News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What are all of the control cities on Interstates in your state?

Started by bassoon1986, March 22, 2012, 05:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: texaskdog on March 23, 2012, 03:21:54 PM
I still wonder why if you're in Austin all the signs for I-35 North say "Waco" instead of Dallas or Fort Worth or DFW.  Who goes to Waco anyway? 

The ATF?
<ducks>
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on March 22, 2012, 10:38:45 PM
Quote from: pianocello on March 22, 2012, 06:00:48 PM
Illinois:

You got a few right.

Here's the Illinois list, primary controls bolded, secondary controls in italics, in parenthesis is an alternate (i.e. Bloomington instead of Bloomington-Normal).  Primary controls show up on the mainline and at freeway-freeway interchanges.  Secondary controls show up everywhere else.

The 2dis:
I-24: Interstate 57, St Louis, Paducah, Nashville
I-39: Bloomington-Normal, LaSalle-Peru, Rockford, Wisconsin
I-55: St Louis, East St Louis, Springfield, Bloomington-Normal (Bloomington), Joliet, Chicago, Lake Shore Drive
I-57: Memphis, Sikeston MO, Cairo, Mt Vernon, Effingham, Champaign-Urbana (Champaign), Kankakee, Chicago
I-64: St Louis, East St Louis, Mt Vernon, Evansville, Louisville
I-70: St Louis, East St Louis, Effingham, Terre Haute, Indianapolis
I-72: Springfield, Pittsfield, Decatur, Champaign-Urbana (Champaign), Jacksonville, Quincy, Hannibal
I-74: Davenport, Moline-Rock Island, Galesburg, Peoria, Bloomington-Normal (Bloomington), Champaign-Urbana (Champaign), Danville, Indianapolis
I-80: Des Moines (losing in favor of "Iowa"), Iowa, Davenport, Moline-Rock Island, Joliet, Gary Indiana (being phased out), Indiana, Toledo (phased out in favor of "Indiana")
I-88: Moline-Rock Island (Moline), Dixon, DeKalb, Aurora, Chicago
I-90: Wisconsin, Rockford, Chicago, O'Hare, Indiana, Indiana Toll Road
I-94: Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Indiana

Now for the 3dis:
I-155: Peoria, Hartsburg, Lincoln
I-255: Memphis, Chicago, Interstate 270, St Louis Co, East St Louis
I-355: Rockford, Southwest Suburbs, West Suburbs, Northwest Suburbs, St Louis, Joliet
I-270: Indianapolis, Kansas City, St Charles, Effingham
I-172: Hannibal, Mt Sterling, Keokuk, Quincy
I-474: Indianapolis, Galesburg, Bloomington, Moline-Rock Island, Pekin
I-180: Hennepin, Interstate 80
I-280: Moline-Rock Island, Des Moines, Chicago
I-190: O'Hare, Chicago
I-290: Rockford, West Suburbs, Chicago
I-294: Wisconsin, Indiana, Milwaukee

Other:
IL-255: Interstate 270, Alton
IL-394: Danville, Chicago
IL-53: North Suburbs, West Suburbs
IL-56: Sugar Grove, Chicago
Elgin-O'Hare Expy: No controls, just East or West
US-20 (Rockford): Freeport, Belvidere
IL-6: Chillicothe, To I-74/474
US-34 (Galesburg): Kewanee, Monmouth, Galesburg
US-41 (LSD): No controls, juts North or South

Brandon you made 2 minor mistakes. I-294 SB from about Lake Cook Rd does use O'Hare as a control city on the mainline BGS. The entrances do not.

Also I-90 does have 1 instance of using Madison WB after the I-190 exit. It is on the gantry with Rockford at the I-294 North exit. Madison also used to be used north of Rockford prior to the new signage put up.

At I-294 North exit: http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9LlJvc2Vtb250JTJiSUwlN2Vzc3QuMCU3ZXBnLjEmYmI9NTkuMzYxMTg3NjM2Mjg5NCU3ZS00MC44NzAzNTM2OTg1JTdlMTcuODIxOTAwODc5OTcwMSU3ZS0xMzQuNjQ5NjUwNTczNQ==
You have to use the little guy to see it.
north of Rockford: http://www.ajfroggie.com/roadpics/il/i039n-i090w-us51il75exit.jpg
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hbelkins

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 23, 2012, 01:29:26 PM
St. Louis is a control city for westbound I-64 for a few miles.

