Traffic lights on an interstate

Started by ethanman62187, August 25, 2011, 10:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Anybody know why this traffic light is there?  I-295 NB just before the Throgs Neck.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

PHLBOS

Quote from: Ian on August 30, 2011, 06:05:06 PMIf we are counting interstates that end at signals
I'm surprised that nobody yet mentioned the eastern terminus of I-264 in Virginia Beach.  Granted this highway was originally VA 44 and the Virginia Beach-Norfolk Expressway (a toll road until 1995) but still.

http://goo.gl/maps/gHzJ9
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Big John

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 14, 2013, 03:26:36 PM
Quote from: Ian on August 30, 2011, 06:05:06 PMIf we are counting interstates that end at signals
I'm surprised that nobody yet mentioned the eastern terminus of I-264 in Virginia Beach.  Granted this highway was originally VA 44 and the Virginia Beach-Norfolk Expressway (a toll road until 1995) but still.

Bit off topic, but this is the first tine I have seen flashing red lights around Do Not Enter signs.

signalman

Quote from: Big John on November 14, 2013, 04:23:22 PM
Bit off topic, but this is the first tine I have seen flashing red lights around Do Not Enter signs.
Flashing lights on an oversized and ugly Do Not Enter sign. 

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 14, 2013, 03:26:36 PM

I-65 in Gary, Indiana used to have that light at the end at the I-90 toll road ramps.

PurdueBill

The 264 example reminds me of the inexplicable END I-469 assembly that was added a couple years ago on Lafayette Center Road at the light at the GM plant.  Mile 0.0 is where you cross the median of I-69; heading westbound, this END assembly is even after a RIRO driveway to the GM plant.  No idea why they went to the trouble of that sign, unless it somehow means that INDOT maintenance ends there or something. 

For years I lived in Peabody Mass near the famous jughandle light which people would consider a traffic light on I-95, but even back then, the right lane southbound always had a green arrow through.  (Northbound I-95 traffic from 128 to US 1 missed the jughandle light entirely, merging onto US 1 just north of there.)

PHLBOS

Quote from: PurdueBill on November 14, 2013, 11:20:57 PMFor years I lived in Peabody Mass near the famous jughandle light which people would consider a traffic light on I-95, but even back then, the right lane southbound always had a green arrow through.  (Northbound I-95 traffic from 128 to US 1 missed the jughandle light entirely, merging onto US 1 just north of there.)
Growing up in Marblehead at that time, I know that area very well. 

While it could be argued that that particular stretch of US 1 served as a segment of I-95 from 1974-1989; most people knew even back then that it was only a temporary/interim condition.  IMHO, not only does it no longer count for the purposes of this thread; it technically wouldn't have counted to begin with because of it being only a temporary condition, though a long-one (15 years). 

Proof of such being temporary were obvious.  Many of the right-of-way land takings for the I-95/MA 128 interchange were actually done prior to the decision to not build I-95 inside of 128 in this area.  The Forest St. overpass along I-95 just north of Exit 45 (the MA 128 interchange) has a 1972 casting date. 

The main reason why it took so long for the interchange to be ultimately built was due to the work/design issues on the MA 128 end east of the I-95 connection; particularly the Forest St. interchange (that could have been the first leg of the Salem Connector) and the reconfiguration of the Lowell St. interchange (original plans called for a more elaborate cloverleaf interchange). 

It was always the DPW's intention to realign that segment of 128 along with the I-95 connection regardless of what the I-95 interchange looked like.  The originally-planned interchange resembled what was first built in Canton in the mid-60s except that the fly-over ramp movements were for traffic exiting 128 southbound heading to either I-95 North or South.  Canton's fly-over ramp would've carried traffic from I-95 southbound to either 128 North or South.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 15, 2013, 09:10:39 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on November 14, 2013, 11:20:57 PMFor years I lived in Peabody Mass near the famous jughandle light which people would consider a traffic light on I-95, but even back then, the right lane southbound always had a green arrow through.  (Northbound I-95 traffic from 128 to US 1 missed the jughandle light entirely, merging onto US 1 just north of there.)
Growing up in Marblehead at that time, I know that area very well. 

While it could be argued that that particular stretch of US 1 served as a segment of I-95 from 1974-1989; most people knew even back then that it was only a temporary/interim condition.  IMHO, not only does it no longer count for the purposes of this thread; it technically wouldn't have counted to begin with because of it being only a temporary condition, though a long-one (15 years). 

Proof of such being temporary were obvious.  Many of the right-of-way land takings for the I-95/MA 128 interchange were actually done prior to the decision to not build I-95 inside of 128 in this area.  The Forest St. overpass along I-95 just north of Exit 45 (the MA 128 interchange) has a 1972 casting date. 

The main reason why it took so long for the interchange to be ultimately built was due to the work/design issues on the MA 128 end east of the I-95 connection; particularly the Forest St. interchange (that could have been the first leg of the Salem Connector) and the reconfiguration of the Lowell St. interchange (original plans called for a more elaborate cloverleaf interchange). 

It was always the DPW's intention to realign that segment of 128 along with the I-95 connection regardless of what the I-95 interchange looked like.  The originally-planned interchange resembled what was first built in Canton in the mid-60s except that the fly-over ramp movements were for traffic exiting 128 southbound heading to either I-95 North or South.  Canton's fly-over ramp would've carried traffic from I-95 southbound to either 128 North or South.

Indeed it doesn't meet the spirit of the idea "traffic light on an Interstate" but people would often cite it as such back then, it seemed.  Everyone knew it was temporary, but no one expected it to last that long!  :P
I remember many times going over the Forest St. overpass when it crossed two dirt paths--it seemed weird to eventually cross 6 lanes of I-95 on it, because it seemed like it would never happen. 

Ian

Quote from: doofy103 on November 14, 2013, 01:55:37 PM
Anybody know why this traffic light is there?  I-295 NB just before the Throgs Neck.

Looks like it's there to warn you of the gore point. Doesn't seem like it's flashed for quite a while though.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

I94RoadRunner

I-690/NY 690 at the NYS Thruway I-90 had a traffic light originally. The interchange between the two freeways was moved in order to remove the traffic light on I-690. If you look on the map, the outline of the old ramps are visible where the old trumpet interchange was in between the I-690/John Glenn Blvd interchange and the Thruway itself. There is also a traffic light on I-690 during the NY State Fair.
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

PHLBOS

Quote from: PurdueBill on November 15, 2013, 05:16:47 PMI remember many times going over the Forest St. overpass when it crossed two dirt paths--it seemed weird to eventually cross 6 lanes of I-95 on it, because it seemed like it would never happen. 
Directly underneath the overpass, prior to the final construction of the I-95/MA 128 interchange, became a habitual dumping ground of sorts.  There were even a few matresses that were likely thrown from the overpass.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.