News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

6 Laning I-40

Started by US71, April 25, 2012, 12:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Now more folks will move into the area with the six lanes and then you will need eight lanes in five years.

bjrush

That's how development works
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 15, 2014, 12:55:43 PM
Now more folks will move into the area with the six lanes and then you will need eight lanes in five years.
There are already plans to 8-Lane I-49 in NW Arkansas at some later date.  Nothing engraved in stone, but I've seen a couple proposals.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

msunat97

The next section of I-40 to open in Faulkner County has paint lines for the median & new lanes.  There's still some shoulder paving & rumble strip work to be done.  A new "lane ends" sign was installed as well.  Looks like we're close to getting 2 more lanes on I-40.

msunat97

I saw an electronic message about a I-40 closure on Sunday 8/17.  This is where they are hanging beams for the new Conway exit.  I don't know the time however.

US71

I was through there this weekend. I noticed the overhead signs use Little Rock and Memphis for EB Control Cities, with  Fort Smith and Oklahoma City for WB.  A few idiots think the far right lane is only for merging, not driving.

msunat97

UPDATE: I-40 EB is now 6 lanes from Conway to the Faulkner / Pulaski county lines.  Looks the I-40 WB will be opened this week.

msunat97

AHTD: What's the latest on the county line to Morgan Exit construction?  Looks like everything has stalled after the completion of the median barrier.

msunat97

msunat97

Preliminary dirt / tree removal work has started on the last segment from the Highway 365 exit at Morgan to the I-40/I-430 interchange.  Expected completion is middle of 2016.

msunat97

Update: The EB section of I-40 from the county line to the Morgan / Highway 365 exit has ben painted.  It should be a matter of days until it is open.  The WB side hasn't been painted yet.  No idea on timing.  AHTD will have to answer if they can.

msunat97

Update: Most of the WB side has been painted.  I hope they finish it today.  Still no update from AHTD (imagine that) on the timing to open this segment.

msunat97

Looks like the new sections are now open with the new lanes. 

galador

Quote from: msunat97 on December 10, 2014, 09:26:57 AM
Looks like the new sections are now open with the new lanes.
Nice! I drove on it Monday, and it looked very close to being complete. Good to see that they have it open now.

US71

Quote from: msunat97 on December 09, 2014, 09:36:50 AM
Update: Most of the WB side has been painted.  I hope they finish it today.  Still no update from AHTD (imagine that) on the timing to open this segment.
Last I heard form AHTD, I think they were making upgrades to IDRIVEARKANSAS so weren't on line very often.

MikieTimT

Getting the ball rolling on widening 28 miles east of Little Rock within the next 3 years.  In the Draft 2023-2026 STIP, ARDOT has 17 miles from AR-440 to AR-31 at Lonoke and 12 miles from Jennette to W. Memphis scheduled for project development funding.  Now for the remaining 92 miles...

https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/2023-2026_STIP_Draft_General_Electronic.pdf Pg. 2 (Slide 33)

codyg1985

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 19, 2022, 02:12:17 PM
Getting the ball rolling on widening 28 miles east of Little Rock within the next 3 years.  In the Draft 2023-2026 STIP, ARDOT has 17 miles from AR-440 to AR-31 at Lonoke and 12 miles from Jennette to W. Memphis scheduled for project development funding.  Now for the remaining 92 miles...

https://www.ardot.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/2023-2026_STIP_Draft_General_Electronic.pdf Pg. 2 (Slide 33)

That is excellent news! Those aren't insignificant segments, either.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Road Hog

Quote from: codyg1985 on September 19, 2022, 02:21:08 PM

ARDOT should next do a segment in the middle for relief. When they rebuilt the White River bridge, they designed it with 6 lanes in mind.

The bump from 8 years ago threw me off at first.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Road Hog on September 21, 2022, 11:53:52 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on September 19, 2022, 02:21:08 PM

ARDOT should next do a segment in the middle for relief. When they rebuilt the White River bridge, they designed it with 6 lanes in mind.

The bump from 8 years ago threw me off at first.

I'm sure they will once funding becomes available.  Being a pay-as-you-go state means that everything gets done piecemeal unless the feds can kick in an earmark or two to actually handle what is truly an interstate resource.  Most of the traffic between Little Rock and Memphis isn't local/in-state traffic, exception being the segments being funded in the STIP.  At least they'll have the higher density segments done by then to address the worst areas first.

At least the overpass that prevents filling and adding the innermost 2 lanes in the median with a divider is being replaced at Remington Rd.

Road Hog

Not sure how much local traffic is part of the mix in either direction. Lonoke sits a 20-minute drive from McCain Mall and remains a backwater – and I'm rooting for Lonoke to prosper. "Small town charm" runneth over but hasn't helped Lonoke much. An I-40 expansion might help, but there is zero development there.

MikieTimT

Quote from: Road Hog on September 22, 2022, 07:40:23 PM
Not sure how much local traffic is part of the mix in either direction. Lonoke sits a 20-minute drive from McCain Mall and remains a backwater – and I'm rooting for Lonoke to prosper. "Small town charm" runneth over but hasn't helped Lonoke much. An I-40 expansion might help, but there is zero development there.

It'll grow eventually.  Most of the current growth is west, southwest and northeast in the metro area, but it's only a matter of time before land values dictate that it's turn comes.

wriddle082

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 23, 2022, 10:39:53 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on September 22, 2022, 07:40:23 PM

It'll grow eventually.  Most of the current growth is west, southwest and northeast in the metro area, but it's only a matter of time before land values dictate that it's turn comes.

We have a similar issue in Columbia, SC.  All of the growth has been west, northwest, and northeast.  Very little to the south or southeast down I-26, closer to where I live.

Anyway, I agree that they should try widening a section of 40 in the middle, around the White River and Brinkley, as relief.  Here in SC, they're finally nailing down the details for widening I-26 b/w Columbia and Charleston, and I think they may widen a relief section in the middle first, near I-95.

US71

Knowing how ARDOT works, about the time they finish 6-laning, it will need 8-laning.

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: US71 on September 25, 2022, 11:12:35 PM
Knowing how ARDOT works, about the time they finish 6-laning, it will need 8-laning.

You must drive I-49 between Fayetteville and Rogers often, lol. I said that when they widened it, go for 8 lanes or build the bridges and overpasses to accommodate it later.

US71

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on October 07, 2022, 09:43:08 AM
Quote from: US71 on September 25, 2022, 11:12:35 PM

You must drive I-49 between Fayetteville and Rogers often, lol. I said that when they widened it, go for 8 lanes or build the bridges and overpasses to accommodate it later.

Too often.  I've come up with a slogan for ARDOT:  Building for yesterday, sometime next week  :spin:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.