News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stillwater Bridge

Started by on_wisconsin, August 21, 2011, 11:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

How is eastbound 36 tying into 95?

Mdcastle

Some of my pictures I posted on 8/3 show it, but here's an updated one from ground level on southbound 95. (I didn't post it originally because it's crooked (I tried taking it out my sunroof) and the same view as before)

IMG_4060 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

Just before Osgood two way traffic in the former westbound lane starts and continues until where the westbound lanes split from southbound 95. A temporary signal has been built to control the conflict between the southbound 95 and eastbound 36. No right turn from 36 to 95 south is not allowed, nor is a left turn from 95 north to 36 west. Traffic doing these movements has to go north on 95 and make a U-turn someplace (the first median crossing is signed no-U-turns but I saw people doing it), or else use the new south frontage road which is now open.

NE2

Quote from: Mdcastle on October 05, 2013, 01:01:53 PM
No right turn from 36 to 95 south is not allowed, nor is a left turn from 95 north to 36 west.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7720
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Mdcastle

PDF diagramming what progress has been made with the foundations.
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/stcroixcrossing/pdf/caisson.pdf

Apparently how they're staging it is they're going to pave the new eastbound mainline and ramp and finish the new Beach Road bridge in the next month, then switch all traffic from the old westbound to the new eastbound alignment, then demolish the old Beach Road bridge and finish tying Beach Road into the bridge.

froggie

Hopefully they get that done before the snow starts flying.  Could also see them leaving just a base course for winter driving then repairing that base course and doing full paving when it warms back up in the spring.

on_wisconsin

The first bit of exposed concrete on the bridge itself has emerged above water:

:cool:
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Mdcastle

Went out there to take pictures with the big traffic switch present. Wound up making two trips because on my first my camera was set to VGA resolution.

IMG_4187 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_4260 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_4254 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_4261 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
The notch in the tree line in the distance is where it will hit the Wisconsin shore.

IMG_4263 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
[EDIT] Added this one into the set, here's a close-up view of the entire intersection.

IMG_4198 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
Below the future bridge ramp.

IMG_4248 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

IMG_4201 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
Wisconsin touchdown

IMG_4244 by 4North Star Highways, on Flickr
Wisconsin soils dump site

IMG_4274 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
The bridge rises.

froggie

Monte, I saw a photo on your Flickr feed yesterday (you didn't post it here) showing what looked to be two FYA overhead signals on an overhead mast in the vicinity.  Any further insight into that?

Mdcastle

Quote from: froggie on October 30, 2013, 08:26:49 AM
Monte, I saw a photo on your Flickr feed yesterday (you didn't post it here) showing what looked to be two FYA overhead signals on an overhead mast in the vicinity.  Any further insight into that?

I think you meant #4623, I added it into the post above, I didn't notice that #4261 didn't include the entire intersection. It's a zoomed in view of the new permanent intersection. Apparently there will be a double left turn lane from southbound MN 95 to eastbound MN 36, hence the double FYAs on the overhead mast (plus one on the far side for good measure). Also they apparently chose just to mount a temporary FYA for northbound MN 95 to temporary MN 36 westbound rather than string a temporary span wire. Presumably when the new permanent westbound ramp is done they'll just swap the head for one with three balls.

on_wisconsin

More pics:

all are courtesy of the  St. Croix Crossing Facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/saintcroixcrossingmndot
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

on_wisconsin

QuoteSt. Croix bridge: Ames/Lunda looks like job bid winner

By Andy Rathbun arathbun@pioneerpress.com TwinCities.com-Pioneer Press
Posted: TwinCities.com

With a bid of about $380 million, Ames/Lunda Joint Venture is the apparent low bidder for the construction
of the St. Croix River Crossing superstructure, the Minnesota and Wisconsin transportation departments
said Friday.

The actual cost of the contract -- if it is awarded to Ames/Lunda -- would be lower than $380 million,
however, because the bid amount includes the cost of the project and a dollar amount representing the
time frame in which the contractor says it will complete the work, said Jon Chiglo, MnDOT's project
director for the bridge.

Those two components of the bid will remain confidential until the contract is awarded, likely in about two
weeks, Chiglo said.
He said this part of the bridge project has been estimated to cost $285 million to $310 million, which
makes it the largest contract associated with the bridge and one of the largest MnDOT has ever let for
bids.

The cost of the project and time frame offered in the bid were "reasonably close" to MnDOT estimates,
Chiglo said. "We're very comfortable with where they're at when you compare those two elements (of the bid)," Chiglo
said.

