News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google launches Map Maker in the U.S!

Started by Dr Frankenstein, April 19, 2011, 12:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

Seeing how active the "Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps" thread is, I assume this will be quite popular here.

Google Map Maker is basically a tool that you can use to edit the Google Maps data. Yes, the real stuff millions of users rely on. Of course, your edits go through moderation before being pushed to the live map.
It was originally available in a few countries, mostly in the Carribean.

Official article: http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2011/04/add-your-local-knowledge-to-map-with.html
PCWorld article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/225558/google_map_maker_launches_in_the_us.html
Article from the initial 2008 release: http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2008/06/making-your-mark-on-world.html

NE2

Given what changes made by Google employees they've already let through internal 'moderation', I expect to see many more errors like all of US 64 being marked as the Knightdale Bypass.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

WillWeaverRVA

Well, at any rate, time to remove the secondary route numbers from roads in Henrico County (which has no numbered secondary routes, although it sort of does internally)...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

rickmastfan67

There is only two things I want to fix in Google.

1. See if I can get FL-9A shields on the map finally. I've been fighting with Google on that one, and everytime they say I'm right, the shields still don't get posted. :banghead:
2. See if I can get the non-freeway segment of I-376 Business shown correctly.

Otherwise, I don't know of anything else I want to deal with on that.

Bickendan

I'm trying to get the US 30 freeway in NW Portland marked as such.
Then I'll try to get Bypass 30 marked at least as US 30B.

vdeane

Does mapmaker in the US allow edits on roads?  My understanding was that it would be limited to town buildings and trails.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: deanej on April 20, 2011, 09:18:49 AM
Does mapmaker in the US allow edits on roads?  My understanding was that it would be limited to town buildings and trails.

From what I learned playing around with it last night, you can't edit geometry for current roads, but you could correct names and what type they are.  As well as fix route "relations".

agentsteel53

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on April 19, 2011, 12:32:20 PM
It was originally available in a few countries, mostly in the Carribean.

I wonder how they picked those countries as test subjects.  Presence of offshore bank accounts?  :pan:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

english si

Small areas, poorly mapped, English speaking (in the main part) - they make good trial countries.

Dr Frankenstein

I can't wait 'til they add Canada... so many things to fix.

PAHighways

I see someone fixed the color of the Uniontown-Brownsville section of Turnpike 43.

I was expecting to find a pop-up box, like in Waze, with information on a specific segment to edit as I was going to delete "Amos K. Hutchinson Bypass" from US 119 near Mount Pleasant and PA 66 between New Stanton and South Greensburg.

algorerhythms

I tried correcting the error in the routing of US 77 in Norman, Oklahoma, but the correction was rejected.

Scott5114

Probably because Google thinks that Tecumseh still ends at Porter and not 12th Street.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2011, 11:47:43 PM
Probably because Google thinks that Tecumseh still ends at Porter and not 12th Street.
The map on the Mapmaker site shows Tecumseh continuing to 12th Street, but when I tried to mark it as a "major artery" and upgrade it to US 77, I got a reply that said "This segment of Tecumseh Rd. is not part of US 77."

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on April 20, 2011, 06:15:46 PM
I see someone fixed the color of the Uniontown-Brownsville section of Turnpike 43.

That would be me. ;)  Still waiting for it to be approved.  So, any other person who has a Google account, go review it and say it's right. ;)

PAHighways

Scott5114

Quote from: algorerhythms on April 20, 2011, 11:55:50 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 20, 2011, 11:47:43 PM
The map on the Mapmaker site shows Tecumseh continuing to 12th Street, but when I tried to mark it as a "major artery" and upgrade it to US 77, I got a reply that said "This segment of Tecumseh Rd. is not part of US 77."

Submit it again with a link to the ODOT Control Section Map. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Tarkus

I've started going around fixing things up in Oregon.  I noticed that the default speed limit that Google Maps puts on all freeways is 55mph, 35mph for any arterial, and 25mph for any other road, which probably explains why some of their directions can be kind of screwy sometimes.

Bickendan

^Could you approve my changes on US 30 between NW Vaughn and Nicolai, then? I can't edit the Vaughn to I-405 segments until the other's approved.

Alex

I've edited a few things around Florida, south Alabama, and Delaware. Mainly erroneous shields or wrong road types, but also added a few new roads/interchanges.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on April 21, 2011, 06:10:07 PM
I've edited a few things around Florida, south Alabama, and Delaware. Mainly erroneous shields or wrong road types, but also added a few new roads/interchanges.

Hey Alex, think you could approve the 9A shield fixes that I made?

WillWeaverRVA

Seems Map Maker isn't working at the moment, attempting to choose an area returns a "this service is temporarily unavailable" error.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Tarkus

Quote from: Bickendan on April 21, 2011, 04:27:52 PM
^Could you approve my changes on US 30 between NW Vaughn and Nicolai, then? I can't edit the Vaughn to I-405 segments until the other's approved.

Got those and your US-26 re-routes by I-405.

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on April 21, 2011, 11:13:37 PM
Seems Map Maker isn't working at the moment, attempting to choose an area returns a "this service is temporarily unavailable" error.

Yeah, it's intermittently doing that.  Was working fine for me a few years ago, and now I'm getting the message.

Bickendan

I get a lot of "Some or all of a road needed for your request is being reviewed, please try later". Thanks, Google.

mightyace

I'd like to remove TN's hidden designations from there maps as they aren't signed in the field and my phone keeps wanting to use them instead of the posted route number.

What do you think is the chance of getting that through?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.