News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

San Francisco, L.A., Boston and Washington DC will bid for the 2024 Summer Games

Started by bing101, December 17, 2014, 11:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: jbnv on August 08, 2016, 05:57:04 PM
"I think for some of the IOC members they would say, 'Wait a second, can we go to a country like that, where we've heard things that we take offense to?'" Garcetti said.

Thankfully we tailor neither our speech nor our votes with the aim of not offending the IOC.

Have they been listening to the other countries they let hold the Olympics, like Russia?

Desert Man

If I were an IOC official, I mostly like vote for L.A. to host the 2024-XXXIII summer olympics. Here's my list of future summer olympics from my "crystal ball" (what if they were held every 2 years in even-number years instead?)

2032-XXXV Cape Town (South Africa), 2034-XXXVI Toronto (Canada), 2036-XXXVII Istanbul (Turkey), 2038-XXXVIII Detroit, MI (USA), 2040-XXXIX Rome (Italy), 2042-XXXL St. Petersburg (Russia), 2044-XLI Berlin (Germany), 2046-XLII New Delhi (India), 2048-XLIII New York City (USA), and 2050-XLIV-pan-global, opening and closing in Athens (Greece).

And for the winter olympics sites (and going by every 2 years in my version).

2026-XXV Denver, CO (USA), 2030-XXVI Santiago (Chile), 2032-XXVII Annecy (France), 2034-XXVIII Almaty (Kazakhstan), 2036-XXIX Wellington (New Zealand), 2038-XXX Munich (Germany), 2040-XXXI Quebec City (Canada), 2042-XXXII Ostersund (Sweden), 2044-XXXIII Baku (Azerbaijan), 2046-XXXIV San Bernardino/Big Bear, CA (US), 2048-XXXV Sarajevo (Bosnia-Herzegovina) and 2050-XXXVI pan-global, opening and closing in Lausanne, Switzerland or Lake Placid, NY (USA).

I'm saying olympic bid cities and applicants are getting very desperate to ever host one, despite less cities are considering hosting a summer or winter olympic games, and the higher number of countries participate, as well more olympian athletes taking part in the many sports events.

In olympic records, the IOC doesn't recognize the 1906 Intercalculated Games in Athens, Greece, marking the decade anniversary of the very first modern summer olympics held there earlier. And the non-IOC 1986(?) Friendship games held ceremonies each in Moscow and Paris, and all the events in 6 out of 8 eastern bloc countries, when the US and Soviet olympic teams agreed to compete after their previous boycotts: the US and France didn't participate in 1980-XXII Moscow and the USSR and East Germans did the same in 1984-XXXIII Los Angeles.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

jbnv

Quote from: Desert Man on August 20, 2016, 09:02:22 AM
If I were an IOC official, I mostly like vote for L.A. to host the 2024-XXXIII summer olympics. Here's my list of future summer olympics from my "crystal ball" (what if they were held every 2 years in even-number years instead?)

... 2048-XLIII New York City (USA) ...

My "crystal ball" says this games will officially take place in Hammond, Louisiana.

Following major hurricanes and floods in 2005, 2016, 2022, and 2034, most residents and businesses in New Orleans and suburban Baton Rouge have relocated to the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain. During the recovery of the 2030s, the state of Louisiana submits the first state-wide bid to host a Summer Olympic Games. Under the leadership of Louisiana 2048 chairman Bobby Jindal, the state wins the bid, hosting games in venues throughout south Louisiana. Commentators question the viability of water events in bayous and lakes, but quickly note those those venues are no worse than the water venues in Rio in 2016.

(Hey, it's every bit as plausible as the every-two-years plan.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Desert Man

Quote from: jbnv on August 20, 2016, 10:57:13 AM
Quote from: Desert Man on August 20, 2016, 09:02:22 AM

... 2048-XLIII New York City (USA) ...

My "crystal ball" says this games will officially take place in Hammond, Louisiana.

Following major hurricanes and floods in 2005, 2016, 2022, and 2034, most residents and businesses in New Orleans and suburban Baton Rouge have relocated to the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain. During the recovery of the 2030s, the state of Louisiana submits the first state-wide bid to host a Summer Olympic Games. Under the leadership of Louisiana 2048 chairman Bobby Jindal, the state wins the bid, hosting games in venues throughout south Louisiana. Commentators question the viability of water events in bayous and lakes, but quickly note those those venues are no worse than the water venues in Rio in 2016.

