building a third tunnel for the peak direction; and building a third tunnel for a HOV lane.
This seems highly unnecessary. I-64 isn't bad during peak times, and there isn't traffic to justify this most of the day.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 08:07:33 PM
    • Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #276 on: July 12, 2021, 05:59:39 PM »

The Nicholasville east-side bypass is now visible in Google: https://goo.gl/maps/PEUhbbWx6piBGsAf7

It looks like a high-quality bypass with a curbed median and narrower shoulders, similar to the Versailles bypass: https://goo.gl/maps/aD46wuZijCVDEtki9

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 08:02:27 PM
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2021, 08:34:22 AM »

I missed a full clinch of I-64 as a result of this detour.  Going WB, I was surprised that the EB detour was not already the same.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/kytc-makes-change-to-i-64-detour-after-troubled-first-weekend/article_decaf190-15c6-11ec-b9bb-2362d23ea758.html
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2021, 09:13:21 AM »

Good job, KYTC. Who would have thought to run trucks over narrow residential routes where the trucks couldn't make turns without running over poles and fire hydrants? The Cherokee Park neighborhood is chock full of narrow roadways.

milbfan

• Last Login: November 21, 2021, 01:16:56 PM
« Reply #279 on: September 25, 2021, 04:58:38 PM »

Are they actually going to do some road rehab on US 23, heading into/out of KY from Virginia?  Man, that's long overdue.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: December 03, 2021, 02:44:58 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #280 on: September 25, 2021, 05:04:57 PM »

Are they actually going to do some road rehab on US 23, heading into/out of KY from Virginia?  Man, that's long overdue.

Yes. Announced this week. Pavement rehab from the state line northbound (downhill) to KY 805.

I identify as vaccinated.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 11:50:44 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2021, 02:09:55 PM »

The Wikipedia article on the Ironton-Russel Bridge seems to blend info from the Oakley C. Collins Memorial Bridge into it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironton%E2%80%93Russell_Bridge
Yet they're clearly two separate bridges.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.5292572,-82.6857412,1693m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Bitmapped

• Last Login: Today at 09:06:16 AM
« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2021, 05:43:15 PM »

The Wikipedia article on the Ironton-Russel Bridge seems to blend info from the Oakley C. Collins Memorial Bridge into it.

One is the replacement for the other. You're welcome to help rewrite the article(s) to clarify the situation.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2021, 08:35:14 PM »

One is the replacement for the other. You're welcome to help rewrite the article(s) to clarify the situation.

No one I know of refers to the bridge as the Oakley C. Collins Memorial Bridge. Everyone calls it the Ironton-Russell Bridge. Or on this side of the river, sometimes just the Ironton Bridge.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #284 on: October 06, 2021, 03:04:22 PM »

Newscasts sometimes refer to the Robert C. Byrd Bridge in Huntington as its original name: the 6th Street Bridge. Practically no one uses honorary or name-based designations.

GCrites80s

• Last Login: Today at 06:34:46 PM
« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2021, 08:58:34 PM »

That and there's tons of other stuff named after him in WV so it gets confusing. It's like Veterans' Highways in Ohio.

tolbs17

• Last Login: December 02, 2021, 11:15:56 PM
« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2021, 09:15:17 AM »

They delayed closing the Sherman Minton Bridge due to heavy rain.

Georgia

• Last Login: December 01, 2021, 03:15:10 PM
« Reply #287 on: November 01, 2021, 06:00:14 PM »

Kentucky has the middle 8 miles of the 75 widening opening and it has been great to have.  Now i can wait for the first 5 and last 7 miles to be done!!!

74/171FAN

• Last Login: Today at 08:02:27 PM
« Reply #288 on: November 21, 2021, 11:54:26 AM »

They're also turning the currently-signalized intersection at Perry Park Road into a grade-separated interchange.

How are they pulling that one off?  Did they take out the business on one corner and/or the rock ledge on the other corner?
'

Cutting into the side of the mountain on the east side of existing KY 15 and elongating the new bridge over the river and KY 80/KY 550.

Gotcha. I'm surprised they didn't build an interchange with the bypass - removing the gas station to make room for the ramps.

An interchange with the bypass was never considered. They did look at making the bypass-to-KY-15 movement the through movement but scuttled it due to ROW costs. That Double Kwik food mart is relatively new and would have been very expensive to purchase and demolish and relocate.

Is this project still expected to be completed this year as indicated in this article?

Well, I don't have any reason to doubt the guy they interviewed for that story last year.  :bigass:

Yes, they should have it substantially complete by the end of this year, depending on the weather not being too bad this summer. It's possible that the final surface may not be laid down until next year, but the bridge over the river/KY 550/Perry Park Road should open this year.

The KYTC District 10 Facebook Page states that this project is substantially complete as of November 9, 2021.

It also looks like the KY 30 Realignment between US 421 and KY 847 will open in January.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 12:23:49 PM by 74/171FAN »
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #289 on: November 21, 2021, 05:46:45 PM »

They're also turning the currently-signalized intersection at Perry Park Road into a grade-separated interchange.

