News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Back in August 2021 I took a picture of the Chain of Lakes Rail Trail Bridge over US 17-92 in Lake Alfred.

From what I gather from Historic Aerials, the former Atlantic Coast Line Railroad line which the trail replaced didn't have a bridge over or under US 17-92. Am I right or not?

roadman65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 19, 2022, 11:08:43 AM
Back in August 2021 I took a picture of the Chain of Lakes Rail Trail Bridge over US 17-92 in Lake Alfred.

From what I gather from Historic Aerials, the former Atlantic Coast Line Railroad line which the trail replaced didn't have a bridge over or under US 17-92. Am I right or not?

Correct. It had an at grade crossing even into the nineties.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Avalanchez71

So anyone know what the criteria that Polk County uses to use a county route marker versus not using one?  Why is Deen Still Road not marked as a county road number?  Is it to discourage through traffic?  I find it a good alternative.

NJRoadfan

I almost had to take it as an alternate route once, because I-4. I think Ronald Reagan Parkway was signed as CR-54 at one time.

tolbs17

If this hasn't been posted yet, Jacksonville's first DDI is open at J Turner Butler Blvd and San Pablo Rd.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/duval-county/jacksonvilles-first-diverging-diamond-interchange-now-open/AAX6GLKYWVA27AUMKQR7HIE3MQ/

formulanone

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 21, 2022, 03:30:45 PM
So anyone know what the criteria that Polk County uses to use a county route marker versus not using one?  Why is Deen Still Road not marked as a county road number?  Is it to discourage through traffic?  I find it a good alternative.

Short answer is there's no rhyme or reason.

Usually, the signed county roads are the former state secondary roads. If the county extended the routes, then sometimes they sign them, other times, just a road name. A few counties also have their own county road system which doesn't follow the grid, so there's lots of those pentagon signs. Some counties post almost zero county road signs.

D-Dey65

edwaleni

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 21, 2022, 06:58:16 PM
If this hasn't been posted yet, Jacksonville's first DDI is open at J Turner Butler Blvd and San Pablo Rd.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/duval-county/jacksonvilles-first-diverging-diamond-interchange-now-open/AAX6GLKYWVA27AUMKQR7HIE3MQ/

You wouldn't normally think that a diverging diamond would be so newsworthy, but it is a very busy intersection, especially with Mayo Clinic right there.

Not mentioned in the report is that FDOT also put in a custom entry/exit for Mayo on the westbound ramp to FL-202 (J Turner Butler Boulevard). This gets most of the employees exiting directly to the expressway instead of dumping onto San Pablo before reaching the old ramp.

From what I have read, this fixes the traffic going east/west or south, but traffic going north on San Pablo still will see major backups because Beach Boulevard (US-90) a couple of miles north is timed to have preference at rush hour.

Also of note is Mayo Clinic is expanding that campus once again. More buildings means more patients, more doctors, more employees.

STLmapboy

Was in South Florida this past week and saw this odd style of gantry on I-95 in Pompano Beach. Is this typical of FL express lane installs? And are there more like this?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

formulanone

Quote from: STLmapboy on March 22, 2022, 04:28:36 PM
Was in South Florida this past week and saw this odd style of gantry on I-95 in Pompano Beach. Is this typical of FL express lane installs? And are there more like this?

Those are weird. There's like a dozen acute angle bracings in that gantry. Construction started in late-2020 but wasn't done until mid-2021(?). The top half of the gantry is fairly commonplace. The dozens of bolts lined up are also unusual; normally the post is mounted lower than the top of the narrow concrete wall, with a section of the barrier cut-out for the thickness of the wide vertical tube, and the barrier has a shapely form to compensate for its added width. So it looks like a new design to me.

The un-curved monotube is a lot more common over the last 15-20 years or so. (It probably better explains what I'm trying describe.)

kevinb1994

Quote from: edwaleni on March 22, 2022, 09:59:12 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 21, 2022, 06:58:16 PM

You wouldn't normally think that a diverging diamond would be so newsworthy, but it is a very busy intersection, especially with Mayo Clinic right there.

Not mentioned in the report is that FDOT also put in a custom entry/exit for Mayo on the westbound ramp to FL-202 (J Turner Butler Boulevard). This gets most of the employees exiting directly to the expressway instead of dumping onto San Pablo before reaching the old ramp.

From what I have read, this fixes the traffic going east/west or south, but traffic going north on San Pablo still will see major backups because Beach Boulevard (US-90) a couple of miles north is timed to have preference at rush hour.

Also of note is Mayo Clinic is expanding that campus once again. More buildings means more patients, more doctors, more employees.
There are more DDIs planned for the area, with one going on I-295 at the Town Center Parkway exit...that one needs it sooner than later with the headaches caused by expansion of the eponymous mall and area surrounding it. Not to mention UNF across from the Town Center. Another DDI is planned for JTB and Belfort which is another hard to drive area due to the numerous offices (technically known as Southpoint) and even the hospital there (St. Vincent's).

