AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wisconsin notes  (Read 345590 times)

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Last Login: Today at 03:59:48 AM
Re: Wisconsin notes
« Reply #2150 on: July 11, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »

Every little bit helps, but even if Wisconsin would have retained its automatic gas tax indexing, would it have been enough to keep up with needs and rising costs?

Probably not. But, if they did a one time increase, and then froze the automatic indexing until such point as the one-time increase matches what the gas tax would have eventually been, they'd have a higher income for several years to pay for larger projects that the steady tax increase might not pay for (due to inflation). All while still maintaining the steady increase for maintenance and other basic improvements.

WarrenWallace

• Last Login: July 17, 2018, 09:58:02 PM
« Reply #2151 on: July 11, 2018, 03:13:07 PM »

But will never happen in the current environment.  State officials are on record saying that any money received from online sales tax would be offset with cuts to other parts of the budget.  Which to me is just dumb.
I hate sprawl!

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #2152 on: July 11, 2018, 04:06:30 PM »

But will never happen in the current environment.  State officials are on record saying that any money received from online sales tax would be offset with cuts to other parts of the budget.  Which to me is just dumb.

So they're struggling with what they have, yet don't want any more money? I am so confused.

SEWIGuy

• Last Login: July 17, 2018, 10:44:26 PM
« Reply #2153 on: July 11, 2018, 04:17:26 PM »

So they're struggling with what they have, yet don't want any more money? I am so confused.
It's very simple when you think of it in these terms:  Scott Walker will be running for President in 2024 and doesn't want anything resembling a tax hike on his record.
quote fix --sso
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:43:03 PM by SSOWorld »

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #2154 on: July 11, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »

It's very simple when you think of it in these terms:  Scott Walker will be running for President in 2024 and doesn't want anything resembling a tax hike on his record.

Well, I'd rather have a tax hike than a budgetary shortfall on my record. I'd say more but this thread'll get locked.

dvferyance

• Last Login: July 17, 2018, 06:43:30 PM
« Reply #2155 on: July 16, 2018, 10:56:53 AM »

quote fix --sso
I really doubt he would run for president again. He wasn't even a top contender when he ran and was 2nd only to Rick Perry to drop out. The real problem is Wis Dot waste too much on project nobody wants. And they are always replacing signs that are by no means in need of replacement.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #2156 on: July 16, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »

I really doubt he would run for president again. He wasn't even a top contender when he ran and was 2nd only to Rick Perry to drop out. The real problem is Wis Dot waste too much on project nobody wants. And they are always replacing signs that are by no means in need of replacement.

Which projects do you think were unpopular?

Seems like WisDOT is spending money like they used to, however, they aren't taking money in like they once were.

You either have a high budget, and high-quality infrastructure. Or, a low budget, and crumbling infrastructure. I don't know what the situation is in Wisconsin, but over here in Washington, WSDOT is having to spend a lot of money on maintenance and rebuilding because many of our freeways and major arterials are coming to the end of their original lifespan. This wasn't a major problem twenty years ago, like it is now. Stuff like the new 520 bridge, or new 99 tunnel, were only built because the original infrastructure was inadequate for modern times, mostly because of structural fragility. There were other advantages to rebuilding, but the weren't the primary one. From the 70s to the 90s, if they weren't building new roads, they were improving existing ones to meet new demand. This often resulted in freeways with two types of pavement: the original (not yet old enough to need replacing), and the new.

Wisconsin, like many state DOTs who might have deferred maintenance, has two priorities right now: rebuild and maintain existing structures, and improve the infrastructure to meet demand. Doing both at the same time requires a very large budget.

Here in Washington, there have been three major gas tax increases since 2000. Many of the projects funded as part of these increases were new projects that improved flow, sometimes by rebuilding what already existed, and improving it by adding lanes, etc. WSDOT could not have funded many of their new projects without a gas tax increase, because the main yearly operating budget goes primarily to maintenance. Capital improvement programs are a separate section of the budget, and are usually the bits funded by gas tax increases.

GeekJedi

• Last Login: July 16, 2018, 06:52:01 PM
    • The Geek Jedi
« Reply #2157 on: July 16, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »

The real problem is Wis Dot waste too much on project nobody wants.

Projects you donít like are not the same as projects nobody wants. Unless you can actually name one...
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

dvferyance

• Last Login: July 17, 2018, 06:43:30 PM
« Reply #2158 on: July 17, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »

Projects you donít like are not the same as projects nobody wants. Unless you can actually name one...
Replacing signs that are in fine condition is something I am sure most could agree is a waste of money. From what I understood the Burlington bypass was not very well supported won there at the time it was being built. They also go ahead and build roundabouts even if it's not in the interest of the community to becasue they always act like they know better. The Hwy 18 and 83 one in Wales was widely opposed by local officials there.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:36:51 PM by dvferyance »

DaBigE

• Following the LEGOģ brick road

• Last Login: Today at 02:00:59 AM
« Reply #2159 on: July 17, 2018, 04:39:12 PM »

Replacing signs that are in fine condition is something I am sure most could agree is a waste of money

How many times are you going to beat that poor dead horse?
Did you test all the signs with a retroreflectometer to see if they all still met MUTCD specs? Did you at least request the results of the retroreflectometer readings?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 03:53:32 AM
    • Patrick Lilja's Minnesconsin Highways
« Reply #2160 on: July 17, 2018, 10:16:25 PM »

Maybe instead of making expressways into freeways that didnít need to be and four-laning roads that donít need to be and pouring more money into dumb Foxconn shit, they could have put more money into the freeway connecting the stateís two largest cities.
Minnesconsin Highways

Clinched 2dis: 35, 39, 41, 43, 76 (W), 84 (E), 88 (both), 96, 97

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #2161 on: Today at 02:52:05 AM »

Replacing signs that are in fine condition is something I am sure most could agree is a waste of money

How many times are you going to beat that poor dead horse?
Did you test all the signs with a retroreflectometer to see if they all still met MUTCD specs? Did you at least request the results of the retroreflectometer readings?

inb4 "signs that existed before modern reflectivity requirements are allowed to stay up until the end of their useful life".

End of useful life could mean "when they are no longer reflective" (i.e. not readable unless hit with direct light). This requires replacement.

Further, it seems to me that many new signs across Wisconsin are the result of changes to intersection or interchange geometry, generally necessitating new signage. From an outsider's perspective, Wisconsin does seem to have made a lot of changes in geometry over the last 15 years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.