News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

White border around a yellow background is a design error, but that's reaching.

PurdueBill

Is the off-center "EXIT ONLY" on the left sign the major design error?  (Maybe also nit-picky but possibly avoidable)

roadfro

Quote from: Brandon on June 18, 2013, 01:13:28 PM
Quote from: ET21 on June 18, 2013, 12:02:13 PM

Going I-35 South by going onto I-35 north...

I've seen this sign a number of times, and I fail to see the design error here.  I-35 North goes with I-80 East, which you are already on.  I-35 South is an exit from I-80 East at this point.

The I-235 panel is missing a "Left" plaque in the exit tab, and does not accurately reflect that the middle lane is an option lane.

I think the arrows used on the 80/35 panel seem to be out of place. Yes, the "through" route curves at this point, so the up arrows are appropriate--it just seems at odds with the "right lane" message on the 35 south panel. They could have simply referred to I-35 on the sign (as they did with the advance diagrammatic sign upstream) and had a supplemental sign stating the southbound traffic should keep right.

I think the overall sign isn't in error, it's just not the best design.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vtk

Is there a green gap between the yellow panels and the white border? If so, then the continuous white border is not an error. 

But I do think it's problematic to use a yellow panel for the "right lane" action message on the I-35 south sign.  That would sort of make sense if one was already on I-35 south and all through traffic must get in the right lane (kind of a converse of "exit only") but that's not the case here.  A simple white on green action message of "right lane" or, even better, "keep right", would be sufficient.

Also, the middle lane is an option for I-235.  I know it's not the current standard, but I'd want to see a white-on-green down arrow in the bottom right corner of the I-235 guide sign.  Or a full Arrow-Per-Lane sign might be reasonable here, retaining the I-35 South panel with a white-on-green action message as I described mounted just to the right of the APL.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

1995hoo

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 18, 2013, 11:18:25 PM
Is the off-center "EXIT ONLY" on the left sign the major design error?  (Maybe also nit-picky but possibly avoidable)

It looks to me like they did that to ensure the arrow would line up correctly whilst also allowing them to keep the sign edges flush with each other. The alternatives are to space out the signs or to have the arrow not line up over the proper lane.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ET21

Quote from: NE2 on June 18, 2013, 12:29:24 PM

There's only one error here, and it's you.

I guess you didn't read the explanation on this page above this post  :rolleyes:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Alps

Quote from: ET21 on June 21, 2013, 11:58:26 PM

I guess you didn't read the explanation on this page above this post  :rolleyes:
I guess you don't know what a design error is.

agentsteel53

I don't find it to be a bad sign assembly.  not great - and it does omit the fact that the #2 lane is an option lane - but it's really tough to sign two splits in one intersection.

I can figure out, quite fast, that I need to get to the left for 235E, stay in the middle or use the right lane for 80E/35N, and get over to the far right for 35S.

that "speed limit 55", though.  something there, somewhere, has a design error if a freeway junction needs to be slowed down like that. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 24, 2013, 08:20:44 PM
that "speed limit 55", though.  something there, somewhere, has a design error if a freeway junction needs to be slowed down like that.

Probably not for the junction per se, but because you're entering the Des Moines metro area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Could also have been 55 mph before that point as well, and the flags serve to point out it's still 55 mph.

Or...the road was designed when the NMSL was in effect,  the designers decided to go with a design speed of 60 mph (which would thus be posted 55 mph).

Brandon

I don't find it to be a bad sign assembly.  not great - and it does omit the fact that the #2 lane is an option lane - but it's really tough to sign two splits in one intersection.

I can figure out, quite fast, that I need to get to the left for 235E, stay in the middle or use the right lane for 80E/35N, and get over to the far right for 35S.

It's for I-235, but I agree about it being a major design error.  But then again, Iowa seems to think all urban areas need speed limits of 65 mph or slower (I-35/80 is 65 mph around Des Moines - it could handle 70 mph easily).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/9144318929/
Not exactly a design error, but did not want to open a new thread just for this one sign and its almost close to being a design flaw as this assembly should have been another type for its use.  This here is, I think, supposed to have a double headed arrow beneath it as US 17 & 92 do indeed cross at this intersection in Lake Mary, FL.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

deathtopumpkins

That's not a design error. That's an arrow that fell off.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

burgess87

This one might qualify . . . street blade sign in yellow and Arial Black, it looks like?

Scott5114

Helvetica. Note the curved leg on the capital R. On Arial and its variants, the leg comes straight out.

Also, nobody noticed one of the tittles in "Minneapolis" appears to be trying to escape on that Des Moines sign...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ET21

Quote from: Steve on June 24, 2013, 08:17:28 PM
Quote from: ET21 on June 21, 2013, 11:58:26 PM

I guess you don't know what a design error is.

*shrug*  :-/
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 26, 2013, 09:27:53 AM

Could also have been 55 mph before that point as well, and the flags serve to point out it's still 55 mph.

Or...the road was designed when the NMSL was in effect,  the designers decided to go with a design speed of 60 mph (which would thus be posted 55 mph).

Iowa uses the flags (like any other place I've seen them) at the beginning of speed zones, not in the middle of them.  Google Street View comfirms that the speed limit for westbound traffic at that point goes up to 65 mph.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

This is on private property in Alexandria, Virginia, and I'm not sure it's a "design error" so much as it is a misplaced sign, but I found it amusing and this thread seemed like the most appropriate place for it. I was looking east on Green Street and the white truck in the distance was heading south on Washington Street (VA-400).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Zeffy

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 30, 2013, 02:10:19 PM
This is on private property in Alexandria, Virginia, and I'm not sure it's a "design error" so much as it is a misplaced sign, but I found it amusing and this thread seemed like the most appropriate place for it. I was looking east on Green Street and the white truck in the distance was heading south on Washington Street (VA-400).

What, you mean to tell me I can't drive on that? But parking is that way!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Billy F 1988

I would say a placement fault. If the sign behind it leads up to the parking, that DO NOT ENTER sign should not be placed there except if there is an exit lane on that same driveway that has an entry lane going in to the establishment and an exit lane going out.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 27, 2013, 11:31:33 PM
Helvetica. Note the curved leg on the capital R. On Arial and its variants, the leg comes straight out.

Also, nobody noticed one of the tittles in "Minneapolis" appears to be trying to escape on that Des Moines sign...
You mean "Mìnneapolis."

kphoger

Quote from: Steve on July 01, 2013, 08:07:28 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 27, 2013, 11:31:33 PM

You mean "Mìnneapolis."

M·ınneapolis
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

KEK Inc.

Yellow street blades aren't really a design error...
Take the road less traveled.

vtk

I'm pretty sure the newest MUTCD doesn't allow yellow street blades.  Even under older manuals when it was allowed, it wasn't a good aesthetic choice.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Brandon

Quote from: vtk on July 02, 2013, 08:52:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the newest MUTCD doesn't allow yellow street blades.  Even under older manuals when it was allowed, it wasn't a good aesthetic choice.

Yellow street blades are always used, IIRC, with a warning sign in the MUTCD.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.