News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Where do we need interstates?

Started by Voyager, January 20, 2009, 06:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

oh, what I meant was interstates appearing well out of place with respect to the ordered grid.  74 in NC is nowhere near where I-74 should be, given its number.  I-69 is also similarly wacky, and I-49 in LA doesn't even go the right direction for an odd number. 

the Temp interstates seem to all be in the right place in general. 

I certainly don't remember any signs for them other than that random 15E that survived in Perris until about last year.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Darkchylde

Central Louisiana needs an east-west Interstate corridor badly. Aside from Alexandria, the area's pretty depressed due to the lack of high-capacity roadways.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on January 21, 2009, 01:31:25 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 20, 2009, 10:32:07 PM
I think that building an interstate to replace VA- & NC-168 and US-158 would be a valuable asset to Northeastern North Carolina and Southeastern Virginia. The 4 lanes they are currently is barely enough as it is, even with 5-minute delays on the cross-street stoplights to keep people moving it slows to a crawl for about 100 miles during the summer. Too many people traveling to the Outer Banks from Hampton Roads I guess. I think an interstate would clear it up pretty well as on the northern portion of VA-168, the Chesapeake Expressway, traffic hardly ever backs up. And the highway is already an extension of I-464, so just sign it as such!  :nod:
Probably better to renumber it to I-364 if that happens.

So have 464 turn into 364 when it hits 64? :-\ I think it would make more sense to give the whole route the same number.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

WillWeaverRVA

I meant to renumber the whole thing to 364 since it would no longer be a "loop" route. :P

Or leave it alone and tack it onto that I-50 idea. :spin:
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Chris

Quote from: deanej on January 20, 2009, 07:12:12 PM
Something between I-81 and I-87 in northern NY.  It could even be extended into Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine as a major east-west road (could call it I-98).

I recently read something about it in a New York newspaper. Problem is the traffic volumes are quite low (5,000 between towns), so that doesn't really requires an expressway. It would run from Watertown to Plattsburgh via the US 11 corridor.

deathtopumpkins

Ahh but aren't 3dis supposed to be even-numbered if they interchange with another 3di off of the same 2di too? Current-464's northern terminus is I-264.  ;-)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

FLRoads

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on January 21, 2009, 04:19:37 AM
Ahh but aren't 3dis supposed to be even-numbered if they interchange with another 3di off of the same 2di too? Current-464's northern terminus is I-264.  ;-)

The completion of the Palmetto Parkway around Augusta (I-520) should be done later this year and then we will have an odd numbered 3di that will loop back to its parent. 

deathtopumpkins

hmmm... that's odd. I guess there's a first for everything.

Chris

It's odd that Phoenix has no auxiliary Interstates. (because of state funding of highways or something).

Alex

They had an Interstate 510 proposed at one point. I've seen it signed on an old General Drafting fold map of Arizona.

FLRoads

There was also once a proposal for a I-410 in Phoenix.  It was actually the original number proposed for the current I-10 between the two I-17 interchanges.

Urban Prairie Schooner

A freeway facility along the US 190 corridor between BR and Opelousas would be nice, so that I don't have to constantly play chicken with the local revenuers in Krotz Springs, Livonia, and Port Barre. :-o

Dream on, I guess. The state is only just beginning to improve the road to something resembling late 20th century standards. :banghead:

--

Some TX proposals:

I-14: East-west corridor thru Austin, via US 290 and/or TX 71
I-36: DFW to Amarillo via US 287
I-45 extension: DFW north to Tulsa and Kansas City via US 75 and US 169 generally

Also, I imagine MS would benefit from improvement to their most important intra-state road, US 49 between Jackson and Gulfport.

Voyager

I think that Nevada really needs to extend the 395 freeway between Reno and Carson City.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

Alex

Quote from: voyager on January 21, 2009, 08:17:00 PM
I think that Nevada really needs to extend the 395 freeway between Reno and Carson City.

They are already doing that, it will become Interstate 580 upon completion, thus connecting the capital city to the Interstate system, which is what officials wanted.

Revive 755

* NE 2 between I-29 and I-80:  Currently a well-utilized truck route, it seems like a logical addition to the system as an I-x29.

* Something generally parallel to US 24 between Peoria and Fort Wayne, then along US 30 to I-71; it would provide a much needed route between I-70 and I-80 in addition to being another option for traffic wanting to reach destinations along the I-80 corridor such as Toledo (via I-75) or Cleveland without gambling on delays around Chicago.  It could be a westward extension of the eastern I-76, with another possible extension to Des Moines along US 34 and the Burlington - Des Moines corridor.