You're right, of course. Brain flatulence.

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 23, 2012, 12:21:52 PM
I live in Virginia and I'm not motivated enough to look up a full list, especially as to those in Southwest Virginia (where I seldom drive). Off the top of my head I can think of the following:

I-64: Norfolk (eastbound east of Richmond); Richmond (westbound and eastbound); don't recall otherwise but I seem to recall a sign on the I-81 concurrency mentioning Charleston (without a "WV" clarifier, which struck me as odd when I saw it).

I-77: I've only used it southbound (not counting I-81 concurrency) and I think I remember the signs listing Charlotte without an "NC" clarifier. I last used that road in December 2004 on a football trip to Charlotte.

I-81: Winchester; Roanoke; I believe south of Roanoke you see Bristol. Don't recall north of Winchester. I hate driving on I-81 in Virginia because so many car drivers can't seem to deal with all the trucks.
I haven't been to the Tidewater area in a long time since my brother graduated from William & Mary, but I seem to recall I-564 being signed for "Naval Base." Don't recall the others. I-264 did not yet extend to Virginia Beach the last time I was down there, but I assume the signs most likely now say "Virginia Beach," "Norfolk," and "Portsmouth." I haven't been through Bristol since May 1997, but I assume I-381 southbound is signed "Bristol" and northbound is probably signed as "TO I-81."

I-64 uses Charleston where it splits from I-81. Coming into Virginia from WV Lexington is used.

I-81 uses Wytheville, then Bristol, then Knoxville in the southwestern part of the state. North of Winchester I think it uses Harrisburg, but can't be sure. I do know that north of Winchester there is a mileage sign that lists distances to Martinsburg WV, Hagerstown MD and Harrisburg PA. At the I-70 interchange in Maryland, Harrisburg is the northbound control city; southbound both Martinsburg and Winchester are overlooked in favor of Roanoke.

I-77 is Charlotte/Wytheville and Wytheville/Bluefield.

There is no control city for I-381 northbound.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

achilles765

Quote from: bassoon1986 on March 22, 2012, 05:42:09 PM
So this is partly because I want to know what the control cities are for interstate I'm not familiar with and partly because I know I'll see that some states flip-flop on control cities more than others. Let's keep it blue-shield interstates and not just freeways.

Louisiana:
I-10: Beaumont, Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, New Orleans Business District (at 610 split), Slidell, Bay St Louis
I-12: Baton Rouge, Hammond, Slidell
I-20: Dallas, Shreveport, Monroe, Vicksburg
I-49: (Texarkana), Shreveport, Alexandria, Opelousas, Lafayette, (Morgan City, Houma, New Orleans)
* these are assumptions for the future I-49 routes that are mostly in place already
I-55: Jackson, Hammond, New Orleans 
I-59: Hattiesburg, New Orleans

I-110:Natchez, Baton Rouge, Downtown, Metro Airport
I-210: Beaumont, Lafayette
I-220: Dallas, Monroe
I-310: Boutte, Houma, New Orleans, Donaldsonville (although Donaldsonville is more likely for LA 3127, and not on any 310 BGS)
I-510: Slidell, Chalmette, NASA,
I-610: Baton Rouge, Slidell

2 questions to my Louisiana peeps. Is it just me or did exits for I-55 north ever say Jackson, Miss?  And is Hammond a control city within LA for I-55 south, or just New Orleans?

In response, Hammond is the IH 55 control in Louisiana for south and North.  From Hammond to the state line, the northbound control city is Jackson.  Once in MS, the controls northbound become McComb, then Brookhaven, then Jackson
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

golden eagle

In MS:

I-10: Gulfport, Biloxi, New Orleans, Mobile (Bay St. Louis is a control city for I-10 in Slidell, LA)

I-20: Vicksburg, Jackson, Meridian

I-55: McComb, Brookhaven (I've seen it north of McComb), Jackson, Grenada, Batesville (seen this around Senatobia), Southaven (north of Hernando), Memphis

I-59: Meridian, Laurel, Hattiesburg, Picayune, New Orleans, MS Gulf Coast (signed only at US 49 in Hattiesburg)

I-69: Tunica

The three-digit interstates (220 in Jackson and I-110 in Biloxi) don't have control cities.