STLmapboy

Quote from: formulanone on March 22, 2022, 05:06:01 PM

Those are weird. There's like a dozen acute angle bracings in that gantry. Construction started in late-2020 but wasn't done until mid-2021(?). The top half of the gantry is fairly commonplace. The dozens of bolts lined up are also unusual; normally the post is mounted lower than the top of the narrow concrete wall, with a section of the barrier cut-out for the thickness of the wide vertical tube, and the barrier has a shapely form to compensate for its added width. So it looks like a new design to me.

The un-curved monotube is a lot more common over the last 15-20 years or so. (It probably better explains what I'm trying describe.)

Yeah, I've seen plenty of that down there. This was a new one for me.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

edwaleni

Quote from: STLmapboy on March 22, 2022, 08:27:33 PM
Quote from: formulanone on March 22, 2022, 05:06:01 PM

Yeah, I've seen plenty of that down there. This was a new one for me.

Hurricane resiliency.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kevinb1994 on March 22, 2022, 07:41:44 PM
There are more DDIs planned for the area, with one going on I-295 at the Town Center Parkway exit...that one needs it sooner than later with the headaches caused by expansion of the eponymous mall and area surrounding it. Not to mention UNF across from the Town Center.
How would this affect the intersection with St. John's Bluff Road? There doesn't seem to be enough room to switch to the "wrong way" between there and I-295 and still provide left turn lanes for that intersection? 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/30%C2%B020'05.0%22N+81%C2%B039'35.0%22W/@30.2688061,-81.5234551,935m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xae306a1ea7be3a7c!8m2!3d30.334722!4d-81.659722?hl=en

VTGoose

So the grandson has a birthday to day (party on Saturday) so it was time for another Mountains to the SeaGulf trip. Nothing really unusual -- a portion of I-77 was under construction, per some hidden rule in the North Carolina constitution that requires perpetual work on that highway. Pavement in South Carolina on I-95 was its typical ruts and bumps in places although traffic was behaving. Savannah really needs another lane or two on I-95 due to the traffic volume.

Then we get to Florida. Because we were in my Honda Passport instead of our Odyssey, gas stops were not the same. Rather than trust what we might find on U.S. 301, we didn't get off at Yulee but opted to continue to I-295 to pick up I-10 to Baldwin. Now I know why I avoid that section. The interchange of I-295 and I-95 is a giant mess, with old lanes, lane shifts, and a confusion of ramps. I hope the final product will be an improvement worth the inconvenience. The interchange on I-10 and 301 is also a mess, more than 5 years after we started making these trips. Exiting the interstate to head south on 301 uses a combination of the old, tight ramp and a small part of the new ramp (which doesn't look to be any less tight). Based on the progress? on this, I suspect our grandson will be entering college about the time it is completed (he turns 2 today).

So, the question -- does Florida bid projects as long-term make-work contracts to keep people employed for a long period of time?

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

D-Dey65

I really wish FDOT Region 2 would make use of this extra right-of-way along northbound I-75 and SR 222 (Exit 390).

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6885293,-82.4459432,3a,75y,20.38h,91.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJXYwAaZpBpEIs8RCij9ydw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

It seems that an east to northbound loop ramp was originally wanted. Something which probably could've connected to the west to northbound on-ramp, just like you see with the southbound on-ramp.

formulanone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 31, 2022, 06:45:12 PM
I really wish FDOT Region 2 would make use of this extra right-of-way along northbound I-75 and SR 222 (Exit 390).

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6885293,-82.4459432,3a,75y,20.38h,91.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJXYwAaZpBpEIs8RCij9ydw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

It seems that an east to northbound loop ramp was originally wanted. Something which probably could've connected to the west to northbound on-ramp, just like you see with the southbound on-ramp.

The traffic backed up on SR 222 towards I-75 South, warranting the 270-degree C/D lane, but there isn't as much demand for I-75 to CR 222 West. However, there's still a long line from I-75 North onto SR 222 East, due to the proximity of Santa Fe College, but the existing ROW can't reasonably be used for that movement, without putting some unusual over-arching ramp in its place.

Alex

Quote from: VTGoose on March 30, 2022, 02:53:47 PM
So the grandson has a birthday to day (party on Saturday) so it was time for another Mountains to the SeaGulf trip. Nothing really unusual -- a portion of I-77 was under construction, per some hidden rule in the North Carolina constitution that requires perpetual work on that highway. Pavement in South Carolina on I-95 was its typical ruts and bumps in places although traffic was behaving. Savannah really needs another lane or two on I-95 due to the traffic volume.

