News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Route Shields on Street Placards

Started by Rover_0, October 13, 2011, 04:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

In Utah, there are about 3 or so places where the street placard (the small green signs on stoplights showing what street you're on) not only includes the street name, but a small shield (SR Beehives in all cases) showing what state (or above) route you're on:

• I-15/St. George Blvd (UT-34) Exit 8, on UT-34 Overpass
  • I-15/Bluff Street (UT-18), on UT-18 Overpass
, and
  • UT-30/600 W. Intersection in Logan

I have pictures of the UT-30 one (apologies for the darkness, hope you see them):
On the north side of UT-30:

And from the south side:

Are there any other signs of this type around the state, country, or world, and does anybody have pictures?
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

MDOTFanFB

Here's one in Taylor, MI at U.S. 24/Telegraph Road at Northline Road:

pianocello

Here's an example on CR-676 in Edison, NJ. Not quite sure why wikipedia would have a page on the route, though.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

hbelkins

Lots of these in Lexington and Winchester, Ky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Michael in Philly

Philadelphia does that.  On Broad Street (Pa. 611) and City Avenue (US 1), for example.  They've also started identifying main streets as "east-west [or north-south] arterials." 

Can't find a good example on line and have no more time to look now....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Ian

Quote from: pianocello on October 13, 2011, 06:49:02 PM
Here's an example on CR-676 in Edison, NJ.

NJDOT as well as many counties love to use route shields on their street placards at traffic signal intersections.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

corco

There are to my knowledge exactly two of these in Wyoming- on highway 220. And they're erroneous!

One in Idaho- most likely the result of a Washington contractor, since it's on the state line

Washington does it all the time.

bigboi00069

Michael in Philly

Quote from: corco on October 13, 2011, 08:53:55 PM
There are to my knowledge exactly two of these in Wyoming- on highway 220. And they're erroneous!

One in Idaho- most likely the result of a Washington contractor, since it's on the state line

Washington does it all the time.

1.)  Is that "220" a state marker?

2.)  What's with the brown US 2 marker in the background of your Idaho example?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 13, 2011, 08:47:04 PM
Quote from: pianocello on October 13, 2011, 06:49:02 PM
Here's an example on CR-676 in Edison, NJ.

NJDOT as well as many counties love to use route shields on their street placards at traffic signal intersections.

It's become common within the last decade or so.  Good thing, too, since in parts of northeastern New Jersey the 600 series weren't posted at all consistently before that.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

NE2

Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 13, 2011, 08:46:36 PM
Philadelphia does that.  On Broad Street (Pa. 611) and City Avenue (US 1), for example.  They've also started identifying main streets as "east-west [or north-south] arterials." 

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/pa/pa_611/1.html has a few error US 611s.

Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 13, 2011, 09:06:59 PM
Scenic route. I think they stopped this recently.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

corco

Quote1.)  Is that "220" a state marker?

I suspect it was erected by Natrona County, but it's for State Highway 220

QuoteScenic route. I think they stopped this recently.

Yep

agentsteel53

as far as I know, that is the only green-background outline shield in the state of Idaho.  (if it's in the state of Idaho at all...)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Quoteas far as I know, that is the only green-background outline shield in the state of Idaho.  (if it's in the state of Idaho at all...)

The centerline of State is the state line, so it's in Idaho. But yeah, I know of no other outline shields or shields on street sign placards, so it's a unique duck.

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

Michael in Philly

Quote from: NE2 on October 13, 2011, 09:17:31 PM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 13, 2011, 08:46:36 PM

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/pa/pa_611/1.html has a few error US 611s.

Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 13, 2011, 09:06:59 PM
Scenic route. I think they stopped this recently.

[Gasp!]  Alps is wrong.  South Broad Street was never US 611.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

US71

Near Memphis

Rogers, AR

Conway, MO
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

That one from Rogers looks like it took a wrong turn on the way to the "Worst of Road Signs" thread...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Quillz

Bonus points for it being an erroneous shield, too.

corco

Can't forget Custer County, South Dakota

Central Avenue

Quote from: US71 on October 13, 2011, 10:53:14 PM

Near Memphis

I find it interesting that Old US 78 gets a shield while current US 78 just gets "HWY 78"
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

1995hoo

I can think of a few overhead lighted signs in the City of Alexandria that have a five-star logo on a red background next to the name "Eisenhower Avenue." The logo is similar to the Eisenhower Interstate System logo except it's red instead of blue. Not quite the same thing as a route number, but similar in principle. I don't have a picture I can post, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Quote from: US71 on October 13, 2011, 10:53:14 PM

Rogers, AR

It's as if the creator tried to spell out "INTERSTATE" but then realized it wouldn't fit, but wouldn't completely compromise.

There's a few that still use the red US 1 on them, but usually the street placards avoid state/county route shields, and just use the US Route shields. In a few places, you can still find things like "S-80" or other secondary (re-)assignments.

agentsteel53

I was just in Custer County, SD, and got plenty of photos of the sign style corco mentioned.  It is one of the only places you can, coincidentally, find a US-16A in the 1950s color scheme (green with white legend).

in Los Angeles, one can find many variants of HISTORIC/US/66, CALIFORNIA/US/66, etc as the old 66 winds its way through towns along the 210 corridor.

one can also, if they know where to look, find a pair of CA-7s on street blades leading to I-710.

jake@aaroads.com

jwolfer

Quote from: bigboi00069 on October 13, 2011, 08:59:47 PM
Loads of them in Broward County, FL. Havent really seen as many in Miami- Dade county.

And here is an intersection with the shield on one side and "US 1" on the other side.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33009&hl=en&ll=25.996778,-80.142767&spn=0.001215,0.002411&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.808514,79.013672&vpsrc=6&hnear=Hallandale,+Florida+33009&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=25.996872,-80.142765&panoid=fZsE-CGjrwtSADPHsV0NYw&cbp=12,248.22,,0,-10.06

I like this better than the SR xx or CR xx.  I havent seen any route shields around Jax

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.