News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

A DDI would undoubtably take up less land than the current interchange. I'd actually like to see a DDI constructed here in Madison (there are two on Interstate 39/90 in Janesville)

jOnstar1979

I understand when you question the whole innovative
Quote from: GaryV on January 30, 2022, 12:42:55 PM
Quote from: Ryctor2018 on January 30, 2022, 11:38:25 AM
From a few days ago: http://www.modernize75.com/activity-by-segment/segment3/weekly-updates/20225120-mdot-receives-federal-approval-to-build-innovative-interchange-at-i-75-and-12-mile-road/

Innovative? DDI's aren't really that innovative anymore. They even mention the 2 DDI's that have already been built just to the north. Plus there's an older one in Auburn Hills on University Drive.

I do understand completely when you question the whole innovative title for another DDI. I always felt like Michigan has always been late to the ball game when it does come to any innovation towards the freeways. I don't know if it is just me, and this may sound a little strange... but I almost get embarrassed when I drive in other states and wonder how come I don't see this here? How about the HOV for example. Is MDOT going to call that innovative when they finally get that going on I-75. 25 to 30 years way too late! Glad to see its going to happen but come on Michigan!

Although I did hear today that there is going to be an investment to make one of corridors a wireless charging highway for EVs. Not positive, but I am sure that will be a first for the US if they can make it work.

Speaking of the DDI's off 75... they work great! I only have one complaint and it is with the 14 mile DDI. The traffic signal timing needs to be delayed from Red to Green. I noticed today coming from SB I-75 left to EB 14 Mile... When the light hits green, there are still 2 to 3 cars that run through the red on 14 mile as the ramp traffic is starting to move. When the cross lights turn green and I am in front of the line... I'm always holding up for a second or two after witnessing some very close calls there.

Flint1979

The thing that irks me the most about MDOT right now is that they are reconstructing I-75 in Oakland County and not widening the highway when it most certainly should be widened. They are doing six lanes when in reality it should be eight lanes.

GaryV

It is being widened to 8 lanes, but until it's done, only 6 lanes are being used. Supposedly the 4th lane will be HOV or toll once it gets done.

kernals12

It's one thing to widen a freeway in one of the nation's fastest shrinking cities, but to claim it needs to be an HOV or toll lane is just crazy.

Ryctor2018

Only Detroit proper is losing population. Metropolitan Detroit has a mostly staple population for decades. Oakland county, Michigan has a population of 1,274 million folks as of 2020. The AADT of the I-75/12-Mile Rd interchange is 94,000. It needed 4x4 lanes 20 years ago. The interstate is 4x4 just south of I-696 so this is long overdue.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

Flint1979

Quote from: kernals12 on February 02, 2022, 12:44:41 PM
It's one thing to widen a freeway in one of the nation's fastest shrinking cities, but to claim it needs to be an HOV or toll lane is just crazy.
It doesn't and as mentioned Metro Detroit has had a pretty stable population over the last 40-50 years. It hasn't grown much but it hasn't lost much either. Detroit itself has lost a considerable amount of population. I still think it could be stable at around a million to about 1.3 million people it should still have that but it doesn't. The Metro area though has over 4 million people and the traffic counts on I-75 in Oakland County call for a widening project which now I see is going to be HOV or toll lanes which I too think is ridiculous it should be a fourth lane in each direction. US-23 has the flex lane but I don't think that having a part time lane makes much sense, just widen it. The traffic on I-75 in Oakland County has been a major problem for years especially the closer to Detroit you get.

Flint1979

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on February 02, 2022, 02:14:20 PM
Only Detroit proper is losing population. Metropolitan Detroit has a mostly staple population for decades. Oakland county, Michigan has a population of 1,274 million folks as of 2020. The AADT of the I-75/12-Mile Rd interchange is 94,000. It needed 4x4 lanes 20 years ago. The interstate is 4x4 just south of I-696 so this is long overdue.
Detroit's inner ring suburbs aren't doing all that great. Sterling Heights and the townships around M-59 in Macomb County like Shelby Township, Clinton Township, Chesterfield Township and Washington Township have all grown pretty significantly over the last 30-40 years. Oakland County has seen growth like in Troy, Novi, Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield and other townships further away from Detroit while losing population in places like Southfield, Pontiac, Hazel Park, Oak Park and so on. Macomb County lost population closer to Detroit too like in Warren mainly south of 10 Mile. Harper Woods is as ghetto as Detroit now, 20 years ago it was a decent suburb and Eastland Mall was doing well but that changed in the 2000's. Harper Woods is in Wayne County though which overall lost population again.

wanderer2575

Quote from: GaryV on February 02, 2022, 11:32:57 AM
It is being widened to 8 lanes, but until it's done, only 6 lanes are being used. Supposedly the 4th lane will be HOV or toll once it gets done.

