News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Worst Endings to a Highway

Started by Henry, September 22, 2012, 12:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 28, 2012, 09:46:53 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 28, 2012, 01:08:23 AM
The north end of PA's I-476 with its 180 degree turn into a toll plaza counts.

Indeed it does. 

Though  I think  someone pointed out that this curve is there because original plans had the N.E. Extension continuing north along the path taken by "free" I-81. 
Correct.  If you look closely you will see the stub left behind that would have been the continuation of the NE Extension along the outside of the curve. 

Hopefully, either PennDOT or the PTC will make use of it and make a better connection to I-81 NB and from I-81 SB to the Turnpike someday.  Maybe after NASA lands men on Mars it will happen.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 27, 2012, 10:33:31 AM
The Richmond Parkway on Staten Island might qualify for both "worst end" in terms of cancellation (because of the resulting traffic impact on I-278 due to traffic having to go up NY-440 and then all the way across on I-278 instead of cutting off about half of the latter's mileage) and in terms of "how" it actually ends (it dumps traffic onto its western service road, which then ends at Richmond Avenue, but the parkway itself continues for a short distance over unused pavement and abandoned overpasses to an abrupt end at Richmond Avenue). Other thing is, if you follow the most logical route from the end of the parkway, you wind up going so far back to the west that you haven't cut off much of I-278 at all.

Image here. The parkway should be obvious in the middle of the screen. If you zoom it out or pan the image you can find the ghost ramps where the road would have ended at I-278.

I seem to remember an original "Arden Ave" BGS over the non used portion.  I remember seeing pics of it on the internet but didn't see any overhead sign on the Bing map you posted. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

national highway 1

The fact that CA 110 peters out into some surface streets in Pasadena; it really needs to be properly connected to I-210.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.