News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Welcome to signs/displays

Started by OCGuy81, October 25, 2011, 10:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sp_redelectric

It looks like Oregon is taking the lead for having the most boring, unimaginative sign - at least on the northern border with Washington.  Just standard green signs that read "Entering Oregon".  No pretty pictures, no state outline, no state symbols...  (In fairness the signs are all mounted on a bridge, but a previous picture shows that Washington tries a bit harder even if it means putting the "welcome" a half mile to the north.)

It appears along the California border that Oregon has a larger sign that says "WELCOME TO OREGON" against an outline of the state, but why the capital letters in what appears to be a typeface more appropriate for a warning sign?

corco

What? Oregon welcomes you- and their signs are even inconsistent white on green/green on white!...

Here's several from WA border crossings
(US-101)
(I-205)
(US-197)
(US-730)
(SR 125/OR 11)
(SR 129/OR 3)

agentsteel53

Alberta/Northwest Territories border on the Mackenzie Highway.  apparently, this is a very new installation - Google Street View has something older.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: gonealookin on October 26, 2011, 09:02:36 PM
I think Nevada has probably removed most of these:

[classic sign with glass cateyes]

if there are any of those left in the wild, and I run across one, I will soil myself.

there is a cateyed Arizona in the maintenance yard in Douglas, but as far as I know, no cateyed state line signs remain in service.  The occasional white sign with black legend shows up here and there (can name an obscure OK/NM crossing, for example) and there is a long-nonworking neon sign for Virginia on old US-1 at the abandoned inspection station coming in from North Carolina.

there is a 1950s or 1960s Idaho (giant cutout of state shape in either wood or stone; cannot remember) on old US-30S coming in from Utah, and an early 1960s Utah (obelisk) coming from Colorado on old US-6.  

Alas, I do not have a photo of either online at this time.

jake@aaroads.com

huskeroadgeek

Regarding the "Leaving Wyoming" signs-Kansas has leaving signs on most highways(Leaving Kansas-Come Again). Do any other states have leaving signs? I don't remember seeing many.

corco

hbelkins

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 26, 2011, 10:08:34 PM
West Virginia's welcome sign has to be one of my favorites:

Where's that one? The gantry is the style that's found in Charleston.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on October 27, 2011, 01:22:23 AM
Regarding the "Leaving Wyoming" signs-Kansas has leaving signs on most highways(Leaving Kansas-Come Again). Do any other states have leaving signs? I don't remember seeing many.

Maryland, at least on I-83, says something like "we enjoyed your company - please come again."
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

agentsteel53

not a state, but Brooklyn signs say something to the effect of "leaving Brooklyn.  Fuhgeddaboudit!"

jake@aaroads.com

brownpelican

Quote from: SP Cook on October 25, 2011, 07:46:17 PM
Where is there a time zone line at the California state line?  Arizona?

Along the Colorado River.

Ian

Quote from: hbelkins on October 27, 2011, 12:10:07 PM
Where's that one? The gantry is the style that's found in Charleston.

That one's on I-70 westbound entering from Pennsylvania not far from Wheeling.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Jim

Want welcome signs?  I have those.  http://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/welcome-to.html

I'll try to post images of some of my favorites when I have a few more minutes to spare.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Brandon

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 26, 2011, 10:31:23 PM
I don't like the ones that have the governor's name on them but it makes it fun when the person changes and all the crews have to go around making all the changes to all the signs.

It's especially fun if you have to do it right away to save your state from corruption embarrassment:

There's a reason Illinois went away from having the governor's name on the signs...

2 out of the last 3 convicted.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

NYC welcome signs.

I don't have a very good shot of these (since getting out of or stopping the car would be lethal), but right under the HHP BGS is the sign for Welcome To Manhattan.  It has the mayor and Borough President's names on it.  I've seen the exact same for Staten Island and the Bronx, but missed any for Brooklyn and Queens - I'm sure they're the same (except the name of the borough president :P)  Since I've only entered NYC on Freeways - I don't know if any arterials that have them or similar.

The only Chicago welcome sign I could find... (course did Emanual put his name up there when he replace Daley? I don't know)

I know of no other route - surface or freeway - that has a welcome sign for Chicago - or at least a state sign mentioning the city limit.  The way I can tell I'm in Chicago is by looking at the street lights.

