News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Gordonville Road is also closed. Saginaw Road is closed north of Bailey Bridge. The only bridge in Saginaw County across the river that I did not check is M-46 which may still be open.

catch22

The Curtis Road bridge over the Tittabawassee River in Edenville has been washed out.

https://twitter.com/CJPostal/status/1263096125994737664

Google street view from about the same spot.

https://goo.gl/maps/oLYjMcCyaZqFki7x8

ftballfan

Looks like there are no bridges open right now between M-61 and downtown Saginaw. However, as that wall of water moves downstream, I could see the downtown Saginaw bridges closed, leaving Zilwaukee as the only one open

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on May 20, 2020, 10:18:37 AM
Looks like there are no bridges open right now between M-61 and downtown Saginaw. However, as that wall of water moves downstream, I could see the downtown Saginaw bridges closed, leaving Zilwaukee as the only one open
I'm in Saginaw and used the Zilwaukee Bridge to cross the Saginaw River. Nothing looked as bad as in Freeland and the part of Midland I was in at Zilwaukee. I used Hotchkiss Road and US-10 to come back to I-75. At Bailey Bridge the road is flooded until about 300 feet or so to Saginaw Road.

I'm sitting at Sheridan and Williamson on the SE side of Saginaw as I type this so I'll look at the river as I cross it to go back to the west side of Saginaw.

Flint1979

As far as Saginaw River crossings in Saginaw County go. All bridges are currently open. The water level is still several feet below the deck of the bridges. If any of these bridges close the Court Street Bridge would probably remain open it sits higher than the other bridges and isn't in any danger right now. Also the Zilwaukee Bridge would remain open since that bridge is 125 feet high and wouldn't be in any danger. The Bay City bridges could be effected as well.

In Midland the entire city is now under water and everything south to the Saginaw River is closed and flooded. I got a close up look at the bridge at Tittabawassee Road across the Tittabawassee River earlier and the water was up to the bridge deck and Tittabawassee was flooded to the west.

Flint1979

Closed as far north as Estey Road which is close to Edenville. M-61 is backed up with traffic since that's the first major road across going north that's open. Further down everything is now closed until M-57.

All Saginaw River crossings are still open.

Thomas Township which is part of metro Saginaw has no access to Saginaw Township or city unless you go to M-57 and come around. M-52 is closed at the Bad River at St. Charles as well. Fergus and Birch Run Roads are also closed at the river crossings. M-13 is closed at the Cass River but open at the Flint River.

Flint1979

This is at State Street in Saginaw Township. You can see the bridge deck between the trees. The water is just under that.

Flint1979

Another pic of the State Street bridge.

edwaleni

Does anyone know if the owner of that Pontiac Fiero museum was able to get his collection out of Sanford before the water came through?

He had a pretty unique collection of cars there. It would be a shame if they were all lost to the flood as they are obviously not replaceable.

GaryV

Quote from: edwaleni on May 20, 2020, 10:55:26 PM
Does anyone know if the owner of that Pontiac Fiero museum was able to get his collection out of Sanford before the water came through?

He had a pretty unique collection of cars there. It would be a shame if they were all lost to the flood as they are obviously not replaceable.

I would guess the site is under water.  It's less than 1/2 mile from the post office, and I saw a picture of that with water more than halfway up the entrance door.

catch22

Quote from: GaryV on May 21, 2020, 07:40:24 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on May 20, 2020, 10:55:26 PM

I would guess the site is under water.  It's less than 1/2 mile from the post office, and I saw a picture of that with water more than halfway up the entrance door.

Someone posted this on Reddit. No clue if any of the cars made it to higher ground beforehand.

