Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

I can stomach a .500 8-8 Division Winner entering the SuperBowl Tourney.

It does stink when it is at the expense of a 10+ Win "In the hunt"  team, tho

Alps

Everyone knows the rule. Win your division. They all play for this. Otherwise you're at other teams' mercy.

thspfc

Quote from: formulanone on December 10, 2019, 11:30:39 PM
Cardinals were 8-8 with a strong second half and a late push to get to Super Bowl XLIII a decade ago.
*9-7. Winning record, but still improbable.

silverback1065

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 11, 2019, 06:18:11 PM
arena football league is officially dead  :-(

Shame about that, it used to be a lot of fun going to Arizona Rattlers games. 

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2019, 06:34:15 PM

They were Arena's best team so many seasons.  Indoor football was fun!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on December 11, 2019, 06:44:36 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 11, 2019, 06:34:15 PM

They were Arena's best team so many seasons.  Indoor football was fun!

Rick

And it was easy to get even box seats for those games.  My brother and I usually had a couple party's a year at Rattlers games.  America West basically has you sitting on top of the game, it was an awesome arena to watch the NHL too. 

jakeroot

Arena is dead, but isn't indoor alive and well? Along with the Rattlers.

webny99

Quote from: Beltway on December 10, 2019, 09:33:27 PM
The 2010-2011 Seattle Seahawks made the NFL playoffs with a losing record of 7 wins and 9 losses.  They were the first NFL team to make the playoffs with a losing record in a non-strike season.

A lot has changed since then. The NFC West is now arguably the strongest division and could potentially send three teams to the playoffs this year. Even the Cardinals are looking better.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: webny99 on December 13, 2019, 09:26:52 AM
The NFC West is now arguably the strongest division and could potentially send three teams to the playoffs this year.

Could, but probably won't, unless Minnesota completely implodes. Which, knowing my team, is entirely possible. :ded:

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 13, 2019, 02:30:42 PM
The NFC West is now arguably the strongest division and could potentially send three teams to the playoffs this year.
Could, but probably won't, unless Minnesota completely implodes. Which, knowing my team, is entirely possible. :ded:

Actually, here's a take: I think it's the Packers that are more likely to implode. They have looked... mediocre at best over the past month or so, thinking of the Niners and Chargers games in particular. Beating the Redskins by 5 isn't very convincing, either.

ET21

Quote from: webny99 on December 13, 2019, 03:48:04 PM

Actually, here's a take: I think it's the Packers that are more likely to implode. They have looked... mediocre at best over the past month or so, thinking of the Niners and Chargers games in particular. Beating the Redskins by 5 isn't very convincing, either.

If they survive their final 3 games they'll do their usual first round implosion
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

MNHighwayMan

Oh, you're right. It's just that I assumed Aaron Rodgers will pull his usual Rodgers bullshit and still win the division.

thspfc

I remember 2013, when I was still a Packer fan. Rodgers got hurt halfway through, and they sucked for the rest of the season but still magically made the playoffs after he got back. They were 8-7-1 I believe.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 13, 2019, 07:52:35 PM

Oh, you're right. It's just that I assumed Aaron Rodgers will pull his usual Rodgers bullshit and still win the division.

He's lucky he's on a team that targets QBs and ruins their careers rather than playing against them.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

The Buffalo Bills have CLINCHED a playoff spot for the SECOND time this century (and they didn't even string it out to Week 17!!)
And, they have notched a TEN WIN season for the FIRST time this century.

Yes, you did indeed read that correctly, I was one year old the last time the Bills had 10 in the W column!!

Note to Chiefs fans: a fourth Patriots loss basically serves you a first-round bye on a silver platter, so root for the Bills!
(It would also pave the way for the Pats having to host a Wild Card... which is something that everybody should want, not just Chiefs fans!  :D)

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 13, 2019, 07:52:35 PM

Here's something interesting:
The Bills and Vikings are in basically identical spots heading into the final 2 weeks of the season:

-Lock or virtual lock for the playoffs after getting help from rivals in Week 15
-One game behind the division leader
-Play the division leader in Week 16
-Must WIN against the division leader to keep divisional hopes alive
-Need another win PLUS an upset loss by the division leader in Week 17 to win the division (i.e., do not control their own destiny)
That's... very specific, but somehow does apply to both the Bills and Vikings. So, both divisions may come down to Week 17. Here's hoping!  :popcorn:

webny99

Are the Atlanta Falcons the most confusing team in the NFL?
They're 5-9, have been eliminated from postseason contention for weeks now, and yet own head to head wins over the Saints AND the Niners. What?

The Rams and Cowboys are both also in the running for the most confusing team in the NFL... so we might have a legit competition going here!

nexus73

Quote from: webny99 on December 16, 2019, 12:13:29 PM
They're 5-9, have been eliminated from postseason contention for weeks now, and yet own head to head wins over the Saints AND the Niners. What?

The Rams and Cowboys are both also in the running for the most confusing team in the NFL... so we might have a legit competition going here!

Ahh, the power of parity!  It can get more extreme.  One season saw a winless at the time Indy team beat the Pack who were enroute to a Super Bowl title in week 12.  You cannot let your guard down in the NFL.  There are no "body bag" games like in college football.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

oscar

Quote from: webny99 on December 16, 2019, 12:13:29 PM

The Falcons's bye week did wonders for them, somehow.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2019, 04:40:10 PM
Arena is dead, but isn't indoor alive and well? Along with the Rattlers.

Some other leagues still exist like the Indoor Football League, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_Football_League The Iowa Barnstormers and the Arizona Rattlers was 2 former Arena Football League teams who moved to this league.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on November 27, 2019, 03:06:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 27, 2019, 02:16:07 PM
The 49ers couldn't come up big (granted the back up kicker didn't help) against the Seahawks.
I think that has less to do with the Niners being flawed, and more to do with Russell Wilson being exceptionally good at getting the W close games.

On this subject of the Seahawk's many narrow victories, here's an interesting read:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-seahawks-keep-it-close-is-that-any-way-to-win-a-super-bowl/

webny99

So, both divisions may come down to Week 17. Here's hoping!  :popcorn:

Kicking myself for this post. It probably would have happened if I hadn't posted this.
Instead, Pats clinch their 11th straight title as Bills-Pats ends the EXACT same way that Bills-Ravens ended 2 weeks ago: Bills in the red zone down 17-24 at the 2 minute warning, and can't execute.
The Pats had too much on the line to lose this one and played like it. Still hoping for a Dolphins upset to (hopefully) give the Chiefs the first round bye.
Welp, Brady is now 32-3 all time against the Bills. I guess there's always the playoffs to look forward to... and next season...

KEVIN_224

Have they changed the league's name to the NEFL yet? As with Super Bowl LIII, if they (New England) make it to LIV in Miami Gardens, I will not watch.

I didn't watch, listen or monitor LIII whatsoever. Didn't fully know the final score until maybe 11:30 ET that night. I stayed off Facebook all night. Didn't receive any messages from my brother (Seattle fan, but despises New England, too).

thspfc

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 21, 2019, 09:18:35 PM
Have they changed the league's name to the NEFL yet? As with Super Bowl LIII, if they (New England) make it to LIV in Miami Gardens, I will not watch.

I didn't watch, listen or monitor LIII whatsoever. Didn't fully know the final score until maybe 11:30 ET that night. I stayed off Facebook all night. Didn't receive any messages from my brother (Seattle fan, but despises New England, too).
I'm astonished by people who hate winners. Winning is not a dislikeable trait, yet so many people get salty about constant winners and I don't know why. (I'm not a fan of any NFL team, much less the Patriots.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.