News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads that cross but never intersect

Started by bugo, May 20, 2012, 04:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: sr641 on May 22, 2012, 06:24:14 PM
US 35 and Interstate 71 don't ever intersect.

Neither do I-70 and about 10 random county roads in Thomas County, Kansas.
As I said, a worldwide list of overpasses and underpasses is going to get reeeeeally long.

Can we keep this to routes that cross multiple times but don't intersect?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

if you look at the earth just right, I-5 and I-95 cross over each other without intersecting.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mr. Matté

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 22, 2012, 07:12:22 PM
if you look at the earth just right, I-5 and I-95 cross over each other without intersecting.

Or give Google a few weeks and it'll happen anyway.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 22, 2012, 05:35:20 PM
Quote from: MrDisco99 on May 20, 2012, 10:28:02 PM
Plenty of ignored freeways along the old turnpikes in the northeast.

Penn Turnpike: I-95
That one will be changing in a few years; however, one can add I-81 to the list (one needs to use US 11 for a connection).

Quote from: MrDisco99 on May 20, 2012, 10:28:02 PMNJ Turnpike: I-295
True for the PA Turnpike (Future I-95) Connector, not true for the mainline NJ Turnpike; the 2 roads connect near the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

Add NY Thruway (I-87) & I-84 to the list as well.

In PA, I-476 (the Blue Route) and PA 320 cross each other 4 times but have no direct interchange.  I-476 also crosses PA 23 but has no direct interchange to it; one needs to use feeder ramps at the I-76 interchange south of the actual crossing.

The mid 70s maps of the proposed I-476 had an interchange with Pa 320 and Springfield Rd. I do recall in one of the articles pertaining to the construction of the Blue Route, from the late 1980s, that PennDOT purposely didn't put any interchanges between I-476 and Pa 320 because they wanted to keep traffic away from Pa 320.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

PHLBOS

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 22, 2012, 10:47:17 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on May 22, 2012, 05:35:20 PMIn PA, I-476 (the Blue Route) and PA 320 cross each other 4 times but have no direct interchange.  I-476 also crosses PA 23 but has no direct interchange to it; one needs to use feeder ramps at the I-76 interchange south of the actual crossing.

The mid 70s maps of the proposed I-476 had an interchange with Pa 320 and Springfield Rd. I do recall in one of the articles pertaining to the construction of the Blue Route, from the late 1980s, that PennDOT purposely didn't put any interchanges between I-476 and Pa 320 because they wanted to keep traffic away from Pa 320.
Correct, PennDOT had plans for a I-476/PA 320 interchange in that area (near Cardinal O'Hara High School) but dropped it from its plans.  I believe the actual reasoning behind that interchange elimination had more to do w/the High School protesting more than anything else.

Further south at the PA 320/US 1 interchange, there's still one old button-copy sign that gives hint of a then-future I-476 connection w/PA 320.  It's on the ramp from US 1 South; there's a blank area to the right of the NORTH 320 that's large enough for TO (NORTH) 476 lettering and shield.

IIRC, when I looked at an old map showing the original interchanges (many of the current interchages are downsized redesigns); the original design of the I-476/US 1 interchange did not provide a ramp from US 1 South to I-476 North.  The above-sign was likely intended to guide traffic from US 1 South to I-476 North via PA 320 North for a short distance.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 24, 2012, 01:13:16 PM
IIRC, when I looked at an old map showing the original interchanges (many of the current interchages are downsized redesigns); the original design of the I-476/US 1 interchange did not provide a ramp from US 1 South to I-476 North.  The above-sign was likely intended to guide traffic from US 1 South to I-476 North via PA 320 North for a short distance.

Yep I remember that as well.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.