AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Indiana Notes  (Read 276781 times)

silverback1065

• Last Login: September 16, 2019, 06:58:31 PM
Re: Indiana Notes
« Reply #1725 on: September 10, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »

I peaked at the SR 37 plans and it will still be 37 once the project is over, i was afraid they would decommission it.  The portion I'm referring to is the one in Fishers that starts today. 

SSR_317

• Why does FHWA hate "Exit 0"?

• Last Login: September 13, 2019, 02:49:42 PM
« Reply #1726 on: September 13, 2019, 02:08:19 PM »

I still wish they would try commuter trains on Nickle Plate instead of the rail to trail.

SM-G950U
Amen! The NE side along the NKP corridor will get screwed over with no direct mass transit alternatives to downtown Indy whatsoever now.

It's fishers fault. They're desperate for their own monon trail.
Exactly. Fishers screws up nearly everything they touch. While the Monon Trail is indeed nice, can you imagine if that route had been available for the new IndyGo Red Line instead of having to use College Avenue?

silverback1065

« Reply #1727 on: September 13, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »

After watching this red line launch, I'm sold. I think it's amazing that we finally have a good mass transit route. The green line (would have used that Nickle plate corridor) would have been perfect for commuters as a second means of transportation downtown.

tdindy88

• Last Login: Today at 12:06:14 PM
« Reply #1728 on: September 14, 2019, 09:13:50 PM »

I'm just going to say it here: the construction going on around Indianapolis is too much. After spending a good part of the day driving around I think INDOT is doing too much all at once. The 465 project on the southeast side, I-65 around Lafayette Road, 465 paving around the northwest side and the northeast side. And now they want to throw in work on I-70 from Indianapolis all the way to Ohio? The highway was shut down do to emergency repairs that had to be made on the shoulder of the highway since it was being used by traffic to get around construction that we just absolutely had to get done this year.

Jeez, I'm happy that we have the money is there to do all this needed work but can't some of this wait until next year? I-465 on the southeast side of Indianapolis IMO did not have to be done immediately this year. On such a beautiful weekend here in the city they are doing their damn best to keep you at home. They are doing too much all at once. And I bet the first full weekend we will have with no construction will be when we get a foot of snow and can only go 20 MPH on the highways. Alright, I've said my bit.

csw

• Last Login: Today at 10:01:00 AM
« Reply #1729 on: September 15, 2019, 09:43:31 AM »

Don't do the work, get complaints that the roads are horrible.

Do the work, get complaints that it's too much construction.

No one's ever going to like INDOT, so they're just going to do what they do.

silverback1065

« Reply #1730 on: September 15, 2019, 10:40:03 AM »

I'm just going to say it here: the construction going on around Indianapolis is too much. After spending a good part of the day driving around I think INDOT is doing too much all at once. The 465 project on the southeast side, I-65 around Lafayette Road, 465 paving around the northwest side and the northeast side. And now they want to throw in work on I-70 from Indianapolis all the way to Ohio? The highway was shut down do to emergency repairs that had to be made on the shoulder of the highway since it was being used by traffic to get around construction that we just absolutely had to get done this year.

Jeez, I'm happy that we have the money is there to do all this needed work but can't some of this wait until next year? I-465 on the southeast side of Indianapolis IMO did not have to be done immediately this year. On such a beautiful weekend here in the city they are doing their damn best to keep you at home. They are doing too much all at once. And I bet the first full weekend we will have with no construction will be when we get a foot of snow and can only go 20 MPH on the highways. Alright, I've said my bit.
Amen! I totaled my car in the construction zone Monday

Revive 755

• Last Login: September 15, 2019, 10:19:49 PM
« Reply #1731 on: September 15, 2019, 12:27:13 PM »

Don't do the work, get complaints that the roads are horrible.

Do the work, get complaints that it's too much construction.

While there's truth to those statements, were I-465 on the northwest side and I-865 in that bad of shape their projects could not have been delayed one season until the work on I-65 northwest of downtown was completed?  Also, I still haven't heard why the ramp from WB I-74 to Southeastern Avenue needs to be closed at the same time I-465 is closed.

