News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

City rivalries

Started by golden eagle, July 26, 2011, 12:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

I've always been curious about rivalries between cities. In Mississippi, Biloxi and Gulfport supposedly don't like each other. A lady I used to work with years ago that grew up in Biloxi told me that for years, the high school football teams didn't play each other for many years and the one year they finally did, all hell broke loose.

Other rivalries you hear about are usually between large cities, like New York/Boston, Washington/Baltimore, Philadelphia/Pittsburgh, Los Angeles/Bay Area (Dodgers beating up on Giants fan ring a bell?), etc. Heck, the East Coast/West Coast fued. When I lived in San Diego, there was lots of anti-Los Angeles sentiment there. Why, I don't know.

Out of curiosity, is there hate between Dallas and Fort Worth, Raleigh and Durham, Denver and Colorado Springs, Kansas City and St. Louis, etc.?

huskeroadgeek

I know about rivalries in other states, but I'll speak about my own state since it is the one I am most familiar with. In Nebraska, Lincoln and Omaha have had a long rivalry with each other that goes back to the state's early days when the capital was moved from Omaha to Lincoln. The two cities, despite their relative closeness in geography are different in character. Lincoln has always been dominated by state government and the university while Omaha has always been the business center of the state. While the rivalry still continues today in some form, it has diminished in recent years as outward development brings the two cities ever closer together. The two cities on an official level have begun working together more often for regional planning.

Alps

NJ has a rivalry with NY and Philly. People in the metro area for one city look down on those in the other metro area.

Brian556

Dallas and Ft Worth have always had a rivalry. This is one of the reasons that the I-35E/ I-35W setup still exits. Ft worth is a far less important city than Dallas, but they just can't accept it. This has resulted in alot of issues involving airports that were finally resolved with the construction of DFW Airport. Read about the situation here: http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/TX/Airfields_TX_FtWorth_NE.htm#greaterSW

corco

Tucson and Phoenix hate each other. Tucsonans by and large think Phoenix is a godawful hellhole and Phoenicians think Tucson is just a crime-infested extension of Mexico.

I take both sides in that rivalry.

J N Winkler

In Kansas it is Sedgwick County versus Johnson County.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheStranger

Quote from: Brian556 on July 26, 2011, 06:58:32 PM
Dallas and Ft Worth have always had a rivalry. This is one of the reasons that the I-35E/ I-35W setup still exits. Ft worth is a far less important city than Dallas, but they just can't accept it. This has resulted in alot of issues involving airports that were finally resolved with the construction of DFW Airport. Read about the situation here: http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/TX/Airfields_TX_FtWorth_NE.htm#greaterSW

Considering how long it took for Southwest Airlines to get the Wright Amendment repealed (and how aggressively Braniff and American originally fought to stop the airline from existing), I wouldn't say "resolved" is the correct word...more like long-term detente.

---

Despite their proximity, I do know Orange County and LA try to consider themselves as entirely separate, incompatible regions (in comparison to how the Bay Area, while a host of distinct areas, tends to be less discrete).
Chris Sampang

wriddle082

I think most of Tennessee's major cities don't care for Nashville, since it is the high-and-mighty state capital that's experiencing most of the state's growth. 

As for Nashville, it has never cared much for Memphis except for the BBQ, respects Knoxville for having the University of Tennessee, likes Chattanooga for its beauty and riverfront, thinks Jackson is a good place to fill up when driving to Tunica, ditto for Cookeville when driving to UT sporting events, thinks Clarksville will be assimilated in the next few years just like Murfreesboro was, and doesn't really know where the Tri-Cities are.

Not really sure about South Carolina city rivalries, but I would imagine that Greenville and Spartanburg don't get along with one another, and that Columbia, despite being the state capital, is probably jealous of Greenville/Spartanburg, Charleston, and Myrtle Beach for generally having more to offer.

agentsteel53

Quote from: corco on July 26, 2011, 07:28:50 PM
Tucson and Phoenix hate each other. Tucsonans by and large think Phoenix is a godawful hellhole and Phoenicians think Tucson is just a crime-infested extension of Mexico.

I take both sides in that rivalry.

Tucson is a shitstain in the desert.  Phoenix is a somewhat larger shitstain in the desert.

now Scottsdale, on the other hand, is a shitstain smeared on the side of a shitstain. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

yanksfan6129

Meh, New Yorkers hate everybody. OK, well, maybe not hate...but we definitely believe that our city is supreme to all.

golden eagle

What about Minneapolis and St. Paul? Do they like/hate each other?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Cleveland and Columbus (which is funny because plenty of Clevelanders move to Columbus)
Where it used to be New Orleans vs the rest of Louisiana, there seems a more pronounced rivalry between New Orleans and Baton Rouge since the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

golden eagle

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 26, 2011, 11:07:05 PM
Cleveland and Columbus (which is funny because plenty of Clevelanders move to Columbus)

For some reason, I'd thought there would be a bigger rivalry between Cleveland and Cincinnati, due to sports.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 26, 2011, 07:41:59 PM
In Kansas it is Sedgwick County versus Johnson County.

