News:

Check out the AARoads Wiki!

Main Menu

Colorado

Started by mightyace, March 04, 2009, 01:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elm

A deal was made to pull the ballot measure that would've redirect funding to roads. (But it would've been nullified through 2030, anyway -- this post.)

Quote from: 9News, Marshall ZelingerIn exchange for the group withdrawing the measure, lawmakers agreed to two commitments: approximately $120 million in road funding through a legislative package next year, and a promise to refer a new ballot measure to voters in 2027 seeking additional funding.

9News: Democratic lawmakers strike deal to pull road funding measure off November ballot
Colorado Sun: Colorado road funding ballot measure will be pulled following deal reached with state lawmakers


Great Lakes Roads


All Roads Lead to Limon
-Jay Seaburg

Clinched States (Interstates): AL, AZ, DE, FL, HI, KS, MI, MN, NE, NH, RI, VT, WI

Plutonic Panda


The Ghostbuster

This isn't just true in Colorado. It's true all over the world. I wouldn't consider the story "breaking news" either.

kphoger

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 29, 2026, 04:47:14 PMI wouldn't consider the story "breaking news" either.

I assumed he was being sarcastic.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Plutonic Panda

Should've added /s

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 29, 2026, 05:03:03 AMBreaking news: https://www.codot.gov/news/2026/september-2026-news/most-coloradans-speed-on-highways
QuoteThe average driver saves just 26 seconds per day by speeding.

— Then they're not driving fast enough.

Also,  I found the study that's behind the claim.  GPS data on 106 drivers in Sydney (Australia) over a five-week period.  That's it.  That's the data pool.

I just did the math for my own commute.  Using only the 9.2 miles of freeway driving each way (which is most of my commute), I save 85 seconds per day just going to work and back at 5 mph over the speed limit.  If I go 10 over, then I save more than 2½ minutes per day.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thenetwork

West of Vail on I-70, I can set cruise at 77 in a 75 MPH zone and only a few people will whip by me at 80+.

Vail to C-470 can go either way.

But once you come off the hill into Denver Metro, it's NASCAR at it's finest.

What sucks is that I drive a company vehicle which dings me anytime I go 6 MPH over the speed limit.  So it's finding a happy medium  east of Vail to where I don't get run over nor dinged.  Not as easy as one may think. :-/

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thenetwork on September 30, 2026, 10:44:00 AMWest of Vail on I-70, I can set cruise at 77 in a 75 MPH zone and only a few people will whip by me at 80+.

Vail to C-470 can go either way.

But once you come off the hill into Denver Metro, it's NASCAR at it's finest.

What sucks is that I drive a company vehicle which dings me anytime I go 6 MPH over the speed limit.  So it's finding a happy medium  east of Vail to where I don't get run over nor dinged.  Not as easy as one may think. :-/

The only places I find myself speeding more than normal are coming down from the tunnel going westbound and then the little stretch from Genesee down to C-470/US6.

Plutonic Panda

I average 90-110 west of vail until utah i dial it down to 95-105

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 30, 2026, 02:33:39 PMI average 90-110 west of vail until utah i dial it down to 95-105

You average 90+ through Glenwood Canyon?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 01, 2026, 05:19:50 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 30, 2026, 02:33:39 PMI average 90-110 west of vail until utah i dial it down to 95-105

You average 90+ through Glenwood Canyon?
No. I slow down significantly through certain parts. in some places, 55 miles an hour is pushing it. And it all depends on traffic conditions, too. I'm not gonna be flying past people like I used to when I was younger. I largely stopped doing that. It's kind of a dick move.

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 30, 2026, 02:33:39 PMI average 90-110 west of vail until utah i dial it down to 95-105
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 01, 2026, 05:19:50 AMYou average 90+ through Glenwood Canyon?
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 01, 2026, 05:39:27 PMNo. I slow down significantly through certain parts. in some places, 55 miles an hour is pushing it. And it all depends on traffic conditions, too.

I guess that means you must go about 130 the rest of the time, then, in order to still maintain a 100mph average.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2026, 09:23:44 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 30, 2026, 02:33:39 PMI average 90-110 west of vail until utah i dial it down to 95-105
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 01, 2026, 05:19:50 AMYou average 90+ through Glenwood Canyon?
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 01, 2026, 05:39:27 PMNo. I slow down significantly through certain parts. in some places, 55 miles an hour is pushing it. And it all depends on traffic conditions, too.

