News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Things smartphones have replaced

Started by bugo, January 01, 2015, 10:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Digital cameras
Camcorders
Calculators
Alarm clocks
Instant messengers
Telephones
Thermometers (to an extent)
Maps (to an extent)
Cassette/CD players/MP3 players
Voice recorders
ATMs (to an extent)
Calenders, PDAs
Photo albums
Newspapers
Dictionaries/thesauruses
Encyclopedias
Books in general (to an extent)
Radios
The Weather Channel
Standalone GS units
Flashlight (limited)
Scanner (limited)
Police scanner
Video game system (limited at this time)
TV
Kitchen timer
Phone book
Pager
Brick and mortar stores (Amazon, ebay, other online retailers)
Personal computers (to an extent. Smartphones ARE computers, but they can't do everything a PC can do...yet)

What else can the smartphone do that made older devices obsolete/redundant?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

jeffandnicole

I'd say everything on that list is limited or to an extent. There are some useful things, such as a flashlight or calculator that I don't normally carry around.  But I still have an alarm clock. Hell, got a new one at Christmas! I don't want to click my phone everytime I want to see what time it is.

A smartphone is a phone.  I don't think it replaced itself.

hotdogPi

A smartphone is a combination of everything that electronics can do (which includes most things on the list). Tablets, laptops, and desktops are basically the same thing but bigger, although you cannot call people (other ways of contacting people are still possible).

Even though an electronic device that's 4 years old (like the laptop that I'm using to type this right now) may be considered outdated or obsolete, it still has its uses.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Alex

Truvelo

The obvious one is missing from the OP's list - the humble wristwatch. I haven't worn a watch since buying my first monochrome screened dumbphone around 15 years ago. In fact almost everyone I know doesn't wear a watch any more. I'm surprised watch manufacturers are still in business.
Speed limits limit life

SignGeek101

Portable gaming devices to an extent.

bugo

Quote from: Truvelo on January 01, 2015, 12:09:03 PM
The obvious one is missing from the OP's list - the humble wristwatch. I haven't worn a watch since buying my first monochrome screened dumbphone around 15 years ago. In fact almost everyone I know doesn't wear a watch any more. I'm surprised watch manufacturers are still in business.

I didn't mention a watch because you have to pull your phone out of your pocket or wherever you keep it and turn the screen on to see the time. With a wristwatch, you simply have to look at your arm. I carry my phone with me but I wear a watch as well.

Pete from Boston

Mystery.  Remember not knowing things?

bugo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 01, 2015, 01:09:10 PM

I believe information and knowledge are wonderful things.

The Nature Boy

Oh trust me, my Facebook feed tells me that there are still a lot of people who don't know things.

Tom958

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 01, 2015, 01:36:10 PM

Oh trust me, my Facebook feed tells me that there are still a lot of people who don't know things.

Perhaps to bolster both of our points, I have often said that one of the things that keeps me away from Facebook is that it keeps me from knowing more than I should about my friends.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 01, 2015, 05:41:47 PM

Perhaps to bolster both of our points, I have often said that one of the things that keeps me away from Facebook is that it keeps me from knowing more than I should about my friends.

As a tool for future historians and cultural anthropologists though, Facebook is going to be priceless. Could you imagine if we had access to a Facebook of the 1800s? 

GaryV

Watches are making a comeback.  Two of my kids who never wore watches now have them.  Probably for the reason already cited, that it's always there and always on.

Also, an interesting experiment.  Immediately after you see someone look at his or her wristwatch, ask what time it is.  Most people have to look again.  That's because telling the time is "digital" and looking at a watch is "analog".  You see Mickey's hands at 10 and 2 and you "know what time it is", but you don't compute 1:50.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 01, 2015, 05:58:16 PM

As a tool for future historians and cultural anthropologists though, Facebook is going to be priceless. Could you imagine if we had access to a Facebook of the 1800s?

"Jenkins, look!  Kathy posted a third time about these 'Express Lanes' and something called a 'dink' with too many of some kind of item.  What could it all mean?"

Does archive.org capture Facebook?  Quite a lot of the information on the internet is fleeting and vanishes. 

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Pete from Boston on January 01, 2015, 06:22:55 PM

"Jenkins, look!  Kathy posted a third time about these 'Express Lanes' and something called a 'dink' with too many of some kind of item.  What could it all mean?"

Does archive.org capture Facebook?  Quite a lot of the information on the internet is fleeting and vanishes.

Maybe, but I assume Facebook itself keeps an archive of everything locked away somewhere. Long AFTER our deaths, I assume that that archive will be utilized by academic institutions to research the cultural norms of today and our reactions to major world events. Of course, future generations may also come away with the impression that we were all colossal morons.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on January 01, 2015, 01:05:11 PM

I didn't mention a watch because you have to pull your phone out of your pocket or wherever you keep it and turn the screen on to see the time. With a wristwatch, you simply have to look at your arm. I carry my phone with me but I wear a watch as well.

My work uniform does not have any pockets (and it is against policy for employees handling cash to wear pants with pockets) so a watch is still necessary.

Even with no practical purpose a watch can still function as a fashion accessory, like a necktie (which has no other purpose anymore).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

I've worn a watch since I was a kid, and I feel naked without one. The only time I take it off is when I shower.

As for digital cameras, my phone's camera works OK in a pinch, but it's no substitute for a good camera with a zoom lens, adjustable features such as ISO/ASA, aperture and shutter speed, and other functions.

And the Internet-enabled functions are nice, but I prefer a computer to a smartphone for most everything.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on January 01, 2015, 08:29:06 PM
I've worn a watch since I was a kid, and I feel naked without one. The only time I take it off is when I shower.

As for digital cameras, my phone's camera works OK in a pinch, but it's no substitute for a good camera with a zoom lens, adjustable features such as ISO/ASA, aperture and shutter speed, and other functions.

And the Internet-enabled functions are nice, but I prefer a computer to a smartphone for most everything.

I once saw a comment that when a boy wants to know the time, he looks at his phone, whereas a man looks at his watch.

Totally agree with you about cameras. At the Winter Classic today I had both my iPhone and my DSLR. The DSLR was substantially better in just about every way, not least because the iPhone pictures were too digitized and jaggy-looking if I zoomed in a lot.

Some smartphone features are great to have, though. Mobile check deposit is extremely convenient.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

The Nature Boy

Watches are also useful in professional environments. If I'm at work, it might be seen as unprofessional to pull out my phone. I can easily glance at my watch and get the time though.

kkt

What makes you think Facebook is going to be around for hundreds of years?

SSOWorld

Quote from: bugo on January 01, 2015, 01:05:11 PM

You have to pull this out of your pocket.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.