Interstate 610 forms the inner loop around Houston. The beltway was originally designated as Loop 137, which was directly replaced by IH 610.
Interstate 610 was progressively reconstructed through the mid-2000s, with work occurring on the heavily trafficked West Loop. The West Loop reconstruction project ran in tandem with rebuilding of the IH 10 / IH 610 west interchange to 2007.
Interstate 610 Texas Guides
Plans for Loop 610 date back to 1931, but construction did not begin in earnest until after World War II on the north side of the city. With the advent of the Interstate Highway System, Loop 137 was extended around the west and south sides of the city in 1955, but not the east side.
|Turning Basin Drive at the southbound entrance ramp to IH 610 (East Loop). This assembly was replaced by 2011, and again by 2015. 10/22/03|
|Removed shields for IH 610 on Turning Basin Drive south. 10/22/03|
|IH 610 trailblazer formerly posted at the entrance ramp from Turning Basin Drive to the East Loop. 10/22/03|
- Houston Freeways by Erik Slotbloom, 2003. Pages 275-293.
10/22/03 by AARoads
Page Updated 08-01-2019.