News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: TheCleanDemon on May 15, 2024, 10:50:29 AM
Quote from: I-55 on May 14, 2024, 12:24:24 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2024, 06:19:53 AMOf course any interstate will bring sprawl, what won't I-69 be different? Indy is a big city with a large metro area. Of course developers will take advantage of the I-69 corridor now it's being extended to build more mixed use developments.

Look at Muncie to the Northeast. I-69 fueled that city's growth providing a direct link to Indy and its closest suburbs. The Southwest side ain't any different.

As a more recent example, Fishers has grown by 1,000% since 1990 from less than 10,000 to around 100,000. Noblesville is up 400% in the same timespan, both fueled by access to Interstate 69. Anderson and Muncie have been in slow-steady decline, though I think Anderson will recover when Indy sprawl covers all the land between SR 37 and Anderson.

Shelbyville has been on 74 for what, 50 years(?), and has never experienced a population explosion. If I-69 was fueling growth in Fishers, why didn't Fishers explode in 1971 when the highway was built?

No doubt, Fishers and Noblesville benefit from I-69 but their growth has a lot more to do with being adjacent to the more populated and affluent part of Marion County.

I worked on a research project in Shelbyville about 25 years ago, and interviewed a lot of local leaders - all of them were talking about how to draw growth their direction; they lamented how the town's doctors all lived in Carmel, and the town had a "hick" reputation; no high-end housing being built there. We examined the community's reception to new Hispanic residents, it was quite eye-opening, but as I've learned over the years, nothing particularly unique to that town.
Off-Topic / Re: TV shows set in cities tha...
Last post by Max Rockatansky - May 16, 2024, 10:32:52 PM
Fallout was kind of a mixed bag on the road layout of Los Angeles.  There was a couple highway signs but nothing quite to the scale of what I got accustomed to in New Vegas.  I don't recall seeing a single reassurance shield at any point during the run of the show.
Off-Topic / Re: Oddities that defy convent...
Last post by Max Rockatansky - May 16, 2024, 10:26:00 PM
The bottom was somewhere and people were only going to stay away so long with cheap properties available.  Now parts of the city are becoming popular for gentrification. 
Off-Topic / Re: TV shows set in cities tha...
Last post by bing101 - May 16, 2024, 10:13:56 PM
Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on December 13, 2023, 06:37:00 AMThe most common TV Show/Movie geographic mistakes are the numerous TV and streaming movies that are actually shot in Canada (usually near Vancouver) that are supposed to take place in various locations in the US.  I presume that is why all of the outdoor scenery in these movies resembles the Pacific northwest.  The biggest tell for me are the street signs, that are Canadian style like the unlabeled One-Way signs, RR crossing signs, etc.  They never try to hide or alter them.  The most blatant example I ever saw was in a movie that was supposed to be taking place in Texas.  In one scene there was a Canadian metric speed limit sign that said "Maximum", not Speed Limit.  Nothing in that scene looked like a ranch, which is what it was supposed to be.

Are the Texas scenes filmed in Alberta's cities like Edmonton and Calgary? Yes its to offset the expensive filming costs in Vancouver and Toronto type situation.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-s-film-production-ready-to-jump-into-high-gear-with-new-soundstages-1.6229752

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-cannes-france-international-film-awards-1.6852475

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-screen-industries-1.6668748
Suggestions and Questions / Re: Theme Change?
Last post by on_wisconsin - May 16, 2024, 09:58:31 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2024, 09:33:28 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on May 16, 2024, 04:45:19 PMCould we potentially just change the background colors from white and navy blue to something greener as an interim solution?

That would be about as much work as redoing the theme entirely, honestly.

Which a couple of us are working on, just...stuff comes up.

Will the current theme still be the default for mobile users?
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Delaware
Last post by 74/171FAN - May 16, 2024, 09:57:26 PM
Quote from: Dough4872 on May 16, 2024, 09:11:39 PMhttps://deldot.gov/Publications/manuals/traffic_counts/pdfs/2018/2018Interstate_USRoutes_DelawareRoutes.pdf?cache=1585496964656 The DelDOT log from 2018 seems to imply DE 23 ends at US 9/DE 404 and DE 1D ends at DE 23. Road 18A is the connector from DE 1D/DE 23 to US 9/DE 404

Yeah, that is what I am seeing from the Traffic Counts Map.

Thread in Travel Mapping Forum for anyone that would like to comment:  https://forum.travelmapping.net/index.php?topic=6234.0
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by Henry - May 16, 2024, 09:50:15 PM
VA 189:

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Gordie Howe Bridge (US-Can...
Last post by Henry - May 16, 2024, 09:47:40 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 15, 2024, 04:29:08 PM
So this is going to be the longest cable-stayed bridge in North America when it opens? I can see it losing its title to the Francis Scott Key Bridge if it is rebuilt as one (as we're all expecting now).
Northeast / Re: Massachusetts
Last post by pderocco - May 16, 2024, 09:42:32 PM
Quote from: shadyjay on May 16, 2024, 04:16:53 PMTell that to ConnDOT, then.  A couple years ago, they created a new left exit on I-91 North in Hartford and have another one going in soon in Meriden.  I know they're not preferred, but it could be done in the I-295 to I-95 case relatively easy, and the wide variable median makes the dropoff point only require a bridge over one direction of I-95. 
It all depends on the state's policy. Mass may still be in the 20th century, so to speak. But it would still be a lot easier to do a trumpet, because that would just be a piece of road on the ground, no new bridge work. They're never going to build the Attleboro connector. Although I'll miss those flashing yellow arrows on the big white barriers. They're so 1970s.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by Henry - May 16, 2024, 09:37:37 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on May 15, 2024, 07:29:54 PMWhy was the turnaround tolled when you aren't even crossing the bridge? MdTA does this with I-895 Exit 9 as well. I can see push back because the toll is for a bridge that no longer exists.
At least that problem doesn't exist on the Chicago Skyway. It's set up like I-895, but there are no exits until you've crossed the bridge and paid the toll. ISTHA really did their homework on that one.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.