I guess that means you must go about 130 the rest of the time, then, in order to still maintain a 100mph average.
Okay, you know what? I see people on this website love to be super fucking technical about shit. I'm not averaging 100 miles an hour. That's insane. I mean people that do the cannonball run have insanely high averages as fast as I tend to go. Honestly, I'd be surprised if my actual average was even over 85. Since we wanna get super technical, does that include every mile of the trip when I pull off the highway, stop to get gas, driving through the parking lot, accelerating, decelerating? Come on, man

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 30, 2026, 02:33:39 PMI average 90-110 west of vail until utah i dial it down to 95-105
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2026, 01:36:32 PMI'm not averaging 100 miles an hour.

Now, how on earth might we have gotten the idea that you do?

It you don't mean something, then don't say it.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2026, 02:07:16 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 30, 2026, 02:33:39 PMI average 90-110 west of vail until utah i dial it down to 95-105
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2026, 01:36:32 PMI'm not averaging 100 miles an hour.

Now, how on earth might we have gotten the idea that you do?

It you don't mean something, then don't say it.
Christ almighty, I didn't realize I was writing a thesis for my masters over here.

Scott5114

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2026, 01:36:32 PMI see people on this website love to be super fucking technical about shit.

The site where people get upset when highway numbers don't follow a national grid gets super fucking technical about shit? My word.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 02, 2026, 05:58:44 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2026, 01:36:32 PMI see people on this website love to be super fucking technical about shit.

The site where people get upset when highway numbers don't follow a national grid gets super fucking technical about shit? My word.
We have everyone from Fritzowl to NE2. This is between me and kphoger

kphoger

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2026, 06:26:49 PMWe have everyone from Fritzowl to NE2. This is between me and kphoger

FritzOwl and NE2 between you and me sounds like an uncomfortable sleepover.

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2026, 06:42:11 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2026, 06:26:49 PMWe have everyone from Fritzowl to NE2. This is between me and kphoger

FritzOwl and NE2 between you and me sounds like an uncomfortable sleepover.

NE2: "yawn"
FritzOwl: "I think this is needed"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 02, 2026, 06:53:26 PMNE2: "yawn"
FritzOwl: "I think this is needed"

kphoger:  sleeps in the nude
Plutonic Panda:  attempts to play beach volleyball with a boner

He Is Already Here! Let's Go, Flamingo!
Dost thou understand the graveness of the circumstances?
Deut 23:13
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: PKDIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

pderocco

Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2026, 07:26:40 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 02, 2026, 06:53:26 PMNE2: "yawn"
FritzOwl: "I think this is needed"

kphoger:  sleeps in the nude
Plutonic Panda:  attempts to play beach volleyball with a boner
TMI. TMI.

Plutonic Panda

I mean, it certainly would not be the weirdest thing that has ever happened on this planet.

thenetwork

Went west through Glenwood Canyon Friday afternoon on I-70.  They had the left lane closed at Hanging Lake Tunnel.  There was a 30-45 minute backup running up to the portal.  The reason for the lane closure is for construction vehicles to literally "park" next to a set of garage doors that leads to a CDOT Maintenance shop located between the tubes within the tunnel (there is a set of garage access doors from each direction of the tubes)  There was no hint of actual construction on nor affecting the closed lane.

From what I have seen when the doors are open, there is a decent amount of room for a good number of vehicles in the tunnel's garage.  So why the need to keep the lane closed on a weekend so a few extra vehicles can "street park" next to the garage entrance while the rest of us are stuck for 45 minutes with no alternative route?  Have they not heard of "car pooling" from a nearby off-highway parking area?

I had an easier time breezing through the Floyd Hill project and the first wave of Westbound Denver Traffic going into the mountains through the Eishenhower/Johnson Tunnels.

Quillz

Quote from: kphoger on October 02, 2026, 02:07:16 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 30, 2026, 02:33:39 PMI average 90-110 west of vail until utah i dial it down to 95-105
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 02, 2026, 01:36:32 PMI'm not averaging 100 miles an hour.

Now, how on earth might we have gotten the idea that you do?

It you don't mean something, then don't say it.
He also claimed he drives 100+ mph on SF Valley streets and got very upset when I pointed out how dangerous that was, and sooner or later he was going to get himself killed or someone else. But hey, he's trying hard not to be a dick.

Just last night, I was driving a canyon road up the Santa Monica Mountains and doing about 40 mph. The guy behind me had his brights on the entire time, wouldn't stop flashing me, and then illegally passed me while flying by me. But hey, he had a Porsche so I guess he's entitled to break traffic laws and everyone must pull over and defer to him. (This was a two-lane road, BTW, there was nowhere to pull over).