News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

WWE sucks

Started by bugo, September 14, 2012, 09:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I read that last night they jobbed Sting out to the vastly overrated Hunter Helmsley. I knew they would do it, to "prove" that WWF was better than WCW.

Stratuscaster

If Sting was going to have a long meaningful WWE career, then I might object to HHH going over. But the guy is in his mid-50's and likely doesn't have that many more matches in him.

He got his moment on the big stage, he's now got the WWE hype & marketing machine behind him, and can now put in a light schedule and get paid well for it on his way to retirement and the Hall of Fame.

It was an attraction match. Nothing more.

bugo

Levesque isn't much younger than Borden. Levesque is a terrible wrestler with horrible mic skills and a douchebag look and attitude. He's the booker, and he constantly books himself to win despite the fact that he's washed up and over the hill and never was that good to begin with. Sting is a living legend, and while he is in the twilight of his career has far more charisma than the boring Helmsley. Helmsley is washed up. Sting is not. If Sting were the booker and had wrestled in the WWF for many years and Helmsley were a WCW import then Sting would have won the match. HHH is at the stage in his career where he needs to be jobbed out to young rising talent, not booking himself to win meaningless matches. Fuck the WWE, Jean Michael Levesque, and Vince McMahon.

ctsignguy

Worse than awful...it is like since there is no competition, why bother trying?

Having read scuttlebutt that some high-powered investors are unhappy with the current WWE product, returns for investment, etc; and supposedly, a couple of such have filed suit with the notion of stripping control of the WWE from Vince and Co....

*muses* it would be such fun to see the McMahons thrown out and the Crocketts coming in to take over!!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

bugo

It will be Step-On-Me Mac Mahon and Hunter Michael Levesque who will be running the WWE after Wince kicks the bucket. I give it 5 years before either power will be stripped from them or it goes out of business.

texaskdog

Guy runs in with a briefcase for a cheap win.  THAT'S your championship match at your premier event.

Alex

I haven't caught much of WWE in the last couple of months due to being too busy with other things, moving, etc. But I do keep up with it on my Twitter feed, and while the card at WM31 seemed to go over well, I did gather that the Sting/HHH match was more of a fiasco than anything else. UT appeared to have wrestled well, and the main even had a swerve that seemed very good.

The lack of competition continues to be a detriment to professional wrestling, though the indie scene appears to be more robust. I am still partial to ROH and caught a fantastic show of their's in FL back in November. TNA needs to rebrand a bit more and do less talking segments and more matches. Until they get that down, they'll be treading water. Going to see them at Universal next month either way.

DeaconG

Wrestling's dead, folks...listen to Jim Cornette on the subject...

https://youtu.be/IOjzJMuXpGo

I remember watching wrestling from the time I was a little boy (All Star Wrestling at 1 PM at Championship Wrestling at 4 PM on Saturdays on UHF TV in Philly), through the 80's and 90's (when at one time we had five wrestling groups in the country [WWE, WCW, AWA, World Class, UWF]) and stopped watching around the early 2000's when ECW went away.

Even with the "dirt sheets" and "kayfabe" I still appreciated good wrestling and a good work.  Incompetence killed the biz and it ain't coming back.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

bugo

Jim Cornette is awesome. He tells it like it is and doesn't hold back. I hated him when I was a kid but now I realize that it was because he was such a great heel.

DeaconG

Quote from: bugo on April 01, 2015, 08:42:51 PM
Jim Cornette is awesome. He tells it like it is and doesn't hold back. I hated him when I was a kid but now I realize that it was because he was such a great heel.

Go find his five part series on why he left Ring of Honor.  You'll alternately laugh your ass off and make you want to shoot someone.
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

texaskdog

Quote from: DeaconG on April 01, 2015, 09:06:42 PM

Go find his five part series on why he left Ring of Honor.  You'll alternately laugh your ass off and make you want to shoot someone.

must...find...

ROH is so boring

DeaconG

Quote from: texaskdog on April 02, 2015, 10:55:39 AM
Quote from: DeaconG on April 01, 2015, 09:06:42 PM

must...find...

