News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dual left turn only signs outside of California

Started by blawp, April 26, 2012, 11:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEK Inc.

Clark County, WA, uses ONLY signs for left turn indicating that a U-Turn is not permitted.  They generally only use them if there's a green protected right for the orthogonal trafficflow. 
Take the road less traveled.

twinsfan87

Quote from: swbrotha100 on June 25, 2012, 03:29:54 PM
Speaking of dual left turns, are there a lot of places where there are permissive-protected dual left turns allowed? These signals are everywhere in the Tucson city limits. I supposed it works because the majority of signals in Tucson are lagging left. Most places outside the city limits would have permissive-protected dual left turns as an exception rather than the standard.

The only ones I know of in Minnesota are at the I-94/W Broadway interchange (1 for WB lefts onto SB ramp; 1 for NB ramp lefts onto Washington Ave) and at Valley View Rd and Prairie Center Dr (a new flashing yellow arrow signal with bimodal LED in the doghouse signals; the signal is permissive in the off-peak hours and split-phase in the peak hours).

MnDOT generally has forbidden protected-permissive dual lefts but apparently is warming to the idea. I heard from a guy at work that MnDOT is looking to install flashing yellow arrows at almost all new installations, even those with dual lefts.

As for the dual left signage, this sign (with the larger rightmost left arrow) is very common and is in the MN version of the MUTCD: http://goo.gl/maps/ywgE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.