News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

The new Bay Bridge

Started by bugo, February 26, 2013, 06:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdbx

If you want to see another view of that sign, check out this video that was recently posted about testing the LED lighting fixtures that the new bridge is being fitted with:

Personally, I am hoping for the chance to drive across the old eastern span one last time prior to next week's closure, but my window of opportunity is quickly closing.

pctech

The new bridge is awesome! The left exitBGS isn't too bad either. I prefer the stripped design as the Caltrans exit tabs go.

roadman65

The Orlando Sentinel here in Florida has an article in yesterday's paper about it being finally opened!  I see no one clinched it yet, or else it would have been said here, but if someone is from the area please let us know your experience.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

andy3175

To see a video of the new bridge (both directions) posted by FreewayBrent, see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kZ2oCKNoQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UU1h3GvHmdNJyKW-IA3CAS_g

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Mdcastle

So did pctech clinch it or am I the first? It was pretty cool at night with a light fog.

pctech

I've only seen LED street lamps on the supports of some traffic signals erected in the last couple of years here.New traffic signals and railroad crossing signals have had them for several years now. The only bridge that is cool enough to compete with the new SF bay bridge here is the James Audubon one north of Baton Rouge.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: pctech on September 10, 2013, 10:42:32 AM
I've only seen LED street lamps on the supports of some traffic signals erected in the last couple of years here.New traffic signals and railroad crossing signals have had them for several years now. The only bridge that is cool enough to compete with the new SF bay bridge here is the James Audubon one north of Baton Rouge.

Many California freeways now have LED lights.  A lot of California cities are switching to LED lights on their surface streets.  Granted, LED lights on conventional streetlights are much different from the pole. 

Railroad crossing/traffic lights have had red LEDs for 20 years now.  :P
Take the road less traveled.

ARMOURERERIC

The freeway illumination lamps at Exit 65 of I-8 here in Boulevard have been changed to LED's

bing101

Wow the New Bay Bridge looks great. But lets hope the bolts are repaired soon.

apjung

I clinched it a week after opening on September 9. Looks pretty nice but I wonder why the speed limit is still 50 on the new span with full shoulders on both sides? I had to set the cruse control on my cousin's Lexus RX450H to 54 to avoid accidentally going over the speed limit.

dfwtbear

Quote from: apjung on November 01, 2013, 06:59:16 AM
I clinched it a week after opening on September 9. Looks pretty nice but I wonder why the speed limit is still 50 on the new span with full shoulders on both sides? I had to set the cruse control on my cousin's Lexus RX450H to 54 to avoid accidentally going over the speed limit.

If you think that is bad, you should see the 35 speed limit on the Margaret Hunt Hill bridge here in Dallas.
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Speed-Across-Hunt-Hill-Bridge-to-be-35-MPH-143326336.html

TheStranger

I clinched it a week after opening on September 9. Looks pretty nice but I wonder why the speed limit is still 50 on the new span with full shoulders on both sides?

I suspect they want the speed limit to be constant across the whole bridge, as the older half west of Treasure Island still has a 50 limit.

In fact, all of 80 from the terminus at the Central Freeway in SF to the MacArthur Maze is signed for that speed.  Once the route transitions to the Eastshore Freeway, I think that's where it opens up to 65.
Chris Sampang

kkt

I think San Francisco has a maximum speed limit of 50.  Even in the rare places where geometric design would allow higher speeds, higher speeds invite panic stops at congested areas.

TheStranger

Quote from: kkt on November 01, 2013, 12:42:43 PM
I think San Francisco has a maximum speed limit of 50.  Even in the rare places where geometric design would allow higher speeds, higher speeds invite panic stops at congested areas.

280 has a 65 limit, presumably as it is the widest of the freeways in San Francisco (especially the 1960s-1970s extension section to the ballpark).
Chris Sampang

NE2

Huh? You set the cruise control to 54 to avoid going over 50?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

apjung

Quote from: NE2 on November 02, 2013, 02:46:01 PM
Quote from: apjung link=topic=8865.msg25cruise control set at 8#msg256988 date=1383303556
Huh? You set the cruise control to 54 to avoid going over 50?

C'mon, if I set it at 50, just about everybody would be passing me up. People are already passing me up with the cruise control set at 54. I have yet to be pulled over going 4-6 miles over the speed limit.

kkt

Quote from: TheStranger on November 01, 2013, 01:08:18 PM

280 has a 65 limit, presumably as it is the widest of the freeways in San Francisco (especially the 1960s-1970s extension section to the ballpark).