Don't forget about the Wyandotte County vs Johnson County rivalry either. Johnson County folk are apt to generalize Kansas City, KS as a crime ridden ghetto while Wyandotte County residents consider Johnson County a bunch of Stepford-esque keep up with the Joneses rich snob types that care about nothing more than their pedicured lawns and SUVs and pay boatloads in property tax just for the privilege of having a Shawnee Mission address.

There's a fair bit of Kansas Side vs Missouri Side in the greater Kansas City metro as well.

In Oklahoma, Oklahoma City and Tulsa. It's usually not outright stated but the two often do not really acknowledge the other exists; major goings-on in Tulsa are generally ignored by the OKC media, etc. Jeremy Lance has said that a lot of Tulsans refuse to support the Thunder because they are the Oklahoma City Thunder and not just the Oklahoma Thunder.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

triplemultiplex

Well in the world of sports, Milwaukee vs. Chicago is always heated.  (Cubs are in town this week.)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Chicagosuburban

Also in sports, Chicago vs. St. Louis
Bob Brenly for Cubs manager!

Coelacanth

Quote from: golden eagle on July 26, 2011, 10:54:17 PM
More like than hate. There's such a strong regional identity; people think of themselves as being from the Twin Cities.

There was definitely more animosity in the pre-major-league-sports era. Minneapolis and St Paul had separate minor-league baseball and hockey teams, and those rivalries were quite intense at times.

6a

Quote from: golden eagle on July 27, 2011, 12:16:24 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on July 26, 2011, 11:07:05 PM

For some reason, I'd thought there would be a bigger rivalry between Cleveland and Cincinnati, due to sports.
Columbus is the pretty younger sister that's getting all the attention.  Cleveland's just pissy because it was always the biggest and brawniest.  In baseball, Cincy and Cleveland are in different leagues and they both suck at football anyway.  I've always gotten a sense that Cincy is off doing its own thing, all flirting with Dayton and just being Cincy.  

Brandon

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 27, 2011, 02:04:02 PM
Well in the world of sports, Milwaukee vs. Chicago is always heated.  (Cubs are in town this week.)

Quote from: Chicagosuburban on July 27, 2011, 02:51:55 PM
Also in sports, Chicago vs. St. Louis

And, again in sports, Chicago vs. Detroit.

Notice a pattern here?
BTW, Go Tigers!  :clap: :cheers:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: golden eagle on July 27, 2011, 12:16:24 AM

"You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati!" -- former Bengals coach Sam Wyche, addressing a crowd at the old Riverfront Stadium and asking them to quit throwing snowballs onto the field.

In Kentucky, it's basically the rest of the state vs. Louisville. And that does not necessarily have to do with the UK-U of L sports rivalry.

A lot of the small-town rivalries (my home town, Beattyville, vs. Booneville, for example) are based on high school sports rivalries.

Surprised no one has mentioned Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on July 27, 2011, 10:17:02 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland.
You just did :P

What about Baltimore vs DC?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

PAHighways

Quote from: hbelkins on July 27, 2011, 10:17:02 PMSurprised no one has mentioned Pittsburgh vs. Cleveland.

I was getting around to it, and add:

Pittsburgh/Philadelphia
Pittsburgh/Baltimore

Both of those more so after the Penguins eliminating the Flyers and the Steelers eliminating the Ravens in the respective league playoffs multiple times in recent years.

texaskdog

Quote from: Brian556 on July 26, 2011, 06:58:32 PM

and Minneapolis/Saint Paul.  Saint Paul actually likes being more cultural and not so "big city" but Fort Worth & Saint Paul need to be comfortable with having I-135 and thus less traffic.

Post Merge: July 28, 2011, 02:22:49 PM

Quote from: Coelacanth on July 27, 2011, 04:44:41 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on July 26, 2011, 10:54:17 PM
More like than hate. There's such a strong regional identity; people think of themselves as being from the Twin Cities.

There was definitely more animosity in the pre-major-league-sports era. Minneapolis and St Paul had separate minor-league baseball and hockey teams, and those rivalries were quite intense at times.

No, I'm not from the Twin Cities, I'm from Saint Paul.  People who live close by call them "the Cities" but people who live there identify with one or the other.  I grew up in a suburb of Minneapolis and couldn't wait to move to the Saint Paul side, which I finally did at age 19. 

SSOWorld

Well your state does show "Twin Cities" on some BGSs If I recall.

Wisconsin - at least - shows respect for both cities, alternating between them on distance info signs.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

texaskdog

Quote from: Master son on July 28, 2011, 02:23:27 PM
Well your state does show "Twin Cities" on some BGSs If I recall.

Wisconsin - at least - shows respect for both cities, alternating between them on distance info signs.

Minneapolis & Saint Paul are alternately listed on I-35 signs.  When people ask me where I came from I say "Minnesnowta" and if they ask what city I say Saint Paul.  They are quite a bit different at least in the minds of people who live there.  At least with Minneapolis's grid you can figure out where youre going and Saint Paul's streets are generally a mess.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.