News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 21, 2020, 01:29:10 PM
Well my town is finally installing its first FYA left turn signal. And they plan to use TOD phasing!!

iPhone
The 4 section signal with the red yellow yellow and green lens should be a give away

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

STLmapboy

Well my town is finally installing its first FYA left turn signal. And they plan to use TOD phasing!!
(images clipped)
What's the intersection? Also, is it standard MassDOT practice to not sign FYAs?
I wish more northeastern states would have street name signs on or hanging from the signal pole like so.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

STLmapboy

Poleline Avenue with a pole that is far too long.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Revive 755

Quote from: EpicRoadways on August 20, 2020, 11:22:04 PM
This might be a little bit of a newbie question, so my apologies in advance. I often drive through this intersection, but it seems odd to me that one of the left turn signals is protected-only (typical three-section arrow arrangement) while the signal controlling opposing traffic is permissive (four-section RYG ball+Y/G arrow). How common is an arrangement like this?

Depends on the jurisdiction.  Illinois almost always frowns on that setup (there are exceptions), however Missouri has no issues with it.

Quote from: jakeroot on August 21, 2020, 05:19:26 PM
Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Right outside Nakatomi Plaza in Century City, Los Angeles:

Right-facing green arrow in bottom left of doghouse

The bottom right lens is a green orb.

Are the two mixed up? Or is this correct?

I was going to say it's not MUTCD compliant, but I don't see the MUTCD specifically saying clusters have to follow the the section on placement of indications for horizontal heads (4D.10).  Another possible thing to fix in the next edition of the MUTCD?

SignBridge

I'm sure a mistake was made on that Los Angeles signal. And someone in the system should have caught it. I'm surprised to see this happen in California where the authorities are usually very conscientious about traffic lights. More of a New York State DOT kind of error.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 21, 2020, 07:12:09 PM
(images clipped)
What's the intersection? Also, is it standard MassDOT practice to not sign FYAs?
I wish more northeastern states would have street name signs on or hanging from the signal pole like so.
No MassDOT signs all FYAs, just signs haven't been installed here. Our signs look like this:

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

roadman65

This one assembly in Thomasville, GA proves interesting as it has one span wire strung between two other span wires.

https://flic.kr/p/2jrLBKz
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Amtrakprod

Quote from: roadman65 on August 22, 2020, 08:56:58 AM
This one assembly in Thomasville, GA proves interesting as it has one span wire strung between two other span wires.

Huh, I like it!

iPhone

STLmapboy

Anybody ever seen double thru arrows?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

(images clipped)

Sorry this is Brooks Av At Lake St in Arlington MA. Street Signs will be installed later when signs are posted. Here are the design plans: https://www.arlingtonma.gov/home/showdocument?id=36925

roadman65

How about a five section with the bottom two side by side. https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/50138056503/in/album-72157715183258717/

PA used to use these in Downtown Hershey.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 22, 2020, 09:12:59 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 22, 2020, 08:56:58 AM

Huh, I like it!

iPhone

So do I. Augusta has them on Gordon Highway as well.

Indiana has a similar set up in Kokomo but half diagonal and half two straight wire set ups.

Sheryl Crowe

STLmapboy

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 22, 2020, 11:34:11 AM
(images clipped)

Sorry this is Brooks Av At Lake St in Arlington MA. Street Signs will be installed later when signs are posted. Here are the design plans: https://www.arlingtonma.gov/home/showdocument?id=36925

Thanks. The existing signal is pretty ancient.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 22, 2020, 02:20:11 PM
(images clipped)

Oh yeah. I made a map just now if our traffic lights. We have a lot of old ones but the important ones are newer.
The blue signals are the old ones. Likely pre 1990s. Orange are 1990-2000 installs. 2000-2014 or so. Then Reds are new installs (these have reflective back plates). 2015-present.

iPhone

STLmapboy

Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 22, 2020, 03:51:07 PM
(images clipped)

Oh yeah. I made a map just now if our traffic lights. We have a lot of old ones but the important ones are newer.
The blue signals are the old ones. Likely pre 1990s. Orange are 1990-2000 installs. 2000-2014 or so. Then Reds are new installs (these have reflective back plates). 2015-present.

iPhone

Cool! I once tried to make a map of span wires vs mast arms in the St Louis area (we have 10-15% wires), but I never completed it.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Quote from: STLmapboy on August 22, 2020, 04:08:32 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on August 22, 2020, 03:51:07 PM
(images clipped)

iPhone

Cool! I once tried to make a map of span wires vs mast arms in the St Louis area (we have 10-15% wires), but I never completed it.

We have 2 span wire signals.

Here which is the worst traffic light in my town (No need for it!):

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4116029,-71.1581765,3a,75y,190.87h,91.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKEjQ6c8ux3oSfiZUn-ivpg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Then this MassDOT signal (which I guess is two signals):
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4025445,-71.1570995,3a,32.4y,264.88h,93.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sL2AEgqadEXDZwS-DsVvjPQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4026286,-71.1558792,3a,32.3y,79.23h,92.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAOOBFOOKckk-hmhlP41M2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

and what a weird backplate, never seen something like this in MA.:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4026286,-71.1558792,3a,15y,94.94h,95.9t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAOOBFOOKckk-hmhlP41M2Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

STLmapboy

Ever seen anything quite like this? Four signals overhead for two lanes terminating at a T junction. Interesting sign also.