I'm interested in seeing what control cities MDOT will use to sign I-22 once it officially becomes an interstate. I'm sure they'd use Tupelo from the Tennessee line and then Birmingham east of Tupelo. In Memphis, TennDOT signs Birmingham on US 78 (the future I-22 in MS).

InterstateNG

I still wonder why if you're in Austin all the signs for I-35 North say "Waco" instead of Dallas or Fort Worth or DFW.  Who goes to Waco anyway? 

It's a city of 125,000 with a major university.
I demand an apology.

roadman65

I[4- Tampa, Orlando, Daytona Beach (Inside Orlando City Limits there are mostly no control cities and shields only)
I-10- Mobile, Pensacola, Tallahassee, Lake City, Jacksonville
I-75- Miami, Fort Lauderdale used with Miami at Naples, Naples, Tampa, Ocala (northbound only), Lake City, Valdosta
I-95- Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Daytona Beach, St. Augustine (some ramps southbound in Jacksonville), Jacksonville, Jacksonville Airport (at some interchanges in Downtown Jax), Savanah

I-275- Bradenton, St. Petersburg, Tampa, Ocala (Northbound in Tampa), Tampa Airport and St. Petersburg from I-75 South at north terminus
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: InterstateNG on March 23, 2012, 10:01:32 PM

It's a city of 125,000 with a major university.

Why is Ashland, KY used at all on I-64 in Kentucky for east of Lexington when Huntington, WV is more en route.  Ashland is several miles off the beaten path and Huntington is a much larger city than it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

corco

That's just state bias- kind of like how Oregon signs I-82 as Hermiston/Umatilla, despite Hermiston not really being on I-82 and much larger cities in Washington

The High Plains Traveler

Colorado:
NB I-25: Pueblo, Colorado Springs ("Colo Spgs"), Denver, Ft. Collins, Cheyenne
SB I-25: Denver w/ some Ft. Collins in there, Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Walsenburg, Trinidad, Raton
EB I-70: Grand Junction, Denver, Limon, ? (Burlington or Salina from distance signs on I-70)
WB I-70: Limon, Denver, Grand Junction, Green River
EB I-76: Ft. Morgan, ? (North Platte or Lincoln from distance signs on I-76)
WB I-76: Denver

New Mexico:
NB I-25: Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Vegas, Raton, Trinidad
SB I-25: Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Las Cruces
EB I-10: Las Cruces, El Paso
WB I-10: Las Cruces, Tucson
EB I-40: Albuquerque, Santa Rosa, Tucumcari, Amarillo
WB I-40: Albuquerque, Gallup, Flagstaff
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

corco

I think I-76 goes Ft Morgan, Sterling, Julesburg (maybe, no picture), Ogallala

Colorado seems to do a good job of just not signing cities on I-70 and I-76 east of Denver- I have very few interchange photos that show any sort of city name.

achilles765

ok I will try to see how close I get for Texas

Interstate 10 Heading East:
El Paso
Ft Stockton
San Antonio
Houston
Beaumont
Lake Charles

Interstate 10 Heading West:
Beaumont
Houston
San Antonio
El Paso
Las Cruces

Interstate 20 Eastbound:
Abilene
Ft. Worth/Dallas
Shreveport

IH 20 Westbound:
Dallas/ Ft. Worth
Abilene
El Paso

IH 27:
Amarillo
Lubbock

IH 30:
Ft. Worth/Dallas
Texarkana

IH 35 North:
Laredo
San Antonio
Austin
Waco
35 E: Dallas, Denton
35 W: Ft. Worth, Denton
35 North: Oklahoma City

Ih 35 Sourh:
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Waco (also for 35E and 35W South)
Austin
San Antonio
Laredo

IH 37:
Corpus Christi
San Antonio
Johnson City (technically more meant for US 281 since IH 37 ends just north of downtown SA)

IH 40 (which I almost forgot passes through TX):
Tucamcari
Amarillo
Oklahoma City

IH 44:
Wichita Falls
Lawton

IH 45:
Galveston
Houston
Dallas

And now, IH 69:
Kingsville
Robstown
Brownsville

IH 410 (San Antonio):
No Cities but is signed as "Connaly Loop"

IH 610 (Houston):
Bellaire (West Loop South of US 59)
Pasadena (signed at the exit for South Loop on IH 45 which is less than 2 miles from the beginning of the freeway that heads there)
Alviin (at the same exit, for IH 610 Westbound which shares ramps with the exit for Sh 35 which heads to Alvin)

