U.S. 54 originates in El Paso from the Loop 375 freeway southeast of Downtown. The 20-mile section through El Paso County connects IH 10 with Fort Bliss, Northeast El Paso and Chaparral, New Mexico. The majority of the route follows the Patriot Freeway, a limited access highway north to Sean Haggerty Drive. Northeast from there, U.S. 54 shifts to a pair of frontage roads along a wide right of way reserved for an eventual extension of the freeway to the state line.
The bulk of U.S. 54's 111.72 miles in Texas angle across the northern Panhandle. Re-entering the Lone Star State from Nara Visa, New Mexico, U.S. 54 ventures northeast across open ranch and agricultural land through Hartley County to Dalhart. Within Dalhart, U.S. 54 meets U.S. 87 and 385. Northeast of the Dallam County seat, U.S. 54 resumes along a rural route to Straford, where it intersects U.S. 287, and Texhoma on the Oklahoma state line.
US 54 Highway Guides
U.S. 54 was originally designated as U.S. 70, and changed to U.S. 54 in the 1939 redesignation of the State Highway system. U.S. 54 was added to the 1963 El Paso freeway plan, with construction beginning in the early 1970s.
The freeway opened between IH 10 and Trowbridge Drive in 1973, and was extended north to Tompkins Road by 1974. The freeway was lengthened northward to Loop 375, and completed between IH 110 and Loop 375 to the south in 1976.
The frontage roads on the U.S. 54 freeway alignment between the north interchange with Loop 375 and U.S. 54 Business in Newman were completed in 1992, with the freeway main line finished to Sean Haggerty Drive in 2004.
Exits along the Patriot Freeway were renumbered in early 2006.
Page Updated 01-27-2018.