Edit:  Also made the front page of the Detroit News this morning.  This shows a couple of the Fieros that didn't make it.

https://www.detroitnews.com/picture-gallery/news/local/michigan/2018/10/16/newspaper-snapshot-todays-front-page/1665115002/

catch22

The US-10 bridge over Sanford Lake was damaged due to the flooding.  MDOT posted some pictures on their Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/MichiganDOT/status/1263482681876262912

Flint1979

Some of the bridges in Saginaw County have reopened and gordonville Road in Midland County has reopened as well

edwaleni

I guess this answers the question on the Fieros. The owner had moved several of them to what he thought was higher ground and they were swept up in the current and many were flipped over.

The double sad part is that the owner was retiring and had contracted out a huge auction of all of the Fiero's for August. It was bringing in collectors from all over the country.

JREwing78

Has anyone seen any info from MDOT on any additional 2-lane mileage getting posted for a 60 or 65 mph speed limit? There's fairly extensive stretches in the western U.P. that could stand a bump, for example.

ftballfan

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 24, 2020, 05:50:49 PM
Has anyone seen any info from MDOT on any additional 2-lane mileage getting posted for a 60 or 65 mph speed limit? There's fairly extensive stretches in the western U.P. that could stand a bump, for example.
I haven't, but there are several stretches I've been on that could easily support 65:
US-10 in most of Lake County
M-50 between M-43 and Charlotte
M-52 between Stockbridge and I-96
M-55 between Lake City and Houghton Lake, as well as between M-157 and I-75
M-61 between M-115 and Harrison
M-66 between M-78 and I-96 (with brief drops in Nashville and Woodbury), as well as between M-46 and the Osceola/Missaukee line (with brief drops in Remus, Barryton, and Marion)
M-72 between M-66 and Grayling
M-79 between M-66 and Charlotte
M-115 between Mesick and US-10 (with a drop in the Cadillac area)

zzcarp

M-117 from Engadine to M-28 could use a boost to 65. When I've traveled through there, I could count the number of vehicles on that stretch with one hand.
So many miles and so many roads

Flint1979

The Seney Stretch could use a boost to 75.

bulldog1979

Didn't the law authorizing the increase come with a mileage cap? MDOT would probably have to go back to the legislature to get any other highways bumped.

bulldog1979

It looks like M-137's days are numbered. The GTCRC approved the resolution at its meeting according to minutes posted online, so now MDOT just has to sign off. If they follow GTCRC's time table, the transfer will be effective June 1, 2020.

Flint1979

Quote from: bulldog1979 on May 26, 2020, 10:38:51 AM
It looks like M-137's days are numbered. The GTCRC approved the resolution at its meeting according to minutes posted online, so now MDOT just has to sign off. If they follow GTCRC's time table, the transfer will be effective June 1, 2020.
I wonder if they are trying to eliminate spur routes like that.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 26, 2020, 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: bulldog1979 on May 26, 2020, 10:38:51 AM
I wonder if they are trying to eliminate spur routes like that.

Maybe, but that kinda sucks.  Good thing I have all the M-137 photos I need.  And Interlochen National Music Camp has quite a bit of M-137 merchandise for sale as a fundraiser.

MrManlet

A quick question. Why does the M-150 designation along Rochester Road even exist? It literally doesn't connect to another state route apart from M-59 and ends at Tienken Road.

GaryV

At one time M-150 went as far south as Eight Mile Rd.  After I-75 came about, the section from 8 Mile to (nearly) Big Beaver was eliminated as it was a parallel route.  Later the portion south of M-59 was relinquished to local control (mostly the city of Troy).  Perhaps Rochester Hills and Rochester are not eager to accept control of the remaining short section.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on June 27, 2020, 08:03:21 AM
At one time M-150 went as far south as Eight Mile Rd.  After I-75 came about, the section from 8 Mile to (nearly) Big Beaver was eliminated as it was a parallel route.  Later the portion south of M-59 was relinquished to local control (mostly the city of Troy).  Perhaps Rochester Hills and Rochester are not eager to accept control of the remaining short section.
It use to only go to Romeo Road too. I don't know when or why it was extended north.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.