(Hey, it's every bit as plausible as the every-two-years plan.)

That's good, jbnv...the resurrection of New Orleans after the sea level rise is an inspiration to the world. The southern US had Atlanta 1996, the western US had L.A. 1932 and 1984, and St. Louis 1904 with some olympic sports events in Chicago. There never has been a summer olympics in the eastern seaboard like NYC. The 2024 summer olympic events should spread out in CA, have a few of them in San Diego, San Francisco and Sacramento.

I seriously doubt the IOC will ever grant the summer olympics to Tehran, Iran or Qatar/Bahrain, due to the regimes' human rights records and the possible treatment of female olympian athletes not experienced in most of the world. The summer heat in these desert countries will be another issue, the summer games in places like Iran or Qatar must be held in later months (Nov or Dec) when temps are comfortable.

And Iceland and Anchorage, Alaska (US) are thought to be "too small" or not as much populated regions to host a winter olympics. There never has been a winter olympics south of the equator, where the seasons will be reversed. Chile/Argentina and New Zealand have or can develop modern winter sports facilities and ski resorts.   
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

english si

Going back to the land of reality: LA needs some realistic expectations and note that this should be seen as a test run for 2028. There's almost no way Paris isn't going to get 2024 - its long overdue a second games (40 years for LA is the edge of 'still too recent' whereas Paris' last games would have been 100 years before), it was a good bid for 2012 and they have improved on that as well as learning the ropes on how to turn that into a winning bid.

kkt

Quote from: Desert Man on August 20, 2016, 03:07:16 PM
I seriously doubt the IOC will ever grant the summer olympics to Tehran, Iran or Qatar/Bahrain, due to the regimes' human rights records and the possible treatment of female olympian athletes not experienced in most of the world.

I don't think the IOC gives a damn about human rights records.  Germany, 1936.  Italy, planned for 1944.  USSR, 1980.  China, 2008.  Russia, 2014.

MisterSG1

Los Angeles saved the Olympics in 1984, looks like they may just do it again many years later.....I think you guys know how I feel about the Olympics and I will write a lengthy post about them (if you want to listen) as it is a topic of interest of mine.

Let's just say that I was a member of a NoTO2024.

Desert Man

Quote from: english si on August 20, 2016, 06:57:48 PM
Going back to the land of reality: LA needs some realistic expectations and note that this should be seen as a test run for 2028. There's almost no way Paris isn't going to get 2024 - its long overdue a second games (40 years for LA is the edge of 'still too recent' whereas Paris' last games would have been 100 years before), it was a good bid for 2012 and they have improved on that as well as learning the ropes on how to turn that into a winning bid.

If the IOC gives Paris the nod for 2024, partly due to global condolences in Paris and France's recent terror attacks, I'm still for it, Paris is much a global city like London, Tokyo and L.A. (why not NYC still?) Tokyo was awarded the 2020 summer olympics from the country's increased attention after Sendai, Japan's massive 2011 earthquake, tsunami and related nuclear accident in Fukushima-Daiichi.

Quote from: kkt on August 20, 2016, 09:10:57 PM
Quote from: Desert Man on August 20, 2016, 03:07:16 PM
I seriously doubt the IOC will ever grant the summer olympics to Tehran, Iran or Qatar/Bahrain, due to the regimes' human rights records and the possible treatment of female olympian athletes not experienced in most of the world.

I don't think the IOC gives a damn about human rights records.  Germany, 1936.  Italy, planned for 1944.  USSR, 1980.  China, 2008.  Russia, 2014.

Tokyo, Japan originally awarded the 1940 summer olympics, but the Japanese Imperial military regime didn't like the olympics' themes of peace, world unity and "western" values, so the IOC relocated them to Helsinki, Finland, then was cancelled due to the outbreak of WW2. Which means London, Athens and Tokyo had "3" summer olympics in their cities history, but the IOC recognizes only London's events.

