A cross-peninsula highway between U.S. 19 at Weeki Wachee and U.S. 1 at Titusville, Florida 50 links the Orlando area with Brooksville, Clermont, and the Space Coast. Florida 50 along Colonial Drive constitutes the main east-west arterial through Orlando, as is the state road along Cortez Boulevard through Hernando County and Brooksville.
Florida 50 Highway Guides
- Florida 50 East - Hernando County
- Florida 50 East - Sumter / Lake Counties
- Florida 50 East - Orange County - West Colonial Drive
- Florida 50 East - Orange County - East Colonial Drive
- Florida 50 East - Brevard County
- Florida 50 West - Orange County - East Colonial Drive
- Florida 50 West - Orange County - West Colonial Drive
- Florida 50 West - Lake County
- Florida 50 West - Hernando County
With the exception of SR 50 between U.S. 98 at Ridge Manor and Groveland, all of the 114 route carries at least four overall lanes. Within Hernando County, A $3 million project anticipated for 2019 will four-lane the state road east from U.S. 98 to U.S. 301. Additional work in 2019 will expand Cortez Boulevard to six overall lanes from Windmere Road east to U.S. 98 (McKethan Road).
Those projects follow previous expansion along SR 50 between U.S. 19 and SR 589 (Suncoast Parkway). Costing $58 million, the six-lane project ran from October 2012 to October 2015.1 Widening of I-75 from Cortez Boulevard north to the Sumter County line includes adding a lane along a 0.4-mile segment of U.S. 98 & SR 50 through the exchange with Interstate 75. The $95 million project through fall 2019 also upgrades the diamond interchange with Cortez Boulevard into a single point urban interchange (SPUI).2 Future work will add a flyover from the freeway north to SR 50 west.
Other portions of SR 50 (Cortez Boulevard) across Hernando County will be six-laned. Those include from SR 589 east to SR 50A, and the south bypass of Brooksville. Long range plans call for adding capacity to SR 50 east from U.S. 98 to SR 471 as well.
Through the Orlando area, several projects rebuilt SR 50 in Orange County from rural four lane standards to a six lane urban arterial. This included stretches in Ocoee, Pine Hills and Union Park. Further east beyond SR 408 (East-West Expressway) and through Bithlo to SR 520, the Colonial Parkway PD&E Study studies upgrading SR 50 with potential limited access toll lanes.
Florida 50A acts as a business loop for Florida 50 through the city of Brooksville in Hernando County. The state road overlaps with portions of U.S. 41 and U.S. 98 through Downtown.
|Florida 50 scenes|
|A trumpet interchange and access road links SR 50 (West Colonial Drive) with Florida's Turnpike in Ocoee. Photos taken 12/05/10.|
|North Apopka-Vineland Road southbound at Florida 50 (West Colonial Drive) near Pine Hills and Orlo Vista. Florida 50 comprises a busy commercial arterial through this stretch with six overall lanes. Additionally the state road carries traffic westward to Good Homes Road for Florida 408 and the connection to South Apopka-Vineland Road. Photo taken 11/05/06.|
- "Motorists, rejoice! End is near for Cortez widening project in Hernando." Tampa Bay Times (FL), August 20, 2015.
- I-75 Widening from south of US 98/SR 50 (Cortez Blvd.) to Sumter County 411011-4-52-01. Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), project web site.
- 11/05/06 by AARoads and Justin Cozart. 12/05/10 by AARoads.
Spessard Lindsay Holland East-West Expressway
Florida 417 - Central Florida GreeneWay / Seminole Expressway
Florida 429 - Western Beltway / Apopka Expwy / Wekiva Pkwy
Page Updated 04-06-2018.