Then we get to Florida. Because we were in my Honda Passport instead of our Odyssey, gas stops were not the same. Rather than trust what we might find on U.S. 301, we didn't get off at Yulee but opted to continue to I-295 to pick up I-10 to Baldwin. Now I know why I avoid that section. The interchange of I-295 and I-95 is a giant mess, with old lanes, lane shifts, and a confusion of ramps. I hope the final product will be an improvement worth the inconvenience. The interchange on I-10 and 301 is also a mess, more than 5 years after we started making these trips. Exiting the interstate to head south on 301 uses a combination of the old, tight ramp and a small part of the new ramp (which doesn't look to be any less tight). Based on the progress? on this, I suspect our grandson will be entering college about the time it is completed (he turns 2 today).

So, the question -- does Florida bid projects as long-term make-work contracts to keep people employed for a long period of time?

Bruce in Blacksburg

I find it best to avoid that never ending mess at US 301 and I-10 at Baldwin. A viable alternative I have used several times now is SR 228 east from US 301 to POW/MIA Pkwy north to SR 23/First Coast Expressway. SR 228 is two lanes but no signals. POW/MIA Pkwy is an arterial cut off to SR 23, and the benefit is that SR 23 north from there is actually Cecil Commerce Pkwy and toll free.

No ridiculous long queues of semi's at I-10 to deal with that way. Try it on your next pass through.

VTGoose

Quote from: Alex on March 31, 2022, 10:57:14 PM

I find it best to avoid that never ending mess at US 301 and I-10 at Baldwin. A viable alternative I have used several times now is SR 228 east from US 301 to POW/MIA Pkwy north to SR 23/First Coast Expressway. SR 228 is two lanes but no signals. POW/MIA Pkwy is an arterial cut off to SR 23, and the benefit is that SR 23 north from there is actually Cecil Commerce Pkwy and toll free.

No ridiculous long queues of semi's at I-10 to deal with that way. Try it on your next pass through.

That still dumps you on I-10 to get to I-295. Getting on or off U.S. 301 at Youlee avoids all that mess and is pretty traffic free. The Baldwin bypass (finally completed) makes that even easier since it avoids worry about being caught at the CSX grade crossing. At least the new ramp from 301 north to I-10 east was completed a couple of years ago, so there are no more backups due to the left turn onto the old ramp.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

D-Dey65

Quote from: VTGoose on April 01, 2022, 10:02:09 AM
Quote from: Alex on March 31, 2022, 10:57:14 PM

That still dumps you on I-10 to get to I-295. Getting on or off U.S. 301 at Youlee avoids all that mess and is pretty traffic free. The Baldwin bypass (finally completed) makes that even easier since it avoids worry about being caught at the CSX grade crossing. At least the new ramp from 301 north to I-10 east was completed a couple of years ago, so there are no more backups due to the left turn onto the old ramp.

Bruce in Blacksburg

The only thing I don't like about the Baldwin Bypass is that there's an intersection with US 90 instead of an interchange. I think it could've used an interchange to keep the flow of north and south traffic moving. It wouldn't have to be anything elaborate. Just a diamond interchange or a small SPUI.

Also, besides the north-to-eastbound US 301 ramp to I-10, you've got the west-to-northbound ramp to US 301. I can't wait to see the rest of the project finished.

D-Dey65

Does everybody see this overhead sign gantry at the southwest end of the US 17-92 overlap in Lake Alfred?

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.076456,-81.731361,3a,75y,239.16h,103.28t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sPARyaDE-wIyEPAbI5165Zw!2e0!5s20160601T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

This was torn down when the Chain of Lakes Rail Trail Bridge was built over the road. I think it should be brought back, but on the east side of the bridge.

D-Dey65

New quest, people;

According to Historic Aerials, US 92 used to be a one-way pair in Auburndale until sometime in the 1960's. Westbound US 92 ran along Bridgers Avenue and had the hidden State Road 600, while eastbound US 92 ran along the current path but also had a hidden extension of State Road 544, which also included what is now Old Winter Haven Road and Jersey Road.

All I need are the dates for these designations. Besides Historical Aerials, the usual online source (UF Digital Collection) isn't telling me anything.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 02, 2022, 04:41:21 PM
New quest, people;

According to Historic Aerials, US 92 used to be a one-way pair in Auburndale until sometime in the 1960's. Westbound US 92 ran along Bridgers Avenue and had the hidden State Road 600, while eastbound US 92 ran along the current path but also had a hidden extension of State Road 544, which also included what is now Old Winter Haven Road and Jersey Road.

All I need are the dates for these designations. Besides Historical Aerials, the usual online source (UF Digital Collection) isn't telling me anything.

Have you tried archive.org for FDOT materials (there is a lot) and maybe even the AASHTO database?

NE2

New quest, people;

I see no such thing. Topos have no one-way arrows. 1952 and 1957 aerials show both alignments as two-way.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 02, 2022, 04:44:00 PM
New quest, people;

Have you tried archive.org for FDOT materials (there is a lot) and maybe even the AASHTO database?
I can't trust archive.org for too much anymore other than a few old short films. Far too often I try to look for something there, and they given me an error message, or say that it's flat out not archived.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.