Variable Speed Limits

Started by Zmapper, August 11, 2012, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on August 17, 2012, 03:16:59 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 17, 2012, 02:54:18 PM
I found an image on Flickr and have no idea whether it's authentic. See the second image on this page (won't allow direct linking).
This one? http://www.flickr.com/photos/wxkeith/6288100978/
And that is what the Turnpike signs look like. Trust me. I've seen them activated already.

Ian

^ Speaking of the New Jersey Turnpike VMS's, they're a real pain to photograph...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

1995hoo

Quote from: Steve on August 17, 2012, 07:34:21 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 17, 2012, 03:16:59 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 17, 2012, 02:54:18 PM
I found an image on Flickr and have no idea whether it's authentic. See the second image on this page (won't allow direct linking).
This one? http://www.flickr.com/photos/wxkeith/6288100978/
And that is what the Turnpike signs look like. Trust me. I've seen them activated already.

Thanks, I haven't been on there in a year or two. But do the standalone speed limit signs look like that too? That's really the subject of this thread, after all.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Here's one of the white-on-black...incidently taken during a snowfall back in Febraury.  As the snow wasn't sticking, the speed limit remained normal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7651960@N04/7805744300/in/photostream

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 17, 2012, 08:53:21 PM
^ Speaking of the New Jersey Turnpike VMS's, they're a real pain to photograph...

You need a very slow shutter speed to do it properly - and thus a bunch of other settings to compensate as best you can. Electronic signs are tricky beasts due to the cycling.

NE2

It also tends to work better the farther back you are. Not sure if there's an optical reason for this, or if higher zoom changes other camera settings.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ian

Quote from: Steve on August 18, 2012, 01:39:54 AM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 17, 2012, 08:53:21 PM

You need a very slow shutter speed to do it properly - and thus a bunch of other settings to compensate as best you can. Electronic signs are tricky beasts due to the cycling.

That makes sense, but not sure if I could do that in motion without getting some sort of motion blur.

Quote from: NE2 on August 18, 2012, 10:37:54 AM
It also tends to work better the farther back you are. Not sure if there's an optical reason for this, or if higher zoom changes other camera settings.

I'll be sure to keep this in mind the next time I want to photograph a VMS like this.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.