Report: Chargers considering rebrand if they move to LA

Started by bing101, December 21, 2016, 10:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Max Rockatansky

So basically we can expect all the Los Angeles puns to pop up?  I vote for the Los Angeles 405ers.

kurumi

Here's a pun:

Modify Chavez Ravine to support football*, as they did in Oakland, and you could call it the Dodge-Charger Stadium

* it's a joke, don't @ me
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on December 21, 2016, 10:47:25 AM
Here's a pun:

Modify Chavez Ravine to support football*, as they did in Oakland, and you could call it the Dodge-Charger Stadium

Better yet put the Rams in there instead and it will be Dodge Ramcharger Stadium...brought to you by Chrysler:

Alex

The Los Angeles Leftovers might be suitable considering thats what the franchise will get from sharing a home with the Lambs franchise.

Henry

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 21, 2016, 11:22:07 AM
Quote from: kurumi on December 21, 2016, 10:47:25 AM
Here's a pun:

Better yet put the Rams in there instead and it will be Dodge Ramcharger Stadium...brought to you by Chrysler:

Now that's a brilliant idea! Because you can see the Chrysler theme there, like you could when it was the Dodgers, Rams and Raiders (for the small Montero-based SUV that was built back then).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

epzik8

Maybe they'll keep the name "Chargers" but change their logo to a phone charger.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

The Nature Boy

nexus73

The Chargers first played in LA (one year) before moving to San Diego, so call them the Los Angeles Chargers...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

SP Cook

Name -  bad idea.  First, finding a reasonable and copyrightable name that some pro or major college team is not using already is close to impossible.   Second, the Chargers' best marketing plan is to try to lure San Diego fans up to its games.   Severing the link with a new name, and probably color scheme, ends that.  BTW, some sources say that "Chargers" is a reference to the then new idea of charge cards, as the original owner owned Diner's Club.

Move - If the SF Bay area and NYC can support two teams, certainly so can LA.  However, unlike those situations, or LA's in baseball and hockey, there does not seem to be a natural way to divide up fans.  While the NY teams have also played in the same stadium for decades, the divide is based on where they used to play.

nexus73

Well, if LA got the pro football team which is their favorite, it would be the Raiders.  Heck, given how in the last Raiders-Chargers game in San Diego looked like The Black Hole II, they're top dog in San Diego County as well.

Move the Rams to Vegas...LOL!

As for the Chargers, it's looking like a "who cares?" kind of franchise.  Maybe Sacramento would support them if a proper stadium was built there.

Rick   
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Alex

The move to Los Angeles is happening for the Chargers: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/chargers/sd-sp-chargers-move-possible-20170111-story.html

Looks like they will be playing in the 30,000 seat MLS stadium for the LA Galaxy in Carson before moving in with the Lambs in 2019.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alex on January 12, 2017, 01:50:11 AM
The move to Los Angeles is happening for the Chargers: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/chargers/sd-sp-chargers-move-possible-20170111-story.html

Looks like they will be playing in the 30,000 seat MLS stadium for the LA Galaxy in Carson before moving in with the Lambs in 2019.

So the move is to go to a stadium with less than 30k seating capacity for two years?....since they feel that they need a new stadium?   :-D

SP Cook

An odd choice.  They will need a waiver of the NFL-AFL merger agreement which required all teams to play in 50K stadiums.  This seems to cement them, like the Jets, as the "second team" in the market, perhaps for a long time after this temporary deal is done. 

I understand not wanting to play in San Diego for 2 years as a lame duck, but there are other options.   Even post renovations, Anaheim Stadium can have a football field wedged in, as could Dodger Stadium, although neither baseball team would be happy about it and probably have it in their leases.  Since current NFL schedule policy would not have both teams playing at the same time, the LA Coliseum is there, although 3 teams (USC) on a grass field is hard.  Then there is the Rose Bowl. 

My guess is that this is like a strike.  They will go up to LA for two years with the implication that if SD want to screw over the taxpayers for a new stadium they will come back, and if not they will sign a long term lease with the Rams' new place.

Henry

So the Chargers are following the Clippers to L.A.? Interesting. And this will probably add fuel to the Dodgers-Padres rivalry as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Buck87

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

triplemultiplex

Fuck it, let's just move every team to Los Angeles while were at it.  Build like 9 stadiums all right next to each other with a thousand acres of parking lots and have the entire goddamn league in one dystopian football metropolis.

I am so glad 'my' team will never ever move.  The league will fold before the Packers call some other place home.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Scott5114

I'm not a sports fan, so I may be misinformed, but what the hell is the point? I remember seeing things off and on this past season that made the Rams' decision to relocation seem questionable. Now there's a second team joining them? Where's the ROI?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 12, 2017, 09:54:41 PM
I'm not a sports fan, so I may be misinformed, but what the hell is the point? I remember seeing things off and on this past season that made the Rams' decision to relocation seem questionable. Now there's a second team joining them? Where's the ROI?

From what I can tell, this was a  game of chicken with San Diego to get a better stadium that failed for both parties. San Diego rightfully didn't want to cough up massive amounts of taxpayer money to fund a new stadium, and the Chargers weren't going to continue playing in Qualcomm.

The Chargers called San Diego's bluff and had to move to Los Angeles just to not look like they were giving in and staying at Qualcomm. With a stadium deal in LA and the fact that LA isn't THAT far from San Diego, this is where the chips fell.

The Chargers suck - even in a 30,000 seat stadium, they still won't sell out.

cl94

In all honestly, the Chargers moving to Los Angeles makes more sense than the Rams moving. Qualcomm is a s**thole that is one of the oldest stadiums in the league, about the same age as Oakland and almost as bad. It has received no major renovations since it opened in 1967 and it's a cookie-cutter stadium.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 12, 2017, 09:54:41 PM

Everyone seems to think that since Los Angeles is a big market that it will somehow return bigger yields.  That may be true in other sports like Baseball, but in the NFL really it all comes down to putting a quality team on the field.  The TV revenue is shared, so really the only thing that matters with ticket sales probably is how many luxury boxes you can sell to corporations or people with a lot of disposable income.  Really the TV revenue probably is the main contributor why it doesn't really matter being in a 27,000 seat stadium for two years. 

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 12, 2017, 09:50:36 PM
Fuck it, let's just move every team to Los Angeles while were at it.  Build like 9 stadiums all right next to each other with a thousand acres of parking lots and have the entire goddamn league in one dystopian football metropolis.

I am so glad 'my' team will never ever move.  The league will fold before the Packers call some other place home.

That probably has more to do with how the ownership of the team is set up through the city of Green Bay.  When the Packers were terrible in the 1980s there was rumors about them bolting for Milwaukee.  Put a shitty team on the field and not fix it, then nobody will care about your franchise.  In the case of the Packers they have had a very good product now since the early 1990s.

nexus73

Quote from: Alex on December 21, 2016, 11:35:51 PM
The Los Angeles Leftovers might be suitable considering thats what the franchise will get from sharing a home with the Lambs franchise.

If this site had likes, I'd give you 10 thumbs up for the "Leftovers" moniker.  That cracked me up!

Rick

MikeTheActuary

If there are concerns with being in a too-small stadium in the interim, and considering how the NFL has been testing the waters of the British market...why not send them to London for a couple of years?

DTComposer

No one is concerned about being in a too-small stadium short-term. I think this sums up the whole situation pretty well:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-diego-chargers-los-angeles-move-relocation-011217?cmpid=feed:-sports-MSNcom

In the court of public opinion, the Chargers will be battling UCLA to be the fourth most popular team in the L.A. market, behind USC, the Raiders in absentia, and distantly behind those two the Rams.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.