The project includes the bridge's superstructure -- the deck and other elements that will rest on piers
already being built in the river -- along with ramp bridges connecting to Minnesota 36, the Minnesota 36
box-girder approach bridge and a structure connecting that bridge to the one crossing the river.
MnDOT has already procured steel piling, which should allow the contractor to quickly begin construction,
Chiglo said.

There also will be a $5 million incentive for the contractor to complete enough work by July 2, 2016, to
allow a single lane of traffic in each direction, said Chiglo, adding other requirements must also be met
before the incentive will be paid. Construction is expected to be completed in the fall of 2016.
Other bids for the project came from St. Croix Constructors Kraemer-Obayashi Joint Venture and PCL
Civil Constructors Inc., which bid about $393 million and about $461 million, respectively.

MnDOT said in a statement that it will "closely review the selected bid to ensure the contractor meets
specifications." Both states' transportation departments will evaluate the bids and work with the Federal
Highway Administration to certify them.
Ames/Lunda, which is the team of Burnsville-based Ames Construction and Black River Falls, Wis.-based
Lunda Construction, is also doing the approach work on the Minnesota side of the bridge.

"They're very good contractors," Chiglo said. "We've worked with them on many projects in the past and
we look forward to working with them on this project."

Ames/Lunda bid $58 million for the Minnesota approach work, which realigns Minnesota 36 and 95. The
new eastbound lanes of Minnesota 36 and the rebuilt Minnesota 95 are now open. The rest will be
finished next construction season.

Plain, Wis.-based Edward Kraemer & Sons is building the bridge's pier foundations. Its bid of $36.7 million
was accepted in March.
The total cost of the bridge project is expected to be $580 million to $676 million. It will connect Oak Park
Heights to the town of St. Joseph, Wis., and replace the aging Stillwater Lift Bridge.
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_24434250/st-croix-river-crossing-apparent-low-bidder-named#

on_wisconsin

The old Beach Rd overpass is no more:

courtesy of the St.Croix Crossing Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/saintcroixcrossingmndot

on_wisconsin

The new Beach Rd overpass is open, but closed to peds until spring 2014:

courtesy of the St.Croix Crossing Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/saintcroixcrossingmndot
Wisconsin touchdown area:

triplemultiplex

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 28, 2013, 01:21:00 AM
Wisconsin touchdown area:

Could've used a few more touchdowns in Wisconsin the last few days. :/
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Mdcastle

Mdcastle

IMG_5335 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_5342 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_5352 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_5359 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
These used to be at Oakgreen / Greeley and MN 36. I approached the contractor about buying the 3M light and a couple of the (rare) 12" ped signals. He asked how much I'd offer for everything... I'm keeping 5 lights for myself and will sell or scrap the rest. Sorted out the best stuff first- the stuff on the mast was in the best shape being far from exhaust and salt spray.

on_wisconsin

MnDOT/ St. Croix Crossing Facebook page

on_wisconsin

Future WIS 35 overpass:

on_wisconsin

Falsework going up:

Concrete form for the roadway structure:

MN 95 paving:

Osgood Ave:

merrycilantro

Does anybody know, now I have only seen a satellite image from Google Maps, and read a bit on here about a proposed link between Stillwater and St Paul (I believe, don't quote me)...do they plan on full freeway status from St Paul thru Stillwater and up to New Richmond, WI, since that is freeway (or at least expressway)?

froggie

It's a pipe dream, but MnDOT doesn't have the funding to fully upgrade MN 36 to a freeway.  Nevermind that Oak Park Heights objected at the time to interchanges along MN 36...not sure if they still do.

merrycilantro

Aw for a second there I got excited thinking that someday there'd all of a sudden be an I-994, or an I-735 popping into Wisconsin...

triplemultiplex

WisDOT is planning for future freeway conversion on WI 64 between Somerset and New Richmond.
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/projects/nwregion/wis64freeway/index.htm

They've been doing that along a lot of expressway corridors throughout the state.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

froggie

QuoteAw for a second there I got excited thinking that someday there'd all of a sudden be an I-994, or an I-735 popping into Wisconsin...

Nope.  MnDOT isn't keen on new Interstate corridors, even when potential opportunities present themselves.

on_wisconsin

The WIS 35 overpass over the future approach freeway in now OPEN:

(taken sometime last week) | MnDOT/ St. Croix Crossing Facebook page

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.