U.S. 191 Arizona Guides
U.S. 191 was established in 1932 as U.S. 666 from U.S. 80 near Douglas, north through Willcox and Safford to Springerville, then north to Sanders and U.S. 66, where the road traveled east into New Mexico as a multiplex. The road was paved slowly, and the Coronado Trail section between Clifton and Alpine was not completely paved until 1963.
Former U.S. 666 was extended south from Douglas to the Mexican Border in 1961, but was truncated back to U.S. 80 in 1971. In 1971, the remaining short section to the Border was renumbered to Business U.S. 666, and changed to Business U.S. 191 in 1992.
U.S. 191 is a scenic road between Clifton and Alpine, but one to be taken slowly. Some observers have counted over 400 curves along the 90 miles of road between the two, most of which must be taken at 25 MPH or less.
The section of U.S. 191 north of Clifton was rerouted in 1974 due to growth at the Morenci mine. It is still known as a Temporary route, with plans to further realign it due to the growth of the Morenci open-pit mine. In 1968, Arizona DOT started work on a realignment of the road, but abandoned it after only a few miles due to terrain and financial issues. Arizona DOT still wants to realign the road north of Clifton past the Morenci mine, but it remains to be seen whether it happens without financial assistance from Freeport McMoran.
U.S. 191 in Arizona only travels between Arizona 80 at Douglas and U.S. 160 at Mexican Hat. From U.S. 160 north into Utah, the five miles of highway are designated Indian Route 12 and maintained by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. No U.S. 191 signposts are found along this road southbound from Utah to U.S. 160.