Nearby in Tuscaloosa: https://www.google.pl/maps/@33.2062956,-87.5256723,3a,24.9y,93.87h,97.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sr4X-X-JpJD2VqtFhWS0rEQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/50250774273/in/dateposted-public/

Noticed lately that some areas at one way streets is using a straight arrow on the signal head closest to the side of the intersection that is DO NOT ENTER.

Reminds me of Newark, NJ.  In the City of Newark at one way street intersections the city would use 2 arrows instead of the usual green ball to show the only two turns that a motorist can make at the intersection.  However, that became problematic when the one way was to left as it would give a green left arrow which means protected left when you still had to yield to oncoming traffic.  As at one time left turn signals were scarce in NJ and growing up in Union County, NJ we had only two protected left turns in my area  which were along NJ Route 28 in Roselle Park.  Now of course the state is full of them, and I am sure Newark was pressured into ridding those arrow configurations to avoid collisions from motorists thinking that the turn is completely protected when it is not.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

(images clipped)

The newer MA signals are quite nice.  I wouldn't judge the signal until it is completed.  Like Amtrakprod said, the signs will come eventually.

Quote from: roadman65 on August 23, 2020, 08:53:58 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/50250774273/in/dateposted-public/

Noticed lately that some areas at one way streets is using a straight arrow on the signal head closest to the side of the intersection that is DO NOT ENTER.

Reminds me of Newark, NJ.  In the City of Newark at one way street intersections the city would use 2 arrows instead of the usual green ball to show the only two turns that a motorist can make at the intersection.  However, that became problematic when the one way was to left as it would give a green left arrow which means protected left when you still had to yield to oncoming traffic.  As at one time left turn signals were scarce in NJ and growing up in Union County, NJ we had only two protected left turns in my area  which were along NJ Route 28 in Roselle Park.  Now of course the state is full of them, and I am sure Newark was pressured into ridding those arrow configurations to avoid collisions from motorists thinking that the turn is completely protected when it is not.

While the Newark thing is quite dangerous, the first signal you posted is quite common.  A green straight arrow is another indication that a left or a right is prohibited at all times. And it is quite a useful thing.

It is not always for do not enter, they also exist at prohibited left turns, even when the cross street is not a one-way.

https://www.google.pl/maps/@34.076293,-118.2917625,3a,75y,271.39h,89.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg6KOP2zJBFTpJ0ma1QRz5Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Amtrakprod

(images clipped)
Also that street sign system wouldn't work here or in most of the Nottheast. We don't have large roads like those (which is good!)

iPhone

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on August 21, 2020, 05:19:26 PM
Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Right outside Nakatomi Plaza in Century City, Los Angeles:

Right-facing green arrow in bottom left of doghouse

The bottom right lens is a green orb.

Are the two mixed up? Or is this correct?

There's also this funny situation (same intersection) where, even though no through movement exists here, the red orb is always lit because of the adjacent pedestrian crossing. Only when that is activated, is the red orb extinguished.

This is a weird setup.  IIRC, when I lived in L.A. in the 80s and 90s there was no restriction on requiring a turn at this intersection.  Cars from Fox Plaza could continue down Galaxy,if they wanted.

From the pictures, it is hard to tell what the signal phasing is at this corner.  It would also make sense to have a FYA signal for the right turn: R-YA-FYA-GA which would be a little more intuitive.

fwydriver405

Been curious about this for quite a while now. What states other than New Hampshire*, Rhode Island, and New Jersey primarily use 4-section bimodal signals (R-Y-G-G&YA) for PP(L/R)T signals?

I'm not sure if I should really include Maine or Massachusetts as "primary" users of 4-section bimodal signals becuase while both liked to use both 4 and 5-section signals in the past, AFAIK, new Maine and MassDOT signal installs are starting to primarily use 5-section doghouse signals instead of 4-section bimodal signals for right turns.

*NHDOT installs and maintained signals only use 4-section (bimodal) signals for a shared signal option. The 5-section signals (examples: 1, 2, 3, and 4) that are seen in New Hampshire are NOT NHDOT installs, those are usually installed by an outside contractor for a town/city.

----

I wish more northeastern states would have street name signs on or hanging from the signal pole.

NHDOT-maintained signals sometimes do include the street signs on the pole, like here on Route 125 at Harvey Hill / Wadleigh Falls Rd in Lee.

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Amtrakprod

Quote from: fwydriver405 on August 24, 2020, 10:56:50 AM
Been curious about this for quite a while now. What states other than New Hampshire*, Rhode Island, and New Jersey primarily use 4-section bimodal signals (R-Y-G-G&YA) for PP(L/R)T signals?

I'm not sure if I should really include Maine or Massachusetts as "primary" users of 4-section bimodal signals becuase while both liked to use both 4 and 5-section signals in the past, AFAIK, new Maine and MassDOT signal installs are starting to primarily use 5-section doghouse signals instead of 4-section bimodal signals for right turns.

*NHDOT installs and maintained signals only use 4-section (bimodal) signals for a shared signal option. The 5-section signals (examples: 1, 2, 3, and 4) that are seen in New Hampshire are NOT NHDOT installs, those are usually installed by an outside contractor for a town/city.

----

I wish more northeastern states would have street name signs on or hanging from the signal pole.

NHDOT-maintained signals sometimes do include the street signs on the pole, like here on Route 125 at Harvey Hill / Wadleigh Falls Rd in Lee.
As you said Massachusetts definitely does. But yeah that's typically used for a cheap town who doesn't want to buy another signal section. MassDOT currently uses 4 section FYAs for PPTL and Right turn doghouses for PPTR. They do not use inline 5 section signals for an odd reason (like Spokane Washington). Local quirk I assume.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.