News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

St. Louis Express Lanes

Started by CapeCodder, October 25, 2016, 05:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodder

When I lived in Saint Louis, I always wondered why 70 had express lanes, yet 64 (40), 44, and 55 did not. I mean 70 does serve north county, where most of the 90 something municipalities in St. Louis County are located. I would've thought 64 and 44 might need them.

US 41

I didn't even know St Louis had express lanes. Are they actually necessary in St Louis? I've drove through St Louis three times and I've never had any problems.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

CapeCodder

I've never even seen them used before, except the odd two or three cars that would traverse them.

kphoger

I've seen them used every time I've driven I-70 through Saint Louis.  However, in my experience, they don't save a whole lot of time.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

The Ghostbuster

Would anyone advocate building a network of Express Lanes throughout the St. Louis freeway system?

kphoger

What the city needs is a huge tunnel all the way from Fenton to East Saint Louis.[/rant]
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Revive 755

Quote from: US 41 on October 25, 2016, 05:26:38 PM
I didn't even know St Louis had express lanes. Are they actually necessary in St Louis?

Not anymore, but I believe they were more effective back when downtown St. Louis was more of the hub of the region.  Last I heard they were open only for EB traffic 24/7/365.

Alex

Quote from: Revive 755 on October 25, 2016, 06:51:18 PM
Quote from: US 41 on October 25, 2016, 05:26:38 PM
I didn't even know St Louis had express lanes. Are they actually necessary in St Louis?

Not anymore, but I believe they were more effective back when downtown St. Louis was more of the hub of the region.  Last I heard they were open only for EB traffic 24/7/365.

They were switched to inbound only in December 2011. MoDOT was supposed to consider making them reversible again following the completion of the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge, but I take it that they opted to keep them one way after all?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.