News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Randy Hersh: 1953-04-22 to 2012-08-15

Started by J N Winkler, August 29, 2012, 03:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Beltway on August 31, 2012, 12:04:00 AM
Quote from: Steve on August 30, 2012, 11:37:20 PM
Well HB you definitely kept poking him rather than let it die. (What, too soon?) If we all ignore trolls, they go away. You in general do a poor job of that.

No, he would not "go away".  He kept posting serial personal abuse toward people who had killfiled him and totally ignored him for months.

I know I did...no longer having to put up with Randy's racism (as one who isn't Caucasian) was probably the biggest reason I immediately supported this forum when it was created.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on August 30, 2012, 11:37:20 PM
Well HB you definitely kept poking him rather than let it die. (What, too soon?) If we all ignore trolls, they go away. You in general do a poor job of that.

I had him killfiled for months, if not years. Every time he found a new name to use in spewing his garbage, I killfiled it as soon as it surfaced. Only time I saw his garbage was when someone else quoted it, or when a new name surfaced before I could get it plonked.

I tried to make it a point not to respond to him, even when he was posting his misguided views about transportation projects. Back when he was semi-tolerable, I gave up arguing with him over Corridor H when it became obvious that his dislike of that project was based more on his hatred of rural America than any logical reasoning.

I also ignore Carl Rogers and don't respond to him, so your assertion that I do a poor job of not responding to trolls is invalid. I can't help the fact that I wrote a "viatology" page and someone on m.t.r., probably one of the Britons who's tired of him spamming their transportation newsgroup, occasionally posts a link to it. ;-)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

I'm more than just a little curious how you're planning to go about making your amends to the dead.

Beltway

Quote from: bugo on August 31, 2012, 03:19:46 PM
I'm more than just a little curious how you're planning to go about making your amends to the dead.

Human sociology is that with even the most infamous people, once they are deceased, people tend to view them in a more detached and philosophical light. Randy loosed a tremendous amount of abuse and disruption to MRT over a period of several years, but that won't be possible in the future.  Given the description of the fatal disease, I don't see any point in not letting go of the past.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

NE2

He's going to hell for opposing Corridor H.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.