AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wisconsin notes  (Read 434663 times)

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 10:38:37 PM
Re: Wisconsin notes
« Reply #2800 on: December 09, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »

I recently noticed that the intersection of N Hastings Way & Birch St in Eau Claire has two nearside corner signals & two far-side corner signals:

https://goo.gl/maps/xPKSSbPVvQgvyPEL8

This intersections appears to use Wisconsin's new signal layout, with the large mast arms and vertical overhead signals, but it has two nearside signals and two far-side signals on the corners as well. Basically, this has by far the most number of signal heads that I've seen at an intersection since the new style was adopted. I know nearside signals are fairly common, but not usually when also accompanied by farside 'corner signals' as well.

Is it possible that this signal was installed around the switchover time, so the signals ended up satisfying both the old and new requirements? Wisconsin has always had pretty good signal placement, but this intersection's signal placement is more comprehensive than what I remember.

Also, any other intersections in WI this many signals?

JoePCool14

• I'm surrounded by IDiOTs.

• Last Login: Today at 10:25:10 PM
« Reply #2801 on: December 09, 2019, 08:29:48 PM »

That's interesting. StreetView indicates those signals are at least 8 years old. That intersection is more typical of what I think of what Illinois practices, also with an extra left turn signal in the median.
:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.

JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
All posts are personal opinion and/or subject to factual error.
Please excuse my early posts; I was much less mature and knowledegable back in the day!

SSOWorld

• 'Sconsin

• Interstate <Make up your mind!>

• Last Login: Today at 07:52:40 PM
« Reply #2802 on: December 10, 2019, 03:17:32 AM »

Pretty much every setup.

The only change in signal design was to replace the trombone single head with the 1 per lane mast arm.  All other aspects remain unchanged.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ssoworld-roads/

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #2803 on: December 10, 2019, 03:44:02 AM »

Pretty much every setup.

The only change in signal design was to replace the trombone single head with the 1 per lane mast arm.  All other aspects remain unchanged.

I do not recall old signal setups including far-side corner signals. Two nearside signals were always the norm, but not two far-side corner signals, as seen at the Eau Claire intersection above. To be clear, I've never lived in WI (hell, I've never even visited), but I've spent a fair amount of time looking around on Street View, and the Eau Claire intersection seems to be a party of one. Surely if this is the norm, you can link to a couple identical examples?

As an example of what I mean, consider this signal in Lake Hallie -- three near-side signals, but zero far-side corner signals. Only two post-mounted median signals, and one overhead horizontal trombone-mast signal. AFAIK, far-left corner signals have only been used when there was no median to mount signals, and far right corner signals have never been common anywhere, that I can recall at least. Most new signals don't use them either (with some exceptions, of course -- many signals in Eau Claire seem to have them).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 04:01:54 AM by jakeroot »

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

« Reply #2804 on: December 10, 2019, 03:47:06 AM »

That's interesting. StreetView indicates those signals are at least 8 years old. That intersection is more typical of what I think of what Illinois practices, also with an extra left turn signal in the median.

The age is what prompted me to consider the question, since it features standards of both new installations (vertical signal per lane setups, more far-corner signals), but also features traits of the old setups (namely, near-side signals). The Eau Claire setup reminds me a lot of stuff I see in California or even Alaska.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 04:13:22 AM by jakeroot »

dvferyance

• Last Login: December 11, 2019, 01:56:33 PM
« Reply #2805 on: December 11, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »

I was on the Waukesha bypass today and saw crews out putting up new signs that included hwy 18 on them. The opening of the west bypass must be really close.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.