IH 635 (Dallas side of the Metroples):
Mesquite
Garland
Copell
North Dallas
Flower Mound

And I think that's it for Interstates.  Thank God the topic did not include US Highways or state route freeways or anything HAH
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

corco

I don't know of any Ft Stocktons on I-10 east, but there are a couple Van Horns

(Pontiac G2 Matiz, from Mexico and not sold in the US to answer the inevitable car enthusiast question)

There's also an Albuquerque approaching I-40 from 87 south

Then Tahoka is the control city on I-27 once you're in Lubbock

bassoon1986

I'm kind of surprised because Southbound 35 from OK doesn't show Denton, only going NB from Dallas or FW on either 35. Granted Waco isn't at the southern 35 split but its the nearest big city. I figured from Austin, Dallas would be shown

Interstate Trav

Quote from: TheStranger on March 23, 2012, 02:39:03 PM
Quote from: Interstate Trav on March 23, 2012, 01:01:46 PM
I-5 North also has Portland as a Northbound Control City

Alright, will update my list above in a minute.

I-210 East also has Mtn Resorts and Redlands as Control Points

Is that true where it's still I-210 (at Route 57 in San Dimas)? 

I-210 West lists San Fernando as a Control City west of Pasadena.  Sacramento only shows up on Mileage signs and other freeways transitioning to I-210.

Gonna fix the list to reflect that.   Thanks. :D

Oh my mistake, I was just thinking that the 210 was I-210 from the 57 to the 10.  the Current I-210 only signs San Bernardino, Redlands doesn't appear until the jct with the 15, and that is after it becomes CA 210.

bassoon1986

Golden Eagle:

No Pascagoula for I-10 in MS?

And I remember some exits for 220 in Jackson saying things like North Jackson, but that's more directional than a control city I guess.

Achilles:
-I remember a time when I-20 west from Fort Worth used to show Weatherford.
-Tyler is greened out from US 80 and 20 EB signs from Dallas now although it's shown on mileage signs
-On entrance ramps from nearly every exit from Dallas eastward on I-20, Longview is shown, but never on a pullthrough
-Where does 635 show Coppell, North Dallas or Flower Mound? I know Mesquite and Garland are shown for 635 NB from I-20. DFW Airport is also shown on exits from 35E. But I've never seen those 3 locations used

And technically, there is a single pull through sign that says 35E northbound, Oklahoma City. At the US 77 Denton exit (464)

DTComposer

Quote from: TheStranger on March 22, 2012, 07:46:19 PM
I-110
Northbound: Los Angeles, Pasadena (note the latter section is on northbound Harbor Freeway in downtown LA, signed as "State Route 110" on north carriageway, but as I-110 southbound)
Southbound: San Pedro

The section in Downtown L.A. (signed as CA-110 northbound but I-110 southbound) uses Hollywood in addition to Pasadena.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=90011&ll=34.040156,-118.273627&spn=79.069519,137.636719&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Los+Angeles,+California+90011&gl=us&t=v&z=3&layer=c&panoid=g5zs8Wztsehp75hFxjVsOQ&cbll=34.040156,-118.273627&cbp=13,-356.62393760313984,,0,-0.11459155902615237

achilles765

Quote from: corco on March 23, 2012, 11:36:23 PM

(Pontiac G2 Matiz, from Mexico and not sold in the US to answer the inevitable car enthusiast question)

There's also an Albuquerque approaching I-40 from 87 south

Thank you for that.  I was thinking Van Horn as I typed Ft. Stockton.  The others you mention I was not aware of.  Darn, I was hoping I got them all haha

The High Plains Traveler

Minnesota:
NB I-35: Twin Cities or Minneapolis/St. Paul, Duluth
SB I-35: Twin Cities or Minneapolis/St. Paul, Albert Lea, Des Moines
WB I-90: Albert Lea, Sioux Falls
EB I-90: Albert Lea, La Crosse
WB I-94: St. Paul (given that the state line is just east of St. Paul), Minneapolis, St. Cloud, Moorhead
EB I-94: St. Cloud, Twin Cities or Minneapolis/St. Paul, Madison
I-494 and 694 generally have no control cities listed
I-35W is Minneapolis to downtown and then Duluth (NB) or Albert Lea (SB) once the outer suburbs are reached
I-35E is same, substitute St. Paul for Minneapolis.

kphoger

I-35 South near Laredo:  mileage for Monterrey, N.L.
https://www.aaroads.com/texas/ih035/i-035_sb_exit_8_03.jpg
(unable to locate this sign in GMSV. . . perhaps removed during Loop 20 construction)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on March 23, 2012, 10:05:54 PM
Why is Ashland, KY used at all on I-64 in Kentucky for east of Lexington when Huntington, WV is more en route.  Ashland is several miles off the beaten path and Huntington is a much larger city than it.

