News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Best Christmas Season Songs and Artists

Started by roadman65, December 01, 2012, 09:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Desert Man on December 28, 2017, 09:35:05 PM
Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas is you.

I recently learned what might be the reason this song has gained such success–surpassing the success of pretty much any Christmas song since the standards of decades gone by.  Both the style of the intro and even the chord progression are very similar to 'White Christmas.'  Specifically, the chord progression { I – I-7 – IV – iiØ7 } is what makes it sound so 'Christmassy,' because it's exactly the same as what's used in 'White Christmas'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

What I would like to know is why other version of songs by the same artists have been introduced to the radio market this year like another version of Jimmy Durante's Frosty The Snowman.  This year they used a shortened version so it seems that leaves out the "Happy Birthday" beginning and the sad goodbye by Frosty at the end.

In addition I have been hearing the past three years another version of Perry Como's Home For The Holidays as this version has a musical intro rather than Perry singing the first line accapella.  Plus the middle part with the chorus singing "Taking Plane, Take a Train, etc" which the normal version has been played does not have it in the one now being played but a clarinet solo instead.  I read that Perry recorded two versions and the one played before is his original.  But why all of a sudden stations now opted for the later version is a mystery.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

Among my favorite Christmas albums are Bruce Cockburn's Christmas, Carnie and Wendy Wilson's Hey Santa, and Mantovani's Christmas Carols - the latter was a favorite of my parents, so it evokes great memories of Christmas as a kid when I listen to it.  For 'novelty' Christmas songs, I'd have to rate Weird Al's Christmas at Ground Zero as a top favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

7/8

My brother showed me this song in the days before Christmas: Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing by Sufjan Stevens (ignore the video and just listen to the song :)).

Rothman

Did anyone mention DMX's version of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"?  Never knew it existed until this year. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.