News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

South Carolina

Started by wriddle082, January 30, 2011, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

I leave for Pawley's Island on May 30th. I'll be coming in on I-20, exiting onto SC 39, go through Orangeburg, to US 301, to US 521, to US 17 to our resort. Is there anything I need to be warned about along these routes?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on March 18, 2015, 11:53:12 PM
For those of you who live in or travel through Columbia and need to get to Richmond or Washington DC, do you prefer to go I-20/95 or I-77/85/95? Mapquest says 20/95 is slightly shorter, but I just don't like I-95 in NC. Traffic doesn't flow as easily and the road just seems to drag on. After all the widening and road construction, I-85 between Charlotte and Greensboro is much more pleasant. If this way is longer, it's only by maybe 15 minutes or so. So my vote goes to I-77/85/95, but I'm curious to see what you all think.

Could I kindly ask a moderator to take this post and the posts related to it and separate them from this thread and consolidate them into a new topic? I didn't know where to post this question originally since it could go on the South Carolina or Virginia (or even North Carolina) pages. But maybe it would be more appropriate as a standalone topic in the Southeast board. I have more I want to say about this topic, but now realize this conversation would be better kept separate from the South Carolina-specific page. Thanks in advance, and my apologies.  :)

Henry

Everybody knows that connecting I-126 to SC 277 is purely pie in the sky. And I don't see the need for another spur into downtown, with the aforementioned two already there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

D-Dey65

Google Maps gives the southbound I-95 Santee Rest Area the street name of "Southrest Lane." Is that official, or is it something Google made up?

Mileage Mike

Interstate 526 killed by SC State officials and NIMBY's in Charleston.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20151106/PC16/151109596

The Ghostbuster

Is this cancelation permanent?

Mileage Mike

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 19, 2015, 04:06:57 PM
Is this cancelation permanent?

Theoretically it's possible that the road could still be built.  But with the rapid development occurring in the proposed corridor, the cost will probably be approaching $1B by the time they realize they screwed up by not building it.  At which point if it ever does get built, it would likely have to be a tollway.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Cemajr on November 16, 2015, 05:31:49 PM
Interstate 526 killed by SC State officials and NIMBY's in Charleston.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20151106/PC16/151109596
Christ, they're going to do the same shit they've done in other Metro Areas and create the same damn problems!

froggie

Hard to say.  That's a roadway with a huge price tag and HUGE environmental impacts.  I just don't think the traffic relief is worth those costs.  Nevermind that the Charleston area is overbuilt anyway....all it'll take is another Hugo and half that development will be wiped out.

Alex

Carter forwarded this to me this morning. The S.C. 153 extension will stem north from the partial interchange with US 123 than veer west and north to Saluda Dam Road.

Plan to relieve U.S. 123 traffic moving forward

QuoteThe $20 million extension of Highway 153 appears to be moving forward after a regional transportation planning group fired off a blistering letter to members of Congress complaining that the project remained mired in red tape eight years after local officials had designated it a high priority.

QuoteThe 3.4-mile project is designed to reduce traffic congestion on U.S. 123 by giving motorists an alternative route to certain destinations.

QuoteThe plan would extend Highway 153 beyond its intersection with U.S. 123, taking it over railroad tracks and along Rolling Hills Circle behind the Walmart-anchored Easley Town Center.

The proposed route would connect with Prince Perry Road on the other side of Walmart and from there continue across undeveloped land to Saluda Dam Road.

The road would have two lanes with a paved medium in the middle and sidewalks and bicycle paths along the stretch behind Walmart, said Tommy Elrod, Upstate program manager in SCDOT's Greenville office.

QuoteHeather Robbins, acting director of environmental services with SCDOT in Columbia, said her agency hopes to have the necessary permit from the Army Corps of Engineers by late summer of 2016 and can issue bids for the highway work after that.

Eth

I was in Charleston this past weekend and noticed this pretty old-looking sign assembly at the corner of Meeting and Spring. Are these leftover signs from an old alignment of US 17? (They'd still work today with "TO" banners added.)

Mapmikey

Quote from: Eth on December 13, 2015, 08:24:47 PM
I was in Charleston this past weekend and noticed this pretty old-looking sign assembly at the corner of Meeting and Spring. Are these leftover signs from an old alignment of US 17? (They'd still work today with "TO" banners added.)

US 17 did use Spring to Meeting but stopped doing so decades ago.  These signs visually look about the same as they did 30+ years ago.  This is the last white border US route marker in SC I am aware of...

Mike

noelbotevera

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 13, 2015, 08:48:04 PM
Quote from: Eth on December 13, 2015, 08:24:47 PM

US 17 did use Spring to Meeting but stopped doing so decades ago.  These signs visually look about the same as they did 30+ years ago.  This is the last white border US route marker in SC I am aware of...

Mike
:wow: :wow: :wow:
How has anyone noticed these? What an antique!
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

NWI_Irish96

My apologies.  Not attempting to hijack a thread but need an opinion on a specific Myrtle Beach hotel from people who live in/near or frequently travel there.  If you can be of assistance, please PM me.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

PColumbus73

Here is my idea on how to fix 20/26.

brownpelican

I like it. Nice use of the C/D lanes.

PColumbus73

Thanks! I think in order to solve the 20/26, the surrounding exits need to be grouped in, especially between St Andrews and 20

D-Dey65

Some anonymous IP posted I-395 at the on the I-95 in South Carolina article on Wikipedia, and I know that there has been a huge reconstruction project at I-95 and US 301 near Santee.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Interstate_95_in_South_Carolina&oldid=704677923

So is this intended to be a real I-395?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 12, 2016, 09:31:25 PM
Some anonymous IP posted I-395 at the on the I-95 in South Carolina article on Wikipedia, and I know that there has been a huge reconstruction project at I-95 and US 301 near Santee.
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Interstate_95_in_South_Carolina&oldid=704677923

So is this intended to be a real I-395?

Some one just screwing around, it has since been removed.

D-Dey65

Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 12, 2016, 10:21:20 PM
Yes, I saw that. But what is it going to be? I still can't find the article about it, or any thread that we had here.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 13, 2016, 01:07:36 AM
Quote from: WashuOtaku on February 12, 2016, 10:21:20 PM
Yes, I saw that. But what is it going to be? I still can't find the article about it, or any thread that we had here.

The person may be just doing some future highway thing in his/her head and making changes in Wikipedia because they can.  There is no way a new interstate would fly under-the-radar and suddenly exist without someone reporting it. 

D-Dey65

Hey, did anybody know that the Interstate 95 Exit Information Guide still thinks the Pee Dee Rest Areas are open. I mean it'd be cool if they were, but they aren't.

http://www.i95exitguide.com/rest-areas/south-carolina-rest-areas/

Or did they actually rebuild and reopen them?
  :-/

Mapmikey

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 03, 2016, 10:06:21 PM
Hey, did anybody know that the Interstate 95 Exit Information Guide still thinks the Pee Dee Rest Areas are open. I mean it'd be cool if they were, but they aren't.

They were still closed when I was last through there in Nov 2015.

When still open, the mosquitoes there were terrible...

Mike

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 03, 2016, 10:42:40 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 03, 2016, 10:06:21 PM

They were still closed when I was last through there in Nov 2015.

When still open, the mosquitoes there were terrible...

Mike
Me too, and if the mosquitoes were as bad as you say, I'm glad I never explored that place. Something about it has always intrigued me though, and I've never been able to figure out what it was.

The Ghostbuster

Next time, why don't you guys bring plenty of bug spray!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.