News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Cryptic word messages on traffic signs

Started by J N Winkler, July 02, 2012, 08:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on June 27, 2013, 08:54:05 AM
How about "Gd" for Grand in Grand Rapids, MI.  I think they could have used "Gr" instead. 

As stated in another thread, "Gd" is standard in Michigan for "Grand".  "Gr" would be for "Great".

Gd River Ave
Gd Rapids
Gd Ledge
Gd Haven
etc.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Molandfreak

Colo Sprgs (Colorado Springs). They should have at least spelled out springs.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on June 27, 2013, 03:52:47 PM
How about "Gd" for Grand in Grand Rapids, MI.  I think they could have used "Gr" instead. 

As stated in another thread, "Gd" is standard in Michigan for "Grand".  "Gr" would be for "Great".

Gd River Ave
Gd Rapids
Gd Ledge
Gd Haven
etc.

If I had not seen that information on this forum, I'd probably assume it stood for "Good" unless I made the "Grand Rapids" connection.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 27, 2013, 04:03:56 PM

Gd River Ave
Gd Rapids
Gd Ledge
Gd Haven
etc.

If I had not seen that information on this forum, I'd probably assume it stood for "Good" unless I made the "Grand Rapids" connection.

At least it is consistent.  I'd rather a DOT use a consistent abbreviation that one can figure out from seeing it a number of times than inconsistently use abbreviations.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

A handful of Saw Mill and Taconic signs read "S M P" or "T S P" with nothing else in the shield.

Scott5114

Quote from: ChoralScholar on June 26, 2013, 11:24:41 PM
There's one in Conway, AR that says

Univ. Cent. Ark.
Exit 129

Couldn't we have completed at least ONE word?!?

Similarly: "Ok. Dept. of Agric." for I-35 exit 104.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TEG24601

I always saw GD, and the first thing I thought of was from a sketch from "The Hour Has 22 Minutes", and it means "God Damn".  (GD Clicker Box = Remote Control).
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

vtk

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 27, 2013, 04:03:56 PM

Gd River Ave
Gd Rapids
Gd Ledge
Gd Haven
etc.

The word "good" is writtten as "gd" in Grade 2 (the most common form of) Braille.  Anyway, be glad MDOT didn't standardize on "Gr&".
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

US71

I'm not sure if this would qualify, but:  DR MLK JR DR in Greenville, MS
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

dfilpus

On the exit ramps from I-140 to I-40 East, there are small green signs which say UNCW with an arrow.
(University of North Carolina-Wilmington)

SidS1045

Quote from: Steve on June 27, 2013, 07:02:39 PM
A handful of Saw Mill and Taconic signs read "S M P" or "T S P" with nothing else in the shield.

Ah yes, the ever popular Teaspoon Parkway.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Compulov

Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2013, 08:43:29 PM
I have a bicycle bell, but I rarely use it.  It has come in handy, for example, when cycling on what amounts to a sidewalk through a large park, about to overtake people walking.  What I find, actually, is that sometimes a person hears the bell, then moves in the opposite direction I was anticipating–sort of like when a rabbit darts across the highway directly into your path.  Without ringing the bell at all, I run the risk of clipping someone's elbow, but I'm unlikely to bowl them completely over.  I don't know, it's been a toss up for me.

I think a bell has a similar problem to the emergency vehicle siren, you look around figuring out where it's coming from and where to go, so much so that you risk a collision. My fiancee and I were walking through a park (on a mixed-used path) and I heard someone say "on your left" behind me. That was significantly more useful than a damn bell, as it tells me, hey, there's someone I need to watch for on my left. Doesn't help if you can't figure out your left from your right quickly, though... Of course that doesn't help at all if you're someone who likes to drown out the world with music when you're walking, but at that point, I figure it's your own damn fault. It's one of the reasons I can never listen to music when I walk... I'm too paranoid that I'll get mowed down by a car or bike.

Alps

Quote from: US71 on June 28, 2013, 07:43:59 AM
DERP MILK JERR DERRRRRRR

elsmere241

Quote from: Steve on July 01, 2013, 08:04:35 PM
DERP MILK JERR DERRRRRRR

When Wilmington, Delaware changed Wilmington Blvd. to you-know-what, the new street signs said "M.L. King Jr. Blvd."  People complained, saying "M.L King Jr. could be anybody."

vtk

Quote from: Steve on July 01, 2013, 08:04:35 PM
DERP MILK JERR DERRRRRRR

Last week's Futurama revealed Lrrr (ruler of Omicron Persei 8!) has a son named Jrrr.  And there was a veterinarian on that planet named Drrr.

kphoger

I'm still trying to figure out how to obey or disobey the "DO NOT PASS" signs that Kansas puts up at the beginning of road construction zones–when they're on an elevated, divided freeway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

I've only seen "Gt" for Great.

theline

^^ Wrong. Anyone who's been to Alanland knows that "Gt" always stands for "Goat." (I couldn't help myself.)

empirestate

Quote from: theline on July 04, 2013, 08:37:29 PM
^^ Wrong. Anyone who's been to Alanland knows that "Gt" always stands for "Goat." (I couldn't help myself.)

Well, having never been there myself, it is in fact not wrong that I've only seen it mean "Great". :-P

Scott5114

Okla. Dept. of Transp.
Pott. Co.
Maint. Hdqrs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Zeffy

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2013, 02:37:38 PM
Maint. Hdqrs.

I've only seen headquarters abbreviated as "HQ". Everything else looks ugly.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PurdueBill

I knew I'd seen HDQRS somewhere before.

(Note that one is a DOT district HQ and the other a Highway Patrol district office; different agencies so different district boundaries?)

Locally, I thought of a "HQ" sign right away.  Not sure if the sign will survive or be changed with the new Goodyear global headquarters moving to a nearby location served by the second exit, not the next one.

1995hoo

I am pretty sure there's a sign near my house that uses "HDQT." I'll keep my eyes peeled on Monday.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 05, 2013, 02:37:38 PM
Okla. Dept. of Transp.
Pott. Co.
Maint. Hdqrs.

That's cryptic?  My guess would be "Oklahoma Department of Transportation/Pottawatomie County/Maintenance Headquarters" (if I spelled all those right).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vtk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.