Really?  I thought it dropped at the city limits northbound, about where 19th Ave. splits off.  I guess I could be wrong or outdated, though, I haven't been on it in a few years.

myosh_tino

Quote from: kkt on November 04, 2013, 02:12:12 PM

Really?  I thought it dropped at the city limits northbound, about where 19th Ave. splits off.  I guess I could be wrong or outdated, though, I haven't been on it in a few years.

I-280 is 65 MPH south of US 101...

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.734287,-122.410745&spn=0.000841,0.000862&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=37.734236,-122.410845&panoid=_EFK4oK5d81tiM-UfNWd3A&cbp=12,243.98,,1,0.21

Actually, it looks like I-280 is 65 MPH all of the way to King Street where the freeway ends...

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.759468,-122.39248&spn=0.004792,0.006899&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=37.759382,-122.392473&panoid=2FqPbpOJpPO1gz6UOhbHrw&cbp=12,195.43,,1,0.03
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kkt

Quote from: myosh_tino on November 04, 2013, 02:29:40 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 04, 2013, 02:12:12 PM
I-280 is 65 MPH south of US 101...

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.734287,-122.410745&spn=0.000841,0.000862&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=37.734236,-122.410845&panoid=_EFK4oK5d81tiM-UfNWd3A&cbp=12,243.98,,1,0.21

Actually, it looks like I-280 is 65 MPH all of the way to King Street where the freeway ends...

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.759468,-122.39248&spn=0.004792,0.006899&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=37.759382,-122.392473&panoid=2FqPbpOJpPO1gz6UOhbHrw&cbp=12,195.43,,1,0.03

Okay, thanks for the links.

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

Demolition crews start chipping away at old Bay Bridge
QuoteThe beginning of the end arrived Tuesday for the recently retired east span of the Bay Bridge, which will slowly disappear from its place of prominence over the next three years.

Demolition crews, who had been preparing the 77-year-old bridge for its departure since its shiny new replacement arrived in September, began ripping out the upper road deck of the cantilever section as light rain yielded to sunshine Tuesday morning. The day, incidentally, was the anniversary of the bridge's opening.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

Jardine

Is it because I am getting old (pushing 60) that I am not enamored of the looks of the new span ?

To me, there is something of a, for lack of a better word, kludge factor in the lack of proportion, or grace, or something in how it looks.

Even I find this odd, I was a big fan of Ruck-a-Chucky, and was disappointed it was never built.  I don't it is that it is cable stayed, Tampa, and that one in France are stunning to look at.

I just find myself grimacing and wincing when I look at it. 

And this is something I need to keep secret, I am related to some management types at Peter Kiewit, and I know they are proud of their involvement in the project.

:hmmm:

ZLoth

From SF Gate:

Bay Bridge's new problem: leaks
QuoteThe just-opened eastern span of the Bay Bridge, already beset by questions about flawed welds and cracked steel rods, has a new problem: It leaks.

Rainwater is dripping into the steel structure beneath the road deck on the suspension stretch of the span, which is supposed to be watertight, Caltrans said. Outside experts say that could pose a risk of corrosion on a bridge that cost $6.4 billion and is supposed to last well into the 22nd century.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

pctech

Designed to last until the 22nd century....I would count on it.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Jardine on November 16, 2013, 01:07:21 PM
Is it because I am getting old (pushing 60) that I am not enamored of the looks of the new span ?

To me, there is something of a, for lack of a better word, kludge factor in the lack of proportion, or grace, or something in how it looks.

Even I find this odd, I was a big fan of Ruck-a-Chucky, and was disappointed it was never built.  I don't it is that it is cable stayed, Tampa, and that one in France are stunning to look at.

I just find myself grimacing and wincing when I look at it. 

And this is something I need to keep secret, I am related to some management types at Peter Kiewit, and I know they are proud of their involvement in the project.

:hmmm:

But it's not a cable stay bridge...  at all.
Take the road less traveled.

bing101

Quote from: pctech on February 10, 2014, 09:20:16 AM
Designed to last until the 22nd century....I would count on it.

22nd century? What evidence is it based on? Geez we need to wait for the next quake to find out now that leaks are mentioned.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.