I recall Missouri doing a slightly better job trying to avoid working on parallel/semi-parallel routes at the same time (not that they've always succeeded).  I don't recall MoDOT working on I-44 and I-70 during the US 40 closures about 10 years ago.  Right now it also appears they are delaying bridge work on I-55 until work on I-44 is done.  INDOT would have had lane closures on I-44 and I-70 during the US 40 closure, and would have both I-44 and I-55 reduced with bridge work.

silverback1065

« Reply #1732 on: September 15, 2019, 04:56:15 PM »

Indot royally fucked up i-70 in Greenfield, I don't understand how they let something like that happen.  You knew traffic was to be routed on the shoulders, you couldn't come up with a good enough pavement design to allow traffic to safely travel through? Ridiculous!

tdindy88

« Reply #1733 on: September 15, 2019, 09:05:11 PM »

On top of everything else, US 40 in Hancock County has a current chip-seal repair going on and apparently US 40 through Greenfield has been "improved" (ie. fewer lanes.) I-74 around Shelbyville and past Greensburg also has more construction going on.

This is what happens when you pile more stuff on top of what you are already doing. That's what INDOT is, a kid piling more food on his plate when there is still plenty on. And I bet that all of these projects are spreading the construction crews out very thinly which is what's making them take so long. Two weeks to do repair work on I-465 in one direction. Maybe it's absolutely needed but I would venture a guess that if you focused more people on the project they could get it done in a week, they did to I-465 on the southwest side last year (closing one direction for a week or so.)

The paving work in the long run around the city will be nice, but they got so much going on. I-65 from I-465 to Southport, which desperately needed to be repaved, still has one lane that has not been repaved on the southbound lanes. They started this project back in May. They still need to put lane markers on the northbound lanes that has been done for more than a couple of months. I bet if they weren't already paving I-465 from I-65 on the northwest side to I-69 on the northeast side, plus I-69 for the first five miles to the north, they could have had this work already done.

Again, I don't think many are actually complaining about the work being done. It's good and it's appreciated, it's just way too much and because it's too much it's taking so much longer than it probably needs to be taking.

silverback1065

« Reply #1734 on: September 15, 2019, 09:15:27 PM »

On top of everything else, US 40 in Hancock County has a current chip-seal repair going on and apparently US 40 through Greenfield has been "improved" (ie. fewer lanes.) I-74 around Shelbyville and past Greensburg also has more construction going on.

This is what happens when you pile more stuff on top of what you are already doing. That's what INDOT is, a kid piling more food on his plate when there is still plenty on. And I bet that all of these projects are spreading the construction crews out very thinly which is what's making them take so long. Two weeks to do repair work on I-465 in one direction. Maybe it's absolutely needed but I would venture a guess that if you focused more people on the project they could get it done in a week, they did to I-465 on the southwest side last year (closing one direction for a week or so.)

The paving work in the long run around the city will be nice, but they got so much going on. I-65 from I-465 to Southport, which desperately needed to be repaved, still has one lane that has not been repaved on the southbound lanes. They started this project back in May. They still need to put lane markers on the northbound lanes that has been done for more than a couple of months. I bet if they weren't already paving I-465 from I-65 on the northwest side to I-69 on the northeast side, plus I-69 for the first five miles to the north, they could have had this work already done.

Again, I don't think many are actually complaining about the work being done. It's good and it's appreciated, it's just way too much and because it's too much it's taking so much longer than it probably needs to be taking.
Noones complaining about the work, we're complaining about the stupid scheduling. Why the hell would you close roads and route traffic on roads that are also under construction? The only reason why they had to close 465 on the south side is because that's the oldest section of 465 with the worst interchanges. I don't understand why they won't fix those exits from the left down there! In the next 7 yrs the entire Northside will be 8 lanes wide with auxiliary lanes between each exit.

silverback1065

« Reply #1735 on: September 15, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »

If you're mad now just wait until next fall. Shittier things are to come on the closure front...

tdindy88

« Reply #1736 on: September 16, 2019, 12:52:30 AM »

What's next fall? There's the North Split project to go, I-69/I-465 on the northeast side and planned work on the southern part of I-465 plus the SR 37 closure in Martinsville.

silverback1065

« Reply #1737 on: September 16, 2019, 06:57:15 PM »

What's next fall? There's the North Split project to go, I-69/I-465 on the northeast side and planned work on the southern part of I-465 plus the SR 37 closure in Martinsville.

basically that and many other planned projects in the coming years.  north split will be the worst...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.