Interstate 195 links downtown Providence with Seekonk and Fall River, Massachusetts. The freeway initially received the designation Interstate 95E in 1957, before receiving the I-195 numbering in 1959. Work opened the majority of the freeway into Massachusetts by 1960, yet the interchange with Interstate 95 was not completed until 1964 and the portion along Fox Point Boulevard through India Point Park until 1968. The freeway utilized the 1932-built eastbound Washington Bridge and 1968-built westbound Washington Bridge over the Seekonk River.1
Interstate 195 Rhode Island Guides
- East Providence Expressway (I-195 and US 6), BostonRoads.com.
- RIDOT 195 Relocation Animations (
- 195 Relocation: Background (
http://www.providence.edu/polisci/students/indiapointpark/195background.html), Current Issues Facing India Point Park ( http://www.providence.edu/polisci/students/indiapointpark/index.html).
- Iway @ Wikipedia.org.
- "Washington Bridge work to begin." Providence Journal, July 29, 2001.
- "Traffic heading east on Route 195 to cross new bridge." Providence Journal, September 7, 2006.
- "Ceremony this morning for new Iway ramp to Route 195." Providence Journal, December 5, 2008.
- "Transportation - Beginning of end for old Route 195." Providence Journal, November 16, 2010.
- "Work on 195 demolition to affect Providence weekend traffic." Providence Journal, June 16, 2011.
Page Updated 02-26-2015.