Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Illinois interesting bid annoucements

<< < (28/35) > >>

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: inkyatari on February 04, 2019, 12:54:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: edwaleni on February 04, 2019, 11:34:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: Crash_It on February 04, 2019, 01:59:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: inkyatari on February 03, 2019, 10:04:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Revive 755 on February 01, 2019, 07:58:32 PM ---Listing of projects for the March 8, 2019 Letting is up.

Highlights

* Item 25:  Deck replacement for the bridges on I-55 over the BNSF Railroad and Grant creek south of the Arsenal Road interchange

--- End quote ---

Only 20 years too late

--- End quote ---

Better than not at all.

--- End quote ---

Finally got around to it. 

Hoping that "deck replacement" means a new bridge, new pylons and wider shoulders and having both the NB and SB lanes done at the same time.  There is room between the existing structures to build this.  Then demolish the old structure.

This will keep backups from occurring in both directions.

If IDOT uses the cheap method, they will reroute all the traffic from one side to one lane on the other side until one bridge is done, then repeat the exercise on the other.

--- End quote ---
They built the crossovers this last summer....

--- End quote ---

Yuck. Lots of backups predicted on I-55 this summer, especially on Sunday afternoons. What a mess.

ilpt4u:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on February 04, 2019, 11:45:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: Revive 755 on February 01, 2019, 07:58:32 PM ---Listing of projects for the March 8, 2019 Letting is up.

Highlights

* Item 25:  Deck replacement for the bridges on I-55 over the BNSF Railroad and Grant creek south of the Arsenal Road interchange

--- End quote ---

Only 20 years too late

--- End quote ---

Better than not at all.

--- End quote ---

Hoping that "deck replacement" means a new bridge, new pylons and wider shoulders and having both the NB and SB lanes done at the same time.  There is room between the existing structures to build this.  Then demolish the old structure.

If IDOT uses the cheap method, they will reroute all the traffic from one side to one lane on the other side until one bridge is done, then repeat the exercise on the other.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Yuck. Lots of backups predicted on I-55 this summer, especially on Sunday afternoons. What a mess.

--- End quote ---
I-57 to I-72 (Springfield) or I-70 (St Louis or SE MO north of Sikeston)

I-80 to I-39 (Bloomington/Normal)

The signed IL 110 Route for Kansas City (or sub in I-80 for I-88 to get to Western IL and I-74)

If the backups are bad, there are freeway alternates not too far out of the way

paulthemapguy:

Highlights

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Bridge work?  Without closing a lane??  WHAT!??

The crazy amount of truck traffic will make the slowdown through this area very grueling.  All of them are trying to get to that Arsenal Road interchange.  Good luck to anyone trying to come in from the south, or leave to the south out of the intermodal freight facilities.  The only other legal entrance/exit is through Laraway Road to IL-53 to I-80...so I anticipate that area to get an increase in traffic as that bottleneck lies on I-55.  I wonder if passenger cars will try to use W Frontage Road/Blodgett/River Road sneaking through the Des Plaines Fish & Wildlife area.

Brandon:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 05, 2019, 01:14:36 PM ---

Highlights

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Bridge work?  Without closing a lane??  WHAT!??

The crazy amount of truck traffic will make the slowdown through this area very grueling.  All of them are trying to get to that Arsenal Road interchange.  Good luck to anyone trying to come in from the south, or leave to the south out of the intermodal freight facilities.  The only other legal entrance/exit is through Laraway Road to IL-53 to I-80...so I anticipate that area to get an increase in traffic as that bottleneck lies on I-55.  I wonder if passenger cars will try to use W Frontage Road/Blodgett/River Road sneaking through the Des Plaines Fish & Wildlife area.

--- End quote ---

IDOT, if they're smart (big if here), should post two alternates for I-55:
1. IL-47 to I-80
2. IL-53

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: ilpt4u on February 05, 2019, 12:34:58 AM ---
--- Quote from: edwaleni on February 04, 2019, 11:45:34 PM ---

Highlights

--- End quote ---

Only 20 years too late

--- End quote ---

Better than not at all.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I-57 to I-72 (Springfield) or I-70 (St Louis or SE MO north of Sikeston)

I-80 to I-39 (Bloomington/Normal)

The signed IL 110 Route for Kansas City (or sub in I-80 for I-88 to get to Western IL and I-74)

If the backups are bad, there are freeway alternates not too far out of the way

--- End quote ---

The biggest issue is the backup of trucks going into the single lane as it is uphill going north.  For a redeck, IDOT will push that single lane to the limit to get things to fit.

I will probably go up I-39 at Bloomington and bypass the madness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version