News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Lettered Streets

Started by Roadman66, October 21, 2011, 05:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp_redelectric

Vancouver, Washington has lettered streets to the east of downtown.  However there is no "A Street" (where Main Street is) nor is there a "B Street (where Broadway is) but every other letter exists, including J Street which appears to have been moved slightly to the west to accommodate I-5.  "I", "O", "Q" and "Z" all exist.

DeaconG

Philadelphia has lettered streets in the Juniata Park/Feltonville neighborhood...and yes, there's a O street!

I remember driving through that neighborhood two years ago and being absolutely amazed...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

empirestate

Quote from: akotchi on October 24, 2011, 12:47:58 PM
Boston has an alphabetized grid starting at the west edge of Boston Common

Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth, Exeter, Fairfield, Gloucester and Hereford, east to west.

Followed by Ipswich, though the sequence is interrupted by Mass. Ave.

1995hoo

Quote from: DeaconG on October 24, 2011, 11:55:02 PM
Philadelphia has lettered streets in the Juniata Park/Feltonville neighborhood...and yes, there's a O street!

I remember driving through that neighborhood two years ago and being absolutely amazed...

I thought in Philadelphia the "alphabet" would consist solely of "F" followed by "U," repeating to infinity.  :biggrin:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ftballfan

Grand Rapids, MI, west of US-131 and north of Hall St, has three lettered streets (A St and B St, which run parallel from Grandville Ave to Oakland Ave and E Ave, which is basically a glorified alleyway [yes, I drove it] between Hall St and Curve St).

Michael in Philly

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 25, 2011, 07:47:21 AM

I thought in Philadelphia the "alphabet" would consist solely of "F" followed by "U," repeating to infinity.  :biggrin:

[snarl]
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

DeaconG

Quote from: Michael in Philly on October 25, 2011, 01:32:37 PM

[snarl]

"But officer, all I saw was some guy in a Flyers jersey beat this guy with a hockey stick 'til it broke and drove away!" :-D :)
Disclaimer: I was born and raised in West Philly...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

1995hoo

[snarl]

I thought most Philly-area folks took some level of pride in that sort of reputation, or at least most Philly sports fans do. (I say that seriously. My prior comment was meant as a good-natured joke.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 25, 2011, 02:17:17 PM

[snarl]

I thought most Philly-area folks took some level of pride in that sort of reputation, or at least most Philly sports fans do. (I say that seriously. My prior comment was meant as a good-natured joke.)

Philly residents show affection by snarling.  if they don't like you, they throw Santa Claus's batteries at you.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Michael in Philly

^^Wait, Santa Claus is battery-operated?  :-O
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Bickendan

ClarkE

Louisville, KY once had lettered streets, but all but one have been renamed. There is a lonely "M" Street just north of Churchill Downs. A large church that has since moved out of the neighborhood still has the name "Ninth and O Baptist Church" as it was once located at the corner of 9th Street and O Street (now Heywood Ave.). According to the church website, O Street was changed back in 1926.

Kacie Jane

Bellingham, WA has four alphabets (although none are complete), which seems like a lot for a city of its size.

• A-J Streets
  • Astor, Bancroft, Clinton, Dupont, Ellsworth, Farragut, Girard, Halleck, Irving, Jenkins, Kearney, Logan, Morris, Nicklin Streets
  • Forest, Garden, High, Indian, Jersey, Key, Liberty, Mason, Newell, Otis, Pasco Streets
  • Cornwall Avenue, Dean Avenue, Ellis, Franklin, Grant, Humboldt, Iron, James, King, Lincoln, Moore, Nevada, Orleans, Pacific, Queen, Racine, St. Paul, Toledo, Undine, Verona, Valencia (no clue why V is repeated), Woburn, Xenia, and Yew Streets.

The first two are located just north of downtown and are perpendicular to each other.  Grid #3 is located south of downtown and is parallel to #1.  #4 is located east of downtown.

relaxok

Arlington, Berkeley, Clarendon, Dartmouth, Exeter, Fairfield, Gloucester and Hereford, east to west.

Ahhh memories!!  I lived on Newbury St between Fairfield and Gloucester :) and I always was upset Hereford went to... Mass Ave, afterwards.  

My current town of San Rafael, California has a set of lettered streets A St through K St, perpendicular to 1st St through 5th St... And on the map anyway, there is an 'Eye St' where I St would be.

Yep, just checked the street view of Eye St at 5th Ave (which 5th St turns into) and the sign does indeed say Eye St.

SidS1045

Quote from: empirestate on October 25, 2011, 12:29:57 AM

Followed by Ipswich, though the sequence is interrupted by Mass. Ave.

...followed by Jersey and Kilmarnock.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

SidS1045

Quote from: Duke87 on October 21, 2011, 07:49:45 PM
Several avenues in the sequence were given other names, usually beginning with the same letter.

A → Albermarle
B → Beverley (or "Beverly", according to the IRT)
C → Clarendon
E → Foster
G → Glenwood
Q → Quentin

Er, almost.  F is Foster Avenue, E is Newkirk Avenue.  Also, D is, for some of its route, Ditmas Avenue.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Duke87

Quote from: SidS1045 on November 08, 2011, 02:19:08 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on October 21, 2011, 07:49:45 PM
Several avenues in the sequence were given other names, usually beginning with the same letter.

A → Albermarle
B → Beverley (or "Beverly", according to the IRT)
C → Clarendon
E → Foster
G → Glenwood
Q → Quentin

Er, almost.  F is Foster Avenue, E is Newkirk Avenue.  Also, D is, for some of its route, Ditmas Avenue.

I don't think the diagonal band of avenues west of Flatbush Ave really factors into this, although it does somewhat depend on where you look. There is actually a section of Avenue F that exists between Dahill Rd and Ocean Pkwy. But if you look east of Flatbush Ave, the sequence is Beverley, Clarendon, D, Foster, Farragut, Glenwood, H, I, J, etc. Hence why E = Foster. F = Farragut here.

Incidentally, there is also a section of Avenue C not named Clarendon Rd between Dahill Rd and Coney Island Ave
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

apeman33

Dodge City has Avenues A through P. I'm pretty sure I is included but I don't know for certain if O is.

Garden City, Kan. only has A, B and C streets. They serve to fill in gaps between 8th and Main north of Kansas Avenue. 8th straightens out and becomes due north-south about three blocks north of downtown but Main continues along the slightly NE angle for another 1 1/2 miles. A and B start at the same street (Holmes). C doesn't begin for another four blocks (Edwards).

US71

Fort Smith, AR has North and South  A through Z (running East -West)

Then (south side only) cities Atlanta-Yuma and Zero St.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mapman1071

Manhattan Lower East Side/Alphabet City
Avenue A - D

sandwalk

My hometown of Sandusky, Ohio has no rhyme or reason to their lettered streets.

There is: 
A Street in the west-central part of town
C Street in the southeast part of town
E and F Streets in the northeast part of town

WTF were they thinking? LOL

For that matter, the numbered streets are even weirder (if that's a word):
1st through 8th Street (no 7th)
12th through 15th Street
42nd through 52nd Street (even numbers only)

Oh and FYI: 15th Street and 52nd Street are only separated by one city block.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.