News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

IN SR 25 Upgrade Report

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

Speaking of the Lafayette area, is there is reason that US 52 is being rerouted over to the new US 231. Is it an INDOT request or something from Lafayette and West Lafayette?

RoadWarrior56

That appears to be an INDOT request, with the motivation most likely that Sagamore Parkway would no longer have to be maintained by INDOT.

vtk

Quote from: mukade on December 03, 2011, 09:22:45 PM
I've never seen a roundabout on an expressway before. How safe would that be?

Last year I drove on the expressway portion of MA 2 west of Boston, including a fairly large multilane roundabout.  Traffic entered and exited at about 40 MPH, maintaining two lanes all the way through, despite a lack of visible lane markings.  That was a bit scary.

I'm sure this new roundabout on IN 25 will be much smaller, slower, and safer.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vtk on December 08, 2011, 12:11:41 AM

Last year I drove on the expressway portion of MA 2 west of Boston, including a fairly large multilane roundabout.  Traffic entered and exited at about 40 MPH, maintaining two lanes all the way through, despite a lack of visible lane markings.  That was a bit scary.

standard fare in Europe.  works better in Denmark than in France.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on December 05, 2011, 06:45:07 AM
That appears to be an INDOT request, with the motivation most likely that Sagamore Parkway would no longer have to be maintained by INDOT.

Why? It's not like they actually do any maintenence on that crappy road anyway. Maybe they just don't want the embarrassment of having their name to it.

mukade

Well, ironically, they rebuilt the part from old SR 25 to around the Wabash this year - new PCCP.

tdindy88

Alright, another question for those who may be more familar with this project. I am currently complying a set of pictures for both SR 25 and US 24 for AARoads and was wondering about the northern termius of the project in Logansport. I understand the new highway is supposed to have an interchange with SR 29 and Burlington Road to the south of town and then it looks like it is going to flow into the existing highway. Will the remainder of the four-lane highway from that point west to the current intersection of US 24/US 35 and SR 29 exist? The website doesn't seem to specify whether that part will be eliminated or not, I would think that it would, but I'm not sure.

NE2

I can't tell. The maps they have on the site don't show any sort of connection, but the EIS does. It may have been changed, or the maps may be wrong.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mukade

The map is on the INDOT web site:
INDOT SR 25 Segment 4 map. Look at page 6 for best detail, but what happens to existing US 24, I have no idea. It does not show it as being abandoned - it is a modern, wide divided highway after all. Perhaps RoadWarrior56 know as he was on the design team.

Here is some local news coverage about the Logansport portion on it:
New SR 25 will make some residents move

RoadWarrior56

I was the one who reloacated SR 25 to connect to US 24 where it shows on the map.  However, we had existing US 24 teeing into the relocated facility.  It may still be that way, I am not sure the detail shown in the map you referred to would include that.  The reason that the new roadway was relocated was that there is a major facility opposite the current terminus of the US 24 segment.

mukade

The INDOT PDF just shows the new route breaking off the existing one to the southwest, and the existing roadway staying where it is. That map has issues, however: SR 25 is marked as US 25 for one, but more importantly, it is shown as US 25 east of the new interchange. I assume SR 25 will be re-routed on to either the Logansport Bypass or Burlington Ave.

tdindy88

It was that PDF map I was looking at when I wondered about that interchange. It just seemed weird, besides the other inaccuracies, that the new highway would break off of the present alignment toward the southwest without there being an intersection or interchange present.

PurdueBill

Drove on a recently-opened section of the new SB lanes near Clymers on Saturday; they were running two-way traffic on them.  Not having driven through there between Nov. 13 and Saturday, I don't know exactly when they opened them but it appears to be quite recent.  Traffic is now using a couple of the new overpasses.

mukade

Church sues state over Hoosier Heartland project

"An Indiana church is taking the state to court in hopes of surviving the aftermath of a massive highway project..."

I guess this could also be in the eminent domain thread as well.

mukade

I took a drive down SR 25 last week and noticed these things going from west to east:
- There is still no evidence of the tie-in to existing SR 25 just east of I-65. This is where the roundabout is proposed
- It looks like about a mile and a half of the new terrain mainline is yet to be paved. Pavement goes up to about 500E.
- The gap between the proposed roundabout and what is under construction is just a few hundred feet
- A connector from new SR 25 to old SR 25 west of Delphi is mostly complete, but apparently will not be completed until the new road opens
- Beams for the new overpass at US 421/SR 18 were being delivered the day I drove down
- Road construction signs are posted on current SR 25 in and east of Delphi, but I saw no evidence of actual construction yet
- Large sections of the new highway were being built parallel and adjacent to the existing road east of SR 218
- Around Clymers, the westbound lanes of new SR 25 are carrying two-way traffic, and the old SR 25 is in the process of being removed
- At least two more new overpasses are under construction in this section between SR 218 and Clymers
- A new overpass is also under costruction in Logansport taking new SR 25 over Kokomo Pike. This is not too far from where the new route will tie into existing US 24/US 35

Beam being delivered for new overpass in Delphi  (and causing a big traffic jam)

New contracts are to be let in April and July.

hbelkins

Are those cutout US 421 markers?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mukade

realjd

Quote from: hbelkins on March 25, 2012, 10:40:57 PM
Are those cutout US 421 markers?

Yep. There are a handful of those in Delphi. They're not true cutout shields though; they have no black border. I suspect that someone mounted shields that were supposed to go on BGS's.

hbelkins

I've seen the same thing at the intersection of US 6 and US 35.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mukade

They are like that on US 421 south to Rossville.  So if it was a mistake, it was a big mistake.

agentsteel53

Quote from: mukade on March 26, 2012, 07:24:01 PM
They are like that on US 421 south to Rossville.  So if it was a mistake, it was a big mistake.

there are a lot of 421s.  I've seen some in Monticello.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mukade

Google Maps now shows some pretty good satellite images of the new SR 25. Also, these projects still under construction are now shown:

• US 31  Kokomo
  • US 31 South Bend
  • US 24 Fort Wayne
  • SR 331 new route in South Bend (just north of US 20)

Despite being under construction, these projects are still not shown:

• I-69 between SR 68 and US 231
  • new US 231 bypass in Lafayette
  • new US 31/SR 38 interchange in Noblesville

Next contract awarded on SR 25 will be from SR 29 to existing US 24/US 35 - looks like Primco submitted lowest bid.

tdindy88

Bing maps does a good job at showing the I-69 corridor from SR 68 up to US 231, and in an additional note it shows the I-465 Westside construction with the new interchange at I-74 as it was last fall along with the new interchnages along that stretch. Haven't seen any aerials for Lafayette or US 31/SR 38, but I have seen new BGSs on northbound 31 at SR 38 recently.

mukade

Bing Maps does show I-69 well, but only a couple of the zoom levels. And it doesn't label the two mile stretch north of I-64 as being I-69.

The I-465 interchanges seem to be old images with new labels - like at the Sam Jones Expy. interchange.

mukade

As for SR 25, these are the signage plans for the Logansport interchange:

This confirms that US 24 and US 35 will share the same road as SR 25. SR 29 would therefore be shortened by a few blocks. The online plans also confirm part of the existing US 24/US 35 will be removed. You gotta love the "No Name" sign. I hope that is just a placeholder.

As for the old SR 25 route east of I-65, it apparently will be turned back to the county and will be called "Old SR 25" (strangely enough). One diagram I saw showed it as SR 225, but that apparently was not right.

State Road 25's new name will be "Old"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.