News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Exit Gore Signage

Started by myosh_tino, July 04, 2011, 02:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

Quote from: deanej on July 10, 2011, 01:14:09 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on July 09, 2011, 08:39:10 PM
How about a blast from the past? Does anyone remember the original gore signs on New Jersey's Garden State Parkway back in the 1960's? They used a short arrow in a circle that extended out at the top right corner of the rectangular sign. I don't think there are any of those left, regrettably.

Or how about New York Thruway's original blue gore signs from the 1950's? They used a long arrow positioned horizontally under the legend.  Deanej? 
I'm afraid the 50s is well before my time.  By about 40 years.

The last of the old style Thruway exit gore signs that I remember lasted until 1987 or so for Exits 47 and 48.  Exit 48 had a complete set of the older layout (but they were dark green, not blue) up until 1987. 

ROUTE 98
      Batavia
EXIT 48  1 MILE

NYSDOT exit gore signs up until 1983 actually had the word "EXIT" in the upper left hand corner with the arrow taking up the whole right side.  I suggested they switch back to those, as it doesn't crowd the arrow as much with the word EXIT off center and drew one here:
http://www.upstatenyroads.com/signshop3.shtml

myosh_tino

Sorry about dredging up a 5+ year old topic but there's been some interesting movement in California with regards to gore signage.

In a memo dated August 12th, 2015, Caltrans basically gave it's blessing for the local districts to use the FHWA-standard exit gore sign (E5-1a) in lieu of their own G84 series sign.  The justification for the switch was, as JN Winkler speculated, to improve the safety of the maintenance crews.  The Caltrans study also found that by moving the gore sign back the 250 or so feet, it also reduced the chances of the sign being knocked down by drivers cutting through the gore point.

Like I originally said, a number of exits on CA-99 through District 6 use the E5-1a exit gore sign but they began popping up on US 101 in the Prunedale area too a few years ago.  Today, Caltrans is advertising a ramp gore paving project at various points on CA-37 and I-80 in Solano county (04-4G9604) and these plans call for the removal of the G84 series gore signs and the installation of E5-1a signs instead.  This is, AFAIK, the first installation of the E5-1a signs on a S.F. Bay Area freeway (Caltrans District 4).

Note: Mods, I just noticed this topic was still in General Highway Talk (probably because it was so old it pre-dated the split).  Can you please move this to the Traffic Control sub-board?  Thanks!
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Pink Jazz

ADOT has the stacked type (in Clearview) on a portion of I-17 between I-10 and Loop 101 in Phoenix, as well on the Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway between Loop 101 and Gilbert Road.  I wonder if the South Mountain Freeway will use the stacked type in FHWA.  For some reason the newly widened Loop 101 Pima Freeway uses the standard type, however.

MarkF

Quote from: myosh_tino on September 19, 2016, 02:10:51 PM
Sorry about dredging up a 5+ year old topic but there's been some interesting movement in California with regards to gore signage.

In a memo dated August 12th, 2015, Caltrans basically gave it's blessing for the local districts to use the FHWA-standard exit gore sign (E5-1a) in lieu of their own G84 series sign.  The justification for the switch was, as JN Winkler speculated, to improve the safety of the maintenance crews.  The Caltrans study also found that by moving the gore sign back the 250 or so feet, it also reduced the chances of the sign being knocked down by drivers cutting through the gore point.

Like I originally said, a number of exits on CA-99 through District 6 use the E5-1a exit gore sign but they began popping up on US 101 in the Prunedale area too a few years ago.  Today, Caltrans is advertising a ramp gore paving project at various points on CA-37 and I-80 in Solano county (04-4G9604) and these plans call for the removal of the G84 series gore signs and the installation of E5-1a signs instead.  This is, AFAIK, the first installation of the E5-1a signs on a S.F. Bay Area freeway (Caltrans District 4).

I see they used an E5-1a exit gore when the I-5/CA74 Ortega Hwy interchange was rebuilt last year:

myosh_tino

Quote from: MarkF on September 26, 2016, 01:51:13 AM
I see they used an E5-1a exit gore when the I-5/CA74 Ortega Hwy interchange was rebuilt last year:

I seem to recall someone in another thread saying that E5-1a exit gore signs were starting to pop up in Orange County (Caltrans District 12).  FWIW, the northbound I-5 exit features what I call a hybrid exit gore sign (https://goo.gl/maps/fp5SJRtpXs32).  It's sized like the E5-1a but is laid out like a G84 series gore sign with the shorter shafted arrow and Series D numerals.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.