ROH is so boring

Here's Part 1:

https://youtu.be/Db_AcJIRe6M

Incompetence, whiny-ass bullshit and some straight up stupidity...it basically put Jim's health at risk and he decided to walk away before he became a statistic.  Unfortunately I've worked for a few companies like this, and yeah, it ain't fun at all.

EDIT: Apparently Parts 2 thru 5 have disappeared from YouTube...damn shame, because he gets into serious specifics on what happened.

Stratuscaster

When you have the time, I highly encourage fans to listen to the podcasts of Jim Cornette and Jim Ross (as well as Chris Jericho, Steve Austin, and Colt Cabana). So much of the "hows and whys" are explained, along with the commentary on why some things shouldn't be done they way they are. Cornette's easy to dislike, but you learn that despite that he's hard-headed and "old-school" to some, he cares way too much about the business to be involved while others screw it up.

Part of me wishes ROH was available to view in my area. Then part of me is glad I can't.

I won't sit and argue over if HHH is a hack over Sting or not. That match at WM31 was more of an excuse to capture older viewers familiar with Sting, and bringing out the DX and nWo factions at the end (never mind that for the most part Sting was at war with the nWo in WCW) and it becomes clear - it was a way to get a bunch of guys from the Attitude Era and the Monday Night Wars on the show - and to drive interest in the Network. My wife and I figured that out as soon as they announces the match was "no DQ."

The Undertaker match...left me underwhelmed. There was far too little storyline build-up, there was no reason for me to care about it. If I'm booking Undertaker, it's to have him give a promo about how "this current vessel has become weak and frail, and when the time comes the spirit of the Undertaker will return." And then walk away. Does two things - one, "the Undertaker" hasn't failed or given up - just the "body" he was using. Two, it sets it up for the character to return in the future, once they find someone good enough to play that role.

The whole cashing in the MITB thing was new - no one before had cashed it in DURING a match and had that match become a triple threat. It did set up the future pretty well - Brock didn't lose, Roman gets screwed, and a Rollins/Reigns program runs through the summer while Brock takes his time off.

(Yes, I'm fully aware I'm a nerd about this.)

One idea that was bouncing around in my head in the realm of "providing content for the Network" - license or sell network "airtime" to ROH or TNA or OVW or any of the other groups that produce TV content.

stormwatch7721

The part I hated about WrestleMania 31 was Stephanie McMahon and Triple H claiming the own the stadium. I just wish "The Authority"
storyline would somehow end.

Stratuscaster

Lance Storm made a great point on (I think) Jim Cornette's podcast (it might have been Chris Jericho's - he did both recently) - the Mr. McMahon/Corporation/Authority storyline has been in play for over 20 years. The fans have been conditioned to "hate" those in charge. So why is there surprise when they book something to happen or someone to go over and the fans react negatively? They've only been pushing that reaction for 20+ years.

SSOWorld

WCW did and TNA does the same damn thing due to having to keep up the competitive nature and keep up with WWE.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alex

Have listened to just about every one of Jim Ross' podcast. The two interviews with Jim Cornette were especially good. Listening to them does make one long for the old territory days, but that concept cannot exist in today's world of instant information due to social media.

Like bugo, I also hated Cornette as a kid. That's definitely a testament to how good of a heel he was.

Stratuscaster

Crappy booking and storylines can still be overcome.

I'm interested in how they are booking Sheamus' return as a heel. His face run went on for far too long and made the character soft.

Bring back managers for the heels and let THEM draw the heat and break the rules (of course, there have to be rules to break in the first place) instead of "the authority." The trouble with that is there are very few good managers around - because they've not had any for so long.

Alex

Quote from: Stratuscaster on April 05, 2015, 07:19:09 PM
Crappy booking and storylines can still be overcome.

I'm interested in how they are booking Sheamus' return as a heel. His face run went on for far too long and made the character soft.

Bring back managers for the heels and let THEM draw the heat and break the rules (of course, there have to be rules to break in the first place) instead of "the authority." The trouble with that is there are very few good managers around - because they've not had any for so long.

That and Vince generally hates the concept of managers.

Not everyone can be Paul Heyman, but you don't have to be at that level to help offset someone who lacks in their mic work.

