News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MD 2 in Baltimore Oddity

Started by talllguy, May 03, 2014, 10:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talllguy

Here is an odd sign I spotted on W Lafayette Ave at St. Paul St. in Baltimore. As many of you know, the city doesn't do a particularly good job signing things, especially state and US routes. This one is a color scheme I'm not used to though. What is the meaning and history of this?

Lafayette at St. Paul St. by Elliott Plack, on Flickr

MD 2 What? by Elliott Plack, on Flickr

cpzilliacus

Quote from: talllguy on May 03, 2014, 10:12:23 PM
Here is an odd sign I spotted on W Lafayette Ave at St. Paul St. in Baltimore. As many of you know, the city doesn't do a particularly good job signing things, especially state and US routes. This one is a color scheme I'm not used to though. What is the meaning and history of this?

Lafayette at St. Paul St. by Elliott Plack, on Flickr

MD 2 What? by Elliott Plack, on Flickr

The "round" state route signs were once somewhat common in Baltimore City (there were once many along Md. 140,  Reisterstown Road, in Baltimore City only - which date back to when U.S. 140 was decommissioned), but I have never noticed one like this before. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

This shield has gotten redder over time.  Here is GMSV from 2011...

http://goo.gl/maps/baZHF

Mapmikey

Alex

So its just a side effect of weathering over time. There was no red on the shield in 2010:

talllguy

Wow, thanks for posting those. So weird that a sign would "fade" to red. Why are they circles though?

hotdogPi

Quote from: talllguy on May 04, 2014, 03:02:12 PM
Wow, thanks for posting those. So weird that a sign would "fade" to red. Why are they circles though?

We occasionally get circles in Massachusetts too.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Zeffy

It's the default state route marker as specified in the MUTCD. Only NJ, DE, IA, MS, and one another use these as their state route markers.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Big John

Quote from: Zeffy on May 04, 2014, 03:13:03 PM

It's the default state route marker as specified in the MUTCD. Only NJ, DE, IA, MS, and one another use these as their state route markers.
KY.  plus VA secondary routes.

hbelkins

And West Virginia county routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

And Vermont town-maintained state highways.

Henry

Quote from: Big John on May 04, 2014, 03:26:26 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on May 04, 2014, 03:13:03 PM

KY.  plus VA secondary routes.
OK did too, until it changed over to the state outline a few years ago
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.