* US 27 between I-10 in Tallahassee and I-75 near Chattanooga; provides a western north-south route that avoids Atlanta, as well relief for I-75.  Could be a southern I-71.

Chris

How about an Interstate from Norfolk to Emporia, VA? The Hampton Roads metro is a bit off the beaten path, Interstate-wise...

deathtopumpkins

Suprisingly, I don't think it would see that much use. Whenever I head south I take 58, but can't remember it ever being that busy. I think it suffices in the state it's currently in, and I think that one straight to the south would be better utilized by people heading to resort destinations such as the Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach, and other resort towns farther south. IMHO, turning US-17 into an interstate would be a better option.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on January 21, 2009, 07:57:51 PM
A freeway facility along the US 190 corridor between BR and Opelousas would be nice, so that I don't have to constantly play chicken with the local revenuers in Krotz Springs, Livonia, and Port Barre. :-o

Dream on, I guess. The state is only just beginning to improve the road to something resembling late 20th century standards. :banghead:

--

Only justification I can see for upgrading US 190 to Interstate standards would be as part of a general upgrade of US 190 and LA 12 west to I-10 at Vidor as a relief route....and getting that highway through Opelousas, Eunice, Kinder and DeQuincy would be really tricky....never mind the opposition from said "revenooers" in Port Barre and Livonia.

Widening the I-10 Atchafalaya Spillway freeway to six lanes with grade-seperated "crossovers" would be a better option. Actually, completing I-49 South to New Orleans would not be to bad an alternative, either.

Anthony

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: Anthony_JK on January 22, 2009, 07:28:56 PM
Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on January 21, 2009, 07:57:51 PM

--

Only justification I can see for upgrading US 190 to Interstate standards would be as part of a general upgrade of US 190 and LA 12 west to I-10 at Vidor as a relief route....and getting that highway through Opelousas, Eunice, Kinder and DeQuincy would be really tricky....never mind the opposition from said "revenooers" in Port Barre and Livonia.

Widening the I-10 Atchafalaya Spillway freeway to six lanes with grade-seperated "crossovers" would be a better option. Actually, completing I-49 South to New Orleans would not be to bad an alternative, either.

Anthony

Well, I could settle for expressway standards at a minimum - grade separation of major junctions, et al. The I-10 BR-Lafayette section could really use some relief. I wonder how expanding the Basin bridge to add an additional lane would compare cost-wise with an upgraded US 190.

To that end, I agree that I-49 South is a more important project. Better to deploy our scarce highway dollars where they are most needed...

Scott5114

The two largest cities in Oklahoma that lack interstates are Enid and Stillwater. These could be remedied by commissioning an I-46 to run along the Cimarron Turnpike, and then further west of I-35 to Enid. To serve Stillwater, make the Cimarron Turnpike spur into I-146 and extend it slightly so that it actually runs into town. (Jeremy Lance has proposed this idea before, somewhat.)

Another solution would be to leave the Cimarron alone and simply upgrade the stretch of US 64/412 between Enid and I-35 to Interstate standards, and number it I-735. Then you would upgrade the OK-51 expressway between I-35 and Stillwater to full freeway and call it I-935. The good thing about this is you would then have only I-835 needed to give I-35 a full set of 3dis. :)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bryant5493

There needs to be interstate between Lawrenceville and Athens. Georgia 316 is inadequate. Too much sprawl. Too many traffic lights. Oh, yeah, how about I-385 as its designation.

There should be an interstate that would connect Columbus, Macon and Augusta. The Fall Line Freeway is a good start, but an actual freeway would've been better (IMHO). Maybe I-14 will get built.

Georgia 400 is a freeway between I-85 and Georgia 369, but the freeway section should've gone a little further: at least to about where the North Georgia Premium Outlets is. An interstate designation of I-585 would be good.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

travelinmiles

I think Reno to Las Vegas would be an important link as well as Fort Worth to Denver via Amarillo.

agentsteel53

the US-95 corridor between Reno and Vegas tends to be pretty abandoned in general.  I think it's adequately served with the two-lane road it is now.

jake@aaroads.com

SimMoonXP

Yeah... What about CA-56 corridor from Interstate 5 to Interstate 15. As need HOV add-on in middle of CA-56 fwy, and add the flyover ramps on Interstate 5. Could be numbering as Interstate 515. Several reasons are: same type of tubular signage, same type light poles as I-15. 515 also stands for 5-15 equals to 515. Make sense?

agentsteel53

seems like a good freeway project, but does it need an interstate number? 

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.