Truth Martini does a good job in ROH and at one point was managing five wrestlers (He even briefly managed the rebranded Head Bangers who wore masks as the Guardians of Truth). I like his work with the heel turn of Jay Lethal.

Valets still have a place too, look at how Maria Kanellis works well in drawing heat with the Kingdom.

Stratuscaster

Agreed (taking your word for ROH, because Sinclair doesn't have an affiliate in Chicago.)

Really, overall, they just need to slow the heck down and craft some stories that run for more than 6 weeks.

DeaconG

Quote from: Stratuscaster on April 04, 2015, 07:53:27 PM
Lance Storm made a great point on (I think) Jim Cornette's podcast (it might have been Chris Jericho's - he did both recently) - the Mr. McMahon/Corporation/Authority storyline has been in play for over 20 years. The fans have been conditioned to "hate" those in charge. So why is there surprise when they book something to happen or someone to go over and the fans react negatively? They've only been pushing that reaction for 20+ years.

It was with Jim Cornette and I remember listening to it.  Gee, they wonder why the crowd tried to disrupt the matches with the chants?  They want what they want and WWE isn't giving it to them, and if they're being encouraged to do it, then why be surprised?

They need to go back to booking instead of scripting, as Jim Cornette described it the way it used to be: "The booker tells the guys 'Look, this is the guy who wins, I need ten minutes, work it out', then they get together with the ref and figure out how they're gonna work the match; if they want to do something different they run it by the booker and if he approves they go with it. That way the wrestlers figure out what they're supposed to do and what works instead of having their every move scripted."

To quote the late Rick Rude, "White hat...black hat...what more do you need?"

Billy F 1988

WWE to me is a joke now that we all know how that is. I've only watched the "true" WWF Monday Night RAW on several occasions, some Nitro and Thunder here and there, but then afterwards, about 2003 on forward, I never watched WWE again. It's junk. There's no real sense of pride in the championships they bill. I mean, sure, if one wins a certain title, it's an accomplishment, but back in the WWF vs. WCW days, championships meant way more than they are now. Sadly, we lose out on the greatest champions of this sport like Mark Callaway (The Undertaker), Glenn Jacobs (the BEST performer as Kane), Paul Bearer, their legendary manager, Ravishing Rick Rude, "Nature Boy" Ric Flair, "Macho Man" Randy Savage, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin and a whole bunch of other GOOD WWE wrestlers to fucking filth and vermin of so-called "WWE Superstars" and greedy sons-of-bitches like one Vinny Mac? Yeah. Don't like him. HHH? Phooey. Flat junk. He was so in his prime when he fought against HBK, but now he's nothing but a duplicitous, power hungry sloth. Shane McMahon? Don't know him. Vickie Guerrero...snooty bitch is all I can think of her. And for good ole Chavo, Eddie's uncle, hypocrite! I mean, I can list a whole bunch more that I can easily name them as filthy vermin. I'd pay to see Stone Cold lay the stunner on Brock Lesnar because the bottom line on him is that he's too far gone from bottom line. He just killed every fitting piece of Undertaker's legacy, even his 21-0 winning WrestleMania streak. If 2015 is the last time we see the Dead Man walk to the squared circle, then let him lay Brock Lesnar six feet under! Rest in piss, WWE! These legends are fading thanks to filthy vermin like the McMahon's, HHH, and others sending the product far beyond bottom line.

Personally, if the WWE fell under, I would laugh. It deserves the laughing stock hat! It's people like Vince McMahon, Brock Lesnar, HHH and the fat pig, a la Paul Heyman, that are bringing the company under deep water. They've pretty much killed whatever legacy is left for professional wrestling. Jim Ross is out, and we're stuck with a former CBS war reporter in his place, a la the man of whom he quotes a nobody of an anonymous RAW/SMACKDOWN general manager, Michael Cole (and yes, he worked for CBS before heading to WWE). I guess Jerry "The King" Lawler is next in line to hit the road soon. Too bad. I kinda liked The King's color commentary when Vince was doing it and even with JR after the fact.

Oh, what about them...divas? Diva my rear hind skin! Give me back the true divas like that of Chyna, Sable, and Trish Stratus...and those before them!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.