AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: A photo journey along Minnesota highway 74  (Read 1402 times)

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: Today at 04:42:41 AM
A photo journey along Minnesota highway 74
« on: October 29, 2016, 04:49:06 AM »

A little over five years ago (August 2011) I went on a trip to explore the last unpaved segment of Minnesota's state highway network: the section of MN-74 between Elba and US-61, which travels through the Whitewater Wildlife Management Area. So I thought I'd share, even though they're not the best quality.

Part one
Part two
Part three

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: July 17, 2019, 09:18:31 PM
    • Patrick Lilja's Minnesconsin Highways
Re: A photo journey along Minnesota highway 74
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:45:14 PM »

I got to drive this section this spring. Was probably not the best time to do so though as the wet, muddy road got to be a bit harrowing at points.
It sucks that you think where Iím from is whack, but as long as thatís enough to keep your ass from coming back

Clinched 2dis: 24, 35, 39, 41, 43, 76 (W), 84 (E), 88 (both), 96, 97

froggie

• Last Login: Today at 07:22:26 AM
    • Froggie's Place
Re: A photo journey along Minnesota highway 74
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 12:41:53 PM »

While this segment of MN 74 is the last remaining unpaved state highway segment, there are a few segments elsewhere that I can see MnDOT reverting back to gravel, if they're not turned back to begin with.  The main one I'm thinking of is MN 65 north of MN 1.  There just isn't the traffic volume there to cost-effectively justify a paved roadway, but there are a few others besides 65.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.