Ironically, for Los Angeles - I see the California standard sign (with elev and population)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

r-dub

Colorado has a couple variations of its welcome sign.

On the main roads:

This is I-25 just after the New Mexico border.

On the lesser-traveled roads:
On SH 125, entering Colorado from the north. Normally, the sign is hanging. At least it's propped up, tho.

All of Colorado's Welcome signs are documented here:
http://www.restlesswest.com/colorful-colorado
Ryan "r-dub"
Roadgeekin' Colorado Style

tdindy88

Quote from: Master son on October 29, 2011, 08:22:00 PM
The only Chicago welcome sign I could find... (course did Emanual put his name up there when he replace Daley? I don't know)

I know of no other route - surface or freeway - that has a welcome sign for Chicago - or at least a state sign mentioning the city limit.  The way I can tell I'm in Chicago is by looking at the street lights.

Here's your Welcome to Chicago sign, this is coming from O'Hare International Airport and is a lot more colorful sign, as well there is a similar one welcoming you to the airport coming in.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chicago,+IL&hl=en&ll=41.97698,-87.888528&spn=0.000008,0.007306&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.323858,86.220703&vpsrc=6&hnear=Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=41.977127,-87.887944&panoid=nL5yuzHeS93iyeqP4379GQ&cbp=12,72.7,,0,-30.73

As for New York. I was there last Spring and can tell you that the arterials do have signs for each borough, such as on the Brooklyn Bridge there is one for both Manhattan and Brooklyn on either side. I have pics of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens signs, and I'm almost certain there's one for Bronx and Staten Island as well.

SSOWorld

hmm - off the airport makes sense.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SP Cook

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on October 27, 2011, 01:22:23 AM
Do any other states have leaving signs? I don't remember seeing many.

West Virginia has one.  Its on the back side of the welcome sign (and thus over the wrong two lanes) heading east on I-64.  Its a curve and you cannot see the Virginia welcome sign until you round the curve.

Pennsylvania, weirdly, seems to sign "Last exit in Pennsylvania" on most all roads.  I have never really gotten that.  Unless one was wanted in the next state, why would you really care?

I have a vague memory from my childhood.  When one went into Alabama from the Florida panhandle, a big billboard read something like "Gov. George Wallace Welcomes you to Alabama" and had a big picture of him.  Going the other way it had the same picture read "You are leaving Alabama, but you are still in Wallace Country, watch your step".  I tend to believe that these were unofficial and related to the political issues of that era.

ctsignguy

A few i have snapped in recent years

US 460, and one i like.  Simple, but colorful

Old school US 202

Going the other way on 202

US 301

I-91

US 5...how sad....

US 6 east

US 6 west

I-78W

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

PurdueBill

Quote from: Master son on October 29, 2011, 08:22:00 PM

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.  Back in July (when I took this photo), the sign on the Skyway had been updated.

1995hoo

Quote from: SP Cook on October 30, 2011, 09:23:31 AM

Pennsylvania, weirdly, seems to sign "Last exit in Pennsylvania" on most all roads.  I have never really gotten that.  Unless one was wanted in the next state, why would you really care?

New York often does that too; New Jersey does on at least some roads. I certainly understand the "Last US Exit" signs New York posts heading north, but like you I've wondered why it matters otherwise.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ian

It could be because people with a Pennsylvania learners' permit can't drive out of state.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

mukade

Coming from Chicago on the Borman in October, 2010.

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: r-dub on October 29, 2011, 09:48:43 PM
Colorado has a couple variations of its welcome sign.

On the main roads:

This is I-25 just after the New Mexico border.

On the lesser-traveled roads:
On SH 125, entering Colorado from the north. Normally, the sign is hanging. At least it's propped up, tho.

All of Colorado's Welcome signs are documented here:
http://www.restlesswest.com/colorful-colorado
If I'm not mistaken, I believe this is an old style that was brought back after a period in which they had a more traditional sign that said "Colorado-Mountains and Much More". I like these much better.

pianocello

Last IA exit and Last ILL exit both appear on I-74. (and I-80, IIRC)

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 30, 2011, 05:29:33 PM
It could be because people with a Pennsylvania learners' permit can't drive out of state.

I'm definitely sure that's not why Iowa signs it, as the Iowa permit permits driving anywhere in the country.
Maybe it's because of the generally horrible bridge traffic :pan:
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.