Desert Man

In the history of the Pan-American games (the Americas' regional olympics), Canada hosted 3 of them (1967 and 1999 in Winnipeg, and Toronto in 2015), 3 in Mexico (Guadalajara in 2011), 2 in the US (Chicago and Indianapolis), one in Puerto Rico, despite being US territory in 1979, Havana, Cuba in 1991 (the US team went there?) and the first ever in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1951. The next Pan-American games is in Lima, Peru (2019), while Buenos Aires is bidding, Los Angeles (2024 IOC summer bidder) seeks the 2023 bid and so does Rio de Janiero (held it in 2007 and 2016 IOC summer olympics host). Note the 1963 Pan-American games were in held in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

And something about Santiago, Chile in the history of intl sports events: The 1975 Pan-American games were relocated to Mexico City (where they held it in 1955) due to political turmoil from a military coup by Augusto Pinochet ousted Salvador Allende made Chile appear incapable of hosting a regional sports event. The 1993 Pan-American winter games were cancelled, which was the second one, only the 1990 events held in nearby Argentina. But, the 1962 FIFA world cup went out to shown the world Chile was able to rebuild from their M9.5 earthquake (the largest magnitude ever recorded in world history).

english si

Quote from: Desert Man on August 25, 2016, 10:37:35 PMIf the IOC gives Paris the nod for 2024, due entirely to being the best bid in several cycles, Paris is much a global city like London, Tokyo and L.A. (why not NYC still?) Tokyo was awarded the 2020 summer olympics from the country's far superior bid than the alternative.
Fixed it for you.

bing101

Rothman

I suppose they wouldn't have bid on the Olympics if they thought they couldn't make up the money.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on September 30, 2016, 10:35:52 AM
I suppose they wouldn't have bid on the Olympics if they thought they couldn't make up the money.

Why?  The local officials who bid on it aren't putting up their own money.

Bruce

Now that LA has bid for the Olympics, I'm wondering where some of the regional events (e.g. soccer) would be played. I'm hoping that a few games get played in Seattle, though it might be too far (Atlanta 96 only went as far as Washington DC for it).

epzik8

I'm about 70 miles northeast of Washington, DC in Harford County, Maryland, but I live in what is considered the Baltimore-Washington region, and anyway I'm a fan of DC sports teams, so I would love to see them get 2024.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Bruce

Quote from: epzik8 on December 25, 2016, 03:40:13 PM
I'm about 70 miles northeast of Washington, DC in Harford County, Maryland, but I live in what is considered the Baltimore-Washington region, and anyway I'm a fan of DC sports teams, so I would love to see them get 2024.

The thread title hasn't been updated, but DC is no longer in the running for the Olympics. Only LA, Budapest, and Paris remain.

The Nature Boy

Why would any major city want to bid on the Olympics? You could argue that 1996 helped boost Atlanta's profile but none of the cities on the 2024 list really needed that boost.

It seems like a huge investment for almost no return.

Buck87

Quote from: Bruce on December 25, 2016, 07:59:59 PM
Only LA, Budapest, and Paris remain.

I've seen that surfing will be an Olympic sport in 2020. Not sure whether it will be continued into 2024, but if it is....it would be interesting to see how they would handle that if Budapest won the games.

Bruce

Quote from: Buck87 on January 01, 2017, 10:00:56 AM
Quote from: Bruce on December 25, 2016, 07:59:59 PM
Only LA, Budapest, and Paris remain.

I've seen that surfing will be an Olympic sport in 2020. Not sure whether it will be continued into 2024, but if it is....it would be interesting to see how they would handle that if Budapest won the games.

Probably at the same location where sailing events will be held. Budapest has Lake Balaton (about 50 miles from the city center) and Paris has the River Seine. Los Angeles will obviously use one of its many beaches, and Santa Monica seems like the most logical choice (good and direct public transport access from the Olympic Village).

english si

Budapest has the mighty Danube, if you think the Seine is surfable...

Of course, none of the sea near Budapest would be any good, whereas Paris can go to the Vendee. Massive wave machine in the lake?

bing101

kkt

Desert Man

IT'S OFFICIAL: the IOC made a deal to bring the 2028 summer olympics to Los Angeles, the 3rd time in the western US city's history (just like in 1984 and 1932), and the 2024 summer olympics goes to Paris, the 3rd time in France's capital (alike 1900 and 1924).

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-2028-olympics-deal-20170731-story.html

Henry

So 32 years will have passed since the Olympics were held on American soil; I can get onboard with that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bing101

Quote from: Henry on August 01, 2017, 10:20:45 AM
So 32 years will have passed since the Olympics were held on American soil; I can get onboard with that.

Don't forget technically its a 26 year gap since the USA had hosted the Olympics. See 2002 Winter Olympics in Utah.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.