News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Two roads with same or similar name that intersect

Started by ftballfan, May 05, 2011, 09:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

It's fairly common for a name to make a turn at an intersection (i.e. two legs have the same name). But how about three legs? Boggy Creek Road ends at Boggy Creek Road south of Orlando International Airport, right on the Orange-Osceola County line. In other words, all three legs of the T intersection have the same name, and they all go in different directions (it's not a loop ending at itself).
GSV of the street sign (posted by Osceola County)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tollboothrob

Church Road and Church Street in Mount Laurel, NJ
Longtime roadgeek, MTR and AARoads follower. Employee of NJ Turnpike Operations Department

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Henry

I forgot about Wacker Drive in Chicago.

(North Wacker, South Wacker, East Wacker and West Wacker)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Quote from: Henry on May 06, 2011, 10:09:54 AM

Don't forget Upper Wacker, Lower Wacker, and the third level (does it have a name?).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 06, 2011, 10:12:34 AM

Don't forget Upper Wacker, Lower Wacker, and the third level (does it have a name?).
I meant to include those too! :)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

rawmustard

bulldog1979

the Grand Rapids (MI) area has the intersections of Burton and Breton as well as Fulton and Fuller. All four are major streets in the area.

pianocello

In Iowa City, IA there is a Dubuque Street and a Dubuque Road, but they don't intersect. I'm guessing the reason behind the naming is because Dubuque Road implies that the road goes to Dubuque (it did at one time) and used to be the name of the street outside the city limits, whereas Dubuque Street has always been inside the city. This might be the same case with the White Pigeon discrepancy mentioned above.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

deathtopumpkins

Boston is absolutely full of examples of this. Apart from the actual streets that share the same name however, it seems that most examples are just small cul-de-sacs or dead ends off of roads that share their same name.

For example, my sister lived near the intersection of Carlton and Monmouth in Brookline until recently, and a block away on Monmouth was the intersection of Monmouth St and Monmouth Ct (IIRC), Street being the through road and Court being the dead-end off of it.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

JCinSummerfield

Going south out of Deerfield, MI (Lenawee Country), Rodesiler Hwy comes to a T intersection, where Rodesiler Hwy goes to both the east and the west! The eastern leg goes about 1/4 mile and ends at County Line Rd.  The western leg goes west about 1/2 mile where it turns south and continues south to the OH state line.

ftballfan

Has anyone mentioned Temple St meeting Temple St in downtown Salt Lake City, UT?

realjd

Quote from: NE2 on May 06, 2011, 03:12:33 AM
It's fairly common for a name to make a turn at an intersection (i.e. two legs have the same name). But how about three legs? Boggy Creek Road ends at Boggy Creek Road south of Orlando International Airport, right on the Orange-Osceola County line. In other words, all three legs of the T intersection have the same name, and they all go in different directions (it's not a loop ending at itself).

I'm always thrown by that when I drive to MCO from the south (192 - Narcoossee - Boggy Creek). I'm sure there's some interesting history behind it. Do you have any knowledge on why it ended up that way?

RoadWarrior56

Atlanta is loaded with them.  Just for starters there are over 20 different streets with the name "Peachtree" in the metro area, and some of them intersect (e.g. - Peachtree St. intersects with West Peachtree St.).

roadman65

Swainsboro, GA that once had the nickname "Where Main Streets meet" you have N-S Main Street intersect E-W Main Street.  So basically you have four Main Streets that come together at one intersection in the middle of town.

Orlando, FL has a World Center Drive what is the local street name for FL 536 and its continuation east of FL 535 into FL 417, and the roadway leading into the Marriot World Center Resort is also called World Center Drive as well.  They both intersect each other, although FL 536 is called "SR 536"at that intersection's road signs. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

golden eagle

Here in Jackson, there's Ridgewood Road and Ridgewood Court. Ridgewood Court was built as a short cut to get the Northpark Mall on County Line and the relieve traffic that would've otherwise been put on the other streets.

There's also Old Canton Road and Canton Mart Road, as well as East County Line and North County Line roads on the outskirts of town.

NE2

Quote from: realjd on May 17, 2011, 02:36:12 PM
Quote from: NE2 on May 06, 2011, 03:12:33 AM

I'm always thrown by that when I drive to MCO from the south (192 - Narcoossee - Boggy Creek). I'm sure there's some interesting history behind it. Do you have any knowledge on why it ended up that way?

Most likely each county named the road after Boggy Creek without realizing or caring that the names matched. In Orange County the name was in use by the late 1920s, when the county paved the road.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

But the street's name is simply "Wacker Dr" on the signs and they are one continuous street (even the Upper, Middle, and Lower parts).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Bickendan

Quote from: nexus73 on May 05, 2011, 08:01:33 PM
For numbers, 42 and 42S (state routes) intersect in Coquille.  42S is the original US 101 from Coquille to Bandon.  No other state route in Oregon has N/S/E/W suffixes anymore other than former US 99E/99W. 

Rick
Gotta correct you on that...
The 'S' doesn't mean south, it means 'Spur'.
OR 18S - McMinnville (not signed in the field)
OR 42S - as mentioned
OR 86S - Halfway (couldn't say if it's signed or not)
OR 104S - near Warrenton
OR 422S - Chiloquin

jdb1234

Green Springs Highway and Green Springs Avenue intersect just south of downtown Birmingham.

Kacie Jane

Chuckanut Drive (SR 11/old 99) south of Bellingham intersects Chuckanut Crest Drive, Chuckanut Heights Road, and Chuckanut Ridge Drive.

Chuckanut Lane and Chuckanut Shore Road are also in the area, and intersect each other, but are connected to Chuckanut Drive by Yacht Club Road.

vtk

http://osm.org/go/ZWD3yU_1T-
  • West leg: 4-lane boulevard, Hayden Run Road
  • East leg: 4-lane boulevard, Hayden Run Boulevard
  • South leg: 4-lane undivided road, Hayden Run Road
  • North leg: residential Spring River Avenue
  • And the whole thing is a 4-way stop.  Presumably, it will be made into a traffic light when Hayden Run Boulevard actually goes somewhere.

Also, Columbus also has the following:
  • 4th St & 4th Ave
  • 5th St & 5th Ave
  • 6th St & 6th Ave

Finally, on the east side, there's Havens Corners Road which parallels Havens Road less than a mile away.  Havens Corners Road intersects both Taylor Road and Taylor Station Road a couple of miles apart.  Taylor Station Road intersects a different Taylor Road about a mile away from where it intersects Havens Corners Road.  If one Taylor Road were extended east a couple of miles, it would intersect the other Taylor Road!  Needless to say, drivers in this area can become quite confused.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Kniwt

algorerhythms

Quote from: Bryant5493 on May 05, 2011, 09:43:46 AM
West Peachtree Street and Peachtree Street; Peachtree Battle Avenue and Peachtree Street; Peachtree Industrial Boulevard and Peachtree Parkway; and the list goes on...

Be well,

Bryant
I was in Atlanta last week for a conference, and we got directions to a bar that was at the corner of West Peachtree and Peachtree. The hotel the conference was at was on Peachtree Center. The hotel we stayed at was on Peachtree-Dunwoody Rd* (had to take the MARTA train to get to the conference each day, to Peachtree Center station). I take it from all of this that Atlanta really likes their peach trees.

*correction: upon looking at a map, I see it was actually on Hammond Rd just east of Peachtree-Dunwoody Rd.
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 05, 2011, 03:45:39 PM
This is in Austin, Texas. I suppose the names count as "similar."

Either that name is inaccurate, or that street is really short.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.