How are they pulling that one off?  Did they take out the business on one corner and/or the rock ledge on the other corner?
'

Cutting into the side of the mountain on the east side of existing KY 15 and elongating the new bridge over the river and KY 80/KY 550.

Gotcha. I'm surprised they didn't build an interchange with the bypass - removing the gas station to make room for the ramps.

An interchange with the bypass was never considered. They did look at making the bypass-to-KY-15 movement the through movement but scuttled it due to ROW costs. That Double Kwik food mart is relatively new and would have been very expensive to purchase and demolish and relocate.

Is this project still expected to be completed this year as indicated in this article?

Well, I don't have any reason to doubt the guy they interviewed for that story last year.  :bigass:

Yes, they should have it substantially complete by the end of this year, depending on the weather not being too bad this summer. It's possible that the final surface may not be laid down until next year, but the bridge over the river/KY 550/Perry Park Road should open this year.

The KYTC District 10 Facebook Page states that this project is substantially complete as of November 9, 2021.

It also looks like the KY 30 Realignment between US 421 and KY 847 will open in January.

Hmmm. Wonder who posted those updates?  :bigass:

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2021, 06:57:38 PM »

I can't believe how much better it is rolling through Hazard. But I also keep thinking about how much could have been avoided if just right-of-way control was exercised. That segment of highway was quite old, having been built around 1965, and it included steep grades, but it also had a lot of driveway intersections at the worst of locations. I am surprised that not all of the intersections were removed - including a few driveway entrances. It's also good to see the four-lane expansion progress north to KY 267 but it didn't seem that access control is as strict there - and it's essentially a five-lane road with a center turn lane.

Unrelated to that project, but it looks like the new Cairo Bridge over the Ohio River in far western Kentucky will be replaced with a new structure immediately north of the existing crossing. Designs are centered on a Warren through truss (without verticals), a cable-stayed suspension, and an arch. I am hoping for the latter.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #291 on: November 22, 2021, 10:34:35 AM »

I can't believe how much better it is rolling through Hazard. But I also keep thinking about how much could have been avoided if just right-of-way control was exercised. That segment of highway was quite old, having been built around 1965, and it included steep grades, but it also had a lot of driveway intersections at the worst of locations. I am surprised that not all of the intersections were removed - including a few driveway entrances. It's also good to see the four-lane expansion progress north to KY 267 but it didn't seem that access control is as strict there - and it's essentially a five-lane road with a center turn lane.

There were some improvements made to access control along the section north of the KY 267 overpass. Unlike the section between KY 267 and KY 80/Hal Rogers Parkway, part of that section was built on a new alignment, and the old route was left as the access points for a handful of businesses located there. It reduced the number of entrances onto the four-lane.

GCrites80s

« Reply #292 on: November 22, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »

'

Hmmm. Wonder who posted those updates?  :bigass:

Ha ha, you had to say "coat of blacktop" instead of "course of asphalt" since you were talking to the public.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #293 on: November 23, 2021, 10:13:44 AM »

Ha ha, you had to say "coat of blacktop" instead of "course of asphalt" since you were talking to the public.

I try to avoid engineer-speak whenever possible.

GCrites80s

« Reply #294 on: November 23, 2021, 12:20:10 PM »

It's better that way.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #295 on: November 27, 2021, 07:45:00 PM »

When I was looking at project plans for US 119 between Whitesburg and Harlan, I came across this interesting tidbit about the newest portion that opened just south of the Pine Mountain crossing:

The cover map seemingly shows the extension of US 119 toward Pine Mountain and the last drawing shows the extension as well. Have they determined the final routing over or under the mountain?

Google map for reference: https://goo.gl/maps/bDSjCYHu4zVt1bFe7
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 07:49:36 PM by seicer »

Bitmapped

• Last Login: Today at 09:06:16 AM
« Reply #296 on: November 28, 2021, 09:53:37 AM »

When I was looking at project plans for US 119 between Whitesburg and Harlan, I came across this interesting tidbit about the newest portion that opened just south of the Pine Mountain crossing:

The cover map seemingly shows the extension of US 119 toward Pine Mountain and the last drawing shows the extension as well. Have they determined the final routing over or under the mountain?

Google map for reference: https://goo.gl/maps/bDSjCYHu4zVt1bFe7

That alignment looks more like what I would expect for a tunnel than an actual mountain crossing, unless they're planning a ginormous cut at the summit. The existing road takes a lot more distance to surmount that grade, but this diagram looks like a setup for a pretty direct attack.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #297 on: November 28, 2021, 07:10:04 PM »

A tunnel has been the chosen option for many years, due to environmental concerns on the mountain and nearby areas.

seicer

• Bridges & Tunnels
« Reply #298 on: November 28, 2021, 08:08:16 PM »

Ah - thanks for the clarification. I always wondered why they couldn't just leave the corridor as-is with improvements to things like lane and shoulder widths since it doesn't carry that much traffic, but I suspect that the overriding factor is simply to complete the corridor.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #299 on: November 29, 2021, 11:00:27 AM »

There's a certain school of thought that has it that the improvements done to existing US 119 across the mountain 20 years ago are all that will ever be done, but the corridor isn't considered complete by ARC.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.