Probably because it's an in-state designation. In West Virginia, Ashland is also used between Exit 15 and the state line.

In my youth I remember a mileage sign for Ashland on I-64 eastbound in Jefferson County, located between the Hurstbourne Parkway (KY 1747) and Jefferson Freeway (KY 841) exits, before the Blankenbaker Road exit was built and that area developed. The distance was 180 miles. That sticks out like a sore thumb in my memory. That sign is gone now and has been for two decades.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: achilles765 on March 24, 2012, 11:49:57 AM
Quote from: corco on March 23, 2012, 11:36:23 PM

Rather surprising to see I-27 on that pullthrough sign, since that is essentially the end of I-27. I don't think there's an exit 0.

EDIT: Not exactly retracting the above, but "redriving" this route on Streetview (I drove through there about three years ago) reveals that there is an Exit 1 at 82nd Street just south of this interchange, which Streetview indicates is where "27" becomes "87". I detect a violation of exit numbering criteria, especially since Texas does use "Exit 0" where appropriate.

Perfxion

Add to the I-45 control cities/tags. A lot of the state/US highways run that into I-45 Houston downtown use Bush and Hobby airports as controllers.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

Alps

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on March 24, 2012, 08:30:45 PM

EDIT: Not exactly retracting the above, but "redriving" this route on Streetview (I drove through there about three years ago) reveals that there is an Exit 1 at 82nd Street just south of this interchange, which Streetview indicates is where "27" becomes "87". I detect a violation of exit numbering criteria, especially since Texas does use "Exit 0" where appropriate.
Not a violation - Exit 1 is an option. There's no rule that a state has to use Exit 0 on every highway just because it uses it once.

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 23, 2012, 12:38:32 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on March 22, 2012, 10:42:55 PM
For Indiana:

I-80: Chicago, Toledo/Ohio
I-94: Chicago, Detroit

Detroit is the Eastbound control city for the I-80/94 multiplex, so I guess technically Detroit is a control city for I-80 also (even though I-80 doesn't go there).

No doubt that it is a control city on the Borman, but I think most of the signs have both Detroit and Toledo to account for the two routes. Some signs show Detroit only so that would be technically true. By the same logic, I-465 would then have Cincinnati and Peoria as control cities as would where I-65 and I-70 overlap.

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 22, 2012, 10:42:55 PM
For Indiana:

I-64: St. Louis, Louisville
I-65: Louisville, Indianapolis, Chicago
I-69: Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Lansing (future will have Evansville for SB and perhaps Bloomington or Indianapolis or Crane or something for northbound)
I-70: St. Louis, Indianapolis, Dayton (older signs have Columbus, OH)
I-74: Peoria, Indianapolis, Cincinnati
I-80: Chicago, Toledo/Ohio
I-90: Chicago, Toledo/Ohio
I-94: Chicago, Detroit
I-164: Evansville/Henderson, KY (at the northern interchange with 64/69)
I-469: Fort Wayne (mentioned at the southern interchange heading east onto I-469 at I-69)

*The last two examples are one-time mentions since Indiana doesn't normally do control cities on 3-dis.

Those are the main ones, but there are some technical additions:

• I-65: Nashville (sign at exit 0 southbound), Toll Rd.
  • I-69: Petersburg (as it is signed today)
  • I-74: Crawfordsville (at Ronald Reagan Pkwy. interchange, but I think that is a fluke)
  • I-80: Des Moines (on Toll Rd.)
  • I-90: Chicago Skyway (at western end of Toll Rd.)
  • I-265: New Albany, and Clark Maritime Ctr (not that either it or SR 265 actually make it there)
  • I-275: Ohio and Kentucky
  • I-865: Chicago and I-465

Most likely, I-69 will have "Memphis" from Evansville south as Indiana favors large control cities. I doubt that Bloomington would be a permanent control city.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.