HOV between 6:00am and 9:00pm weekdays, and between 3:00pm and 6:0pm weekends.  No tolls.

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 02, 2022, 07:21:03 PM

HOV between 6:00am and 9:00pm weekdays, and between 3:00pm and 6:0pm weekends.  No tolls.
I can't believe they are only using these lanes part time it's like a cheap way out to be quite honest. These highways carry massive amounts of traffic and if this was another state they would have been widened years ago. I don't get how MDOT figures that six lanes is proper for I-75 in Oakland County when it carries over 100,000 VPD in some areas and their solution is to put in a part time HOV lane. This state only makes sense part of the time.

rhen_var

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 02, 2022, 07:26:42 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 02, 2022, 07:21:03 PM

I can't believe they are only using these lanes part time it's like a cheap way out to be quite honest. These highways carry massive amounts of traffic and if this was another state they would have been widened years ago. I don't get how MDOT figures that six lanes is proper for I-75 in Oakland County when it carries over 100,000 VPD in some areas and their solution is to put in a part time HOV lane. This state only makes sense part of the time.
The HOV lane will function as a full fourth lane outside of those hours.

https://www.modernize75.com/Project-Highlights-HOV

"HOV Lane will allow all users during off-peak operations."

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Renewed roadgeek

JREwing78

Flint1979

I don't think they are for traffic count I think they are there so you can see the lines easier when there is glare or rainy weather.

GaryV

I don't think he's talking about the lines between lanes.  Rather, the octagonal shapes in the lanes, which typically are used for sensors.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: GaryV on February 15, 2022, 10:58:33 AM
I don't think he's talking about the lines between lanes.  Rather, the octagonal shapes in the lanes, which typically are used for sensors.

Yes, I was talking about the octagonal shape marks within the lanes on I-75.
Renewed roadgeek

Flint1979

Southbound I-75 at the Zilwaukee Bridge is closed due to someone who jumped off the bridge.

The Ghostbuster

It's sad people find their own lives so hopeless they have to end it by jumping off a bridge. If any of you find out more about the jumper, let us know.

Flint1979

It has reopened. However it was not a jumper as first reported but rather a pedestrian that was hit by a pickup truck. An Ortonville woman for some reason parked her vehicle on top of the bridge and ran into the path of the oncoming pickup truck. The woman was hospitalized in serious condition but expected to survive.

The Ghostbuster

Thanks for the update, Flint1979.

Flint1979

Flint1979

I-75 is closed between Square Lake (exit 75) and I-696 (exit 61) in both directions.

12 Mile Road is also closed at I-75 in both directions.

Flint1979

Also the ramp from EB M-59 to SB I-75 is closed.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 26, 2022, 07:57:31 AM
I-75 is closed between Square Lake (exit 75) and I-696 (exit 61) in both directions.
For this weekend and next weekend
12 Mile Road is also closed at I-75 in both directions.
For most of the rest of the year as they build a DDI.

The I-75 closure is to take down bridges at Lincoln and Gardenia (effectively 10 1/2 Mile and 11 1/2 Mile roads)

They will also be installing crossovers so that 2 lanes in each direction will be sharing the southbound roadway. I believe this would be in preparation for replacing the nb bridge over 13 Mile Rd. (Sb was done last year.)

Edit: Also ramps from I-696 to nb I-75 will be closed for most of the year.

Flint1979

I didn't mention why it's closed but that is the reason posted above. Best alternate route would be Square Lake to Woodward to I-696 back to I-75 for SB I-75 and vice versa for NB I-75.

For other traffic currently I-275 is backed up NB from north of the US-12 exit to I-94